Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Finished My First 3D Alibre Part!
beagley

posted on 8/4/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Finished My First 3D Alibre Part!

Not much to look at, but then again I've only been using the software for a week. I'm still hunting for a few dimensions, but the plan was to fit this to a 2.0L Duratec. I'm trying to stay within the confines under the bonnet, but still have a well designed manifold that provides equal air to each cylinder.

Once I get the port spacing, port size I can edit the parts to make them more accurate.

I haven't added the inlet stack yet to the bottom, but you can see the cut I've made for it.

Manifold Below
Manifold Below

For you guys in the UK this view would be from the passenger side, for us here in the states is the driver side.

Manifold Right Side
Manifold Right Side

This would obviously be looking over the top of the engine.

Manifold Left Side
Manifold Left Side

Alibre is a pretty powerful CAD program thats way cheap ($99,00) for the personal edition. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the "Book" chassis as a tutorial but didn't get very far.

Anyone else here head of/using Alibre?

Beags

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

blakep82

posted on 8/4/11 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
looks good, but seems a little over complicated? why do the pipes need to be an S shape? could they come out the top of the plenum, straight up, 90 degree turn into the engine?

and could the plenum go a lot higher?

or was it just an excercise to see if you could do it that way on the software? looks like a good cad job anyway. i certainly couldn't have done it, especially in a week

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

designer

posted on 8/4/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Agree, seