Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi!
dhutch

posted on 6/1/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReManTalon's is the Haynes chassis.
For £450-500 built, I'd let someone else weld it!

And me!

Good to see another student. Im 23 and graduated from doing mecheng at loughborough this summer.

Spend a fair bit of time looking at buildinga locost, and then at used and partfinished mk indys before ending up buying a second had 1991 westfeild narrowbody at the end of my placement year after talking to a friend of someone local who was selling it. Two years late and ive not looked back.

Also worth speaking to andy lacaster who I got to know via this forum and wound up sharing a house with in my final year. Same age as me, scratch build a locost with his dad and did a year of racing it in the 750mc

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/members/andylancaster3000/

Daniel

RazMan

posted on 6/1/11 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I found one of the most challenging parts of my build was getting the right seats and driving position. I am not huge at 6'2" and 17 stone but headroom was the biggest issue for me. My tip would be to make use of every inch of the floor - getting your seats as low as possible - you can even fit a recessed floor pan to get some more room if necessary. Adopting a slightly more 'laid back' position also gains you more headroom but then starts to intrude on legroom. Just take a LOT of time finding the best compromise, trial fitting seat, steering wheel, pedal box, gearstick etc (brumm brumm noises are also advised ) as it is often very difficult to make radical changes later.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 6/1/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hahaha £750, i remember when i thought that. 3k+ I would say is a hard push to get a locost on the road for. I started off with the locost plan, 2years later i have a car that works and runs but not IVA'd, for around £8k. I can send you the spreadsheet if you'd like, then you will see what costs the money.
Obviously a fair chunk would have been saved using donor engine, as i went for a brand new zetec engine...
Good luck with it though, and good to see another younger person on the site

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big_john

posted on 7/1/11 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
thanks again for the replies guys, been very helpful.

ok so maybe it can't be done for so cheap. I didn't realised the IVA was so much more than the SVA, is it not virtually the same test?

looked at the aries motorsport, and looks pretty good. and i've seen a guy on retro rides build a hillclimber with it. so it's always an option. Plus, they do both Live axle, and IRS.

I've also looked at the Mcsorleys. Few questions about them, are the suspension mounts the same? Would you not need longer driveshafts? (IRS of course) Also, what did you guys do about nose cone etc?

Luckily, with the engine in the shed, i can even have a donor with a duff engine

eddie99 if it's not too much trouble, having your spread sheet would be lovely. Probably best to send it to my email guyhighinthesky@hotmail.com (i know, lol, made it when i was 11)

am i just being a noob, or is there not a section for just build threads?

[Edited on 7/1/11 by big_john]

nick205

posted on 10/1/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have look at peoples posts and follow the WWW links, or other links to peoples websites and blogs etc.

Some good ones to get you started are Flak Monkey and Hellfire.

Have you signed up to the Haynes Roadster forum? Quite a few common memebers from this site, but lots more besides and obviously focused on the Haynes.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.