Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Spare tire carrier
Canada EH!

posted on 17/3/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Spare tire carrier

Does anyone have a drawing or the measurements for the spare tire rack on the back of a Locost? The spare will be a 205 15 on a 7" wide rim. Thanks
stevec

posted on 17/3/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Why not add lightness and go faster, Carry a can of foam and a friends phone number. And save a pile of work.

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/3/11 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Do make sure that any carrier is made of steel and mounted (welded preferably) to the chassis tubes rather than the alloy or GRP body panels as if not the carrier will fatigue crack the panel no matter how thick they are

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 17/3/11 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
The problem here in the colonies is distance without road assistance (or anyone I would trust around a Locost) and the lack of proper tires locally available.

I can go to Toronto an even 100 miles, 2 hours, but not much in between.

posted on 18/3/11 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
The way I did mine was a copy of the way some 4x4's have a spare wheel mounted on the rear door.

I added a couple of extra bits to the rear chassis (see Mr Whippy's post above) with m8 threaded
bosses welded in and match drilled through the ally back panel.
This is to one side to allow room for the number plate and fog light the other side.

To this I bolted a top hat shaped bit with two wheel studs in the outer disc. This holds the wheel
about 10mm off the body. A locking wheel nut will make the wheel less nickable.

See pic below.

Cheers,
Paul G

spare wheel mount
spare wheel mount

macc man

posted on 18/3/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Before fitting the alloy back panel I welded in 2 1" angle iron pieces between 2 tubular uprights. I fitted welded nuts on the angle to support the external wheel carrier. Simple and effective with no loading on the alloy.

designer

posted on 18/3/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have always thought that the Robin Hood (YES, Robin Hood) tyre cradle was the best way to carry a spare on any Se7en type car.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.