Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Update and a couple of small questions
speedyxjs

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Update and a couple of small questions

Iv had a couple of quiet days at work and have been working hard on the locost. After that hassle i have had (still having) with an eBay purchase, i spent some time on the arches i brought from guiness. A bit of disection and fibreglassing and we have a much wider rear arch (please ignore the dodgy paint work, i hate doing it and will save up for a proper job post IVA):

Picked up some new trailer lights on eBay for £12 pair that arrived today which brings me to my first questions. The lights have fog lights both sides but i have only put wiring in for one light. Will mr IVA mind if only one works? Also, there are orange side marker lights with them that i have wired as indicators. Will it matter that i have (essentially) 2 side repeaters?

I also brought some cheap rubber trim on eBay (£2 per metre) to cover the dodgy aluminium cutting i did on the side panels which i thought was smooth but wasn't though i do quite like it now that it is on:

Finally, i have managed to take a picture of my full steering lock which, after a few mods has gone from about 1 3/4 turns lock to lock to 2 1/4. I know its a different rack to the 'norm' (pug 309) but does it look anything like the normal full lock? Il be a bit stumped if not as i cant think of any other way to modify them.

[Edited on 13-10-10 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

franky

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
that lock looks good to me. With that motor you'll be able to steer with the throttle and rear end anyway
jacko

posted on 13/10/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry mate but them rear lights look
The rest of the car looks BRILL
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 13/10/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Looking Good - I like the re-use of the Jag number plate lamp/trim on the back. Have to agree with Jacko on the 2nd set of rear lights though.

Not sure on the steering lock visually - can you push/drive it somewhere to get an idea of the turning circle? That migh be a better indicator of whether you have enough lock or not.

In reality limited steering lock is only an issue for parking and very low speed manouvres (sp?) where you might have a touch of the Austin Powers 50 point turn syndrome. In normal driving you never get anywhere near full lock.

Steering ratio is different and will have a big effect on the way the car drives. Do you know what ratio (or turns lock to lock) the original Jag rack was and how that compares to the Pug rack?

Dangle_kt

posted on 13/10/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
i agree, the old lights looked better.

The car is really coming on.

Are they the red front arches?

ref the lock - looks fine to me, mine is tighter but then I dont have a reverse

[Edited on 13/10/10 by Dangle_kt]

tegwin

posted on 13/10/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good..

That convoluted trim around the cockpit edges... Mr IVA might not like it... it doesnt look very "perminant"! (devils advocate here...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

se7en

posted on 13/10/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Sorry mate but them rear lights look
The rest of the car looks BRILL
Graham

& are they legal for IVA? Why I ask is that they are designed for a trailer as they have the triangle reflector inbuilt.

Tom

twybrow

posted on 13/10/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Will those rear lights pass IVA? They have a triangular reflector, which should only be used on trailers (which is what you say they are for!)....
matt_gsxr

posted on 13/10/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
regarding the fog light question (probably irrelevant given the triangular reflector but...)

You do need one that is either central or nearer the middle of the road than central. If the other side has something that looks like it should be a fog light, then that isn't a problem, just don't put a bulb in.

I had an A4 (1998 model) which was just like this. I assumed a bulb had blown but when I went to change it there was no socket for a bulb on the passenger side of the car, even though there was a lens and reflector.

Car is looking good.

Matt

speedyxjs

posted on 14/10/10 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
I quite like the rear lights. The chunkyness matches the rest of the car. Didnt realise triangular reflectors are only for trailers though

THe only reason i changed them was because it cost about the same amount as getting a new fog and reverse light. Looks like il have to go back to eBay

Cheers guys.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

deezee

posted on 14/10/10 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Are your tyres on back to front? Looks like the grooves are going in the wrong direction.

Fred W B

posted on 15/10/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
To make sense of the amoun of lock you need to measure the turn angle the wheels reach from straight ahead.

Draw a chalk line on the floor along the bottom of a board held against the wheel when its straight ahead, and again when at full lock, measure angle difference between the lines with a protractor.

Angle will be diferent on inside and outside wheel.

I've read that race cars can get away with 18 degs max, while up to 25 deg (I think?) would be usefull on the road.

cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.