Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Do i leave the kit car fraternity - your opinion please
b16mts

posted on 11/8/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Do i leave the kit car fraternity - your opinion please

Hey folks,

Having a serious battle with myself at the mo with what to do with the car situation. so here we go.

I have a tiger supercat. I bought the kit in 2001 from tiger, and finally got it SVA'd last summer (2009), so it now done just over 1000 miles and is great fun. The problem is that we are expecting our first child in october, and i'm spending every spare waking hour working to finish our extension before the baby comes, so ive hardly driven the car this summer and i'm back to full time work in a week.

The second problem is my daily driver: a twin turbo subaru legacy. I bought this a year ago, when my job then involved a company van, thus the predicted 5000 miles a year wasnt so painful at 20mpg. However i have since changed jobs, and ended up doing 12000 miles this 12 months (much more painful on 20mpg!)

The debate is thus: If i keep the kit, when will i have chance to use it? and will the amount of use warrant the £400 a year just to tax and insure it, never mind money for servicing, track days etc. and what do i do about the gas guzzling daily driver?

the other option is to sell both and buy a chrysler 300c estate diesel.

I know it may sound odd, but i love my unusual cars, not run of the mill stuff. plus i need to fit a wife, baby, and 2 great danes in it, plus keep me happy in comfort.

so what do you reckon?

1) keep both cars, hope to use the kit whenever i can, and try to drive the subaru gently

2) sell both, and buy something else (eg the 300c)

3) keep kit, sell the scooby and get something else that'll do the job.

which ever option i do, i dont have any extra money to part with!

cheers,

Martin

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

blakep82

posted on 11/8/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
lock the tiger away in the garage where it won't cost anything (you don't HAVE to drive it all the time, you also don't HAVE to tax it, or really insure it but its a good idea to really) and sell the subaru for something more practical until you have more time and money obviously

[Edited on 11/8/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeR

posted on 11/8/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
buy a smax - they're supposed to be good drivers cars.

get the diesel version - should be economical and lug the wife, baby and danes with ease (plus spare space if you have a roof box).

It would also make a good tow car to take the tiger to places that don't need insurance / tax / mot (places that tend to be circular in nature and not have any speed cameras).

Guinness

posted on 11/8/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a BMW 540 that did 20 mpg. I used to do 20,000 a year in it and I found that I had no money left over for fun!

Now I have a diesel Leon that does 44 mpg at 90 and I have enough spare cash to run the Indy!

Keep the car, lock it in the garage, don't tax it or insure it (put it on a laid up policy) and come back to it when you get sorted.

IMHO

Mike

Hugh_

posted on 11/8/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
My vote is lock the tiger away, and replace the scooby with something like this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201030364609977

splitrivet

posted on 11/8/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Obvious really, long term you'll lose money on the scooby you wont on the kit.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Simon

posted on 11/8/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with those that suggest flogging the Subaru. Replace that with something eco and practical (not a Chrysler 300C).

SMax/Galaxy/Espace/Diesel estate etc etc

You will get a chance to use the Tiger

ATB

Simon

RK

posted on 12/8/10 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Ditch the Slowbaru obviously. Bad on fuel, and you don't need the 4 wheel drive unless you are doing rallying all the time. Find a nice Fiesta or something that zips along, with good fuel performance. How hard is it to find storage for the kit if you don't have room?
JC

posted on 12/8/10 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Another for the keep the kit, ditch subaru! I also like 'less usual' cars and can't speak more highly of my Skoda Octavia VRS diesel estate!!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 12/8/10 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b16mts
The other option is to sell both and buy a chrysler 300c estate diesel...

That is not an 'option'... that is a 'punishment'!

It's Evolution Baby!

rf900rush

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Sell both

Plus, if you not in a hurry you may get a better price for the Tiger.

Your life is about to change big time.
You won't miss the kit car until the youngest is at school .

I have the same problem.
My Dax rush has little use.
Main other car is a leggacy outback. (25mpg) no turbo

Now have a 4 and 6 year old.
So, Can't go out in the Dax with the family.

Waited 5 years to take a liitle one out in it, and big grin going to nursery it the Dax.

Thinking of changing the Dax in the next coulple years, and getting a family speed boat.

I have even looked at very small contract hire cars for work.

You cn always get another kit in the future when you are a grandad.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan8400

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
+ 1 For keeping the kit

+1 on the octavia too. Great cars.

Even if you use the Tiger once a year it'll be totally worth it. I took mine out last night.... only went about 10 miles or so to a mates house but havent driven it for a couple of weeks and i missed it sooo much.

