Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Petrol Generator
pekwah1

posted on 18/11/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap Petrol Generator

hi guys,

just wondered if you think this is a decent buy?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/petrol-generator-850w-2-stroke

i'm only going to be using it in the garage where i have no power, probably just for lights and maybe a heater....

carpmart

posted on 18/11/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
That will NOT power a heater!

It will just about be OK for lights.

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

pekwah1

posted on 18/11/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
hah, thought that might be the case..... looks like i'm putting all my coats on instead...
if it's 850w, surely it'll be fine with a few 60w bulbs hooked up?

BenB

posted on 18/11/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Also I'd use it outside the garage unless you're found a way of making your metabolism run on carbon monoxide.
pekwah1

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
planning on building some kind of box type thing for it with an exhaust pipe vent thing, need it to be as quiet as poss to avoid getting thrown out of the flat by angry neighbours
clairetoo

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I used to run my camper on a 900 watt generator - I found a 500 watt heater (fine for a small camper , might struggle a bit in a garage though)

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Stott

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
You could run four single 4 foot tubes off it (36W each) then get a 500W oil filled radiator, it would be brighter than bulbs for less power and it would take the chill off.

You'd need cordless tools though......

Alternatively, Aldi (I think, could have been LIDL though) had a special on 3.2KW gennys last month at £79.99 each, 240/110 on pneumatic tyres etc. Last time I looked a fortnight ago and there were a few left so may be worth going to your local store and asking them to ring around for stock.

pekwah1

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
is a hacksaw, hammer, and a few screwdrivers and sockets cordless enough?!
tube lighting is probably the way forward.... are they particularly pricey?

owelly

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Those cheapy two stroke gennys are often in Macro for £39. Likewise, the likes of LIDL, Netto etc often have them.
The main problem for your application will be the noise. The air cooled 2 strokes are very noisey! If you put it in a box to kill the sound, it will soon overheat. I have a 550w four stroke and it uses very little petrol, has a fairly clean output (stable voltage etc) and is a quiet as a happy cat. I also have a 2.3kva Diesel one. It also uses not much fuel but is so noisey, it is reall unpleasant to be anywhere near it. I had it running in a barn next to the barn where I was working and even then it was horrid! It was air cooled. The 2.2kva petrol one I bought for £79.99 at Macro was so noisey I sold it on. The power output was also erratic. Anything from 190v up to 290!
Just buy an inverter and forget the gennys!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rallyingden

posted on 18/11/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Run the exhaust through a matrix of pipes to the outside of the garage, this will kill the noise, Then put a fan on one side to blow air across to warm the garage, making best use of heat generated from the suck, squeeze, bang, blow machine.

RD

Grimsdale

posted on 19/11/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rallyingden
Run the exhaust through a matrix of pipes to the outside of the garage, this will kill the noise, Then put a fan on one side to blow air across to warm the garage, making best use of heat generated from the suck, squeeze, bang, blow machine.

RD

Agreed, a generator of that size must be putting out about 2kw of thermal energy in addition to the electrical energy - it makes little sense to me to burn fuel to get heat/pressure to make electricity used for heating!

The quiet solution would be to use an inverter for the power, and burn something for warmth.

Bluemoon

posted on 19/11/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you want heat, I would think gas (or just wrap up!). If you use just florescent lights you might be better off with an inverter and leisure battery (no noise) no good for high power tools... But I would invest in a good rechargeable drill and a couple of batteries.

Dan

pekwah1

posted on 20/11/10 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
this kind of thing?
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/numax-75ah-sealed-leisure-caravanning-battery-p96547

Looks like a car battery to me..... how long would one of those run some lights for? i was never too bothered about a heater really...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.