As mentioned you can sheet it down and leave it. Wont cost a penny in a garage.

Loose the scooby

Good luck
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

mookaloid

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
keep both - convert the scooby to LPG - simples

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

David Jenkins

posted on 12/8/10 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have my 'toy car' for playing and real driving.

I have a Ford Focus automatic for day-to-day driving... not exciting, but comfortable with decent handing and acceptable mpg. It's also reliable (hopefully!), dry in the rain and good for shifting the family around.

So - you can probably guess my vote - keep the Tiger, even if you have to mothball it for a while. Replace the Scooby with something far more practical (you wouldn't believe the amount of car space a tiny baby requires! )

You'll also get tons of Brownie points with SWBMO if you get a REALLY practical car!

[Edited on 12/8/10 by David Jenkins]

Stott

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh_
My vote is lock the tiger away, and replace the scooby with something like this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201030364609977

+1

then get this: http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-workshop-manual-cd-9004085.htm?from=googlebase

this: http://myustools2.amazonwebstore.com/Williams-Snap-On-Master-Set-1390/M/B001355MX6.htm?traffic_src=GB&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=GB&id=uk r />

and this:
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RX1329?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed

[Edited on 12/8/10 by Stott]

Benzine

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'd keep the kit and sell the daily driver for a volvo 940 ^_^ My wee one is 11 months old and he's barely cost us anything.

Pro locost baby tips: breastfeed, washable nappies, buy clothes, toys etc from car boot sales, co-sleep, use slings instead of buggies. Babies really don't have to be expensive, if you buy all the high range buggies, cots, clothes etc etc then they will be.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Macbeast

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Keep the kit. You'll want something to do when the sex is turned off

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

02GF74

posted on 12/8/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
scoob has to go.

hang on to the kit and see how much time you have to drive/fettle/play with it - then re-assess in 1 years time.

if you spend all your time being dragged round mothercare, then sell the kit if you need the money and space.

pewe

posted on 12/8/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Sell 'em both.
Buy a SAAB 95 TDi estate and a m/bike for fun.
You can still stay on LCB - it's a broad church.
QED!
Cheers, Pewe

Vindi_andy

posted on 12/8/10 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
a couple of thoughts here.

Keep the kit on laid up policy and sell the scoob get something sensible.

Sell both put the kit money in savings account and get something sensible that way the kit money can acrue a small amount of interest ready for when you can have a kit again.

Does other half enjoy the kit if so then youll need something with at least 3 seats so the tiger is out anyway.

Either way you can always drop me a PM cos we've got loads of baby stuff we are trying to sell. pram, buggy clothes etc

eddie99

posted on 12/8/10 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Votes are 35 v 1, think that sorts that

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
b16mts

posted on 12/8/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty comprehensive I must admit!!

The thing with the kit, is really annoys me when you see the people with classics or kits or sportscars, that never use them. The keep it off road and track day it is all well and good, but track days arent free, and if i only get to do 2 or 3 a year if i'm lucky, is it really worth it?

I'm still unsure really, probably end up keep both and stop being such a bitch about it. I think its the 1 year itch i get with all my cars tbh.

Just wish i had the time to play with the kit car, part of me thinks that if i didnt have it i wouldnt miss it so much as i would having it and not using it.

cheers,

Martin

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

zilspeed

posted on 12/8/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Get the Scooby doo away asap.

Replace it with something cheap to run and consider it finished at that.

JoelP

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
keep both! The legacy is a good practical car, sod the fuel. If you really arent going to get out in the tiger, sell that, you can buy one in years to come. At least with the Legs you get regular use in a damn fast car.

I cant believe that on a forum of petrolheads the prevailing theme is to go from two fast fun cars to one diesel car, with a tiger sat in the garage doing nowt? Chop the tiger in and you'll still have one fun car.

[Edited on 12/8/10 by JoelP]

Fozzie

posted on 12/8/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Do I leave the kit car fraternity........ you ask .....
Hmmmmmm sorry but being a member on here, is a bit like The Eagles classic hit ...'Hotel California'......you can check out, but you can never leave ......

Keep the Tiger, lay it up for a while.
Believe me, and I know, but as fantastic our little bundles of joy are, sometimes they can get us feeling a bit fraught, and you will be surprised and delighted at how a quick blast in the kit, will banish the fraughtness!

Get rid of the scooby and get an all rounder for a tin-top (business/family friendly) .......

All above IMHO of course
Fozzie......

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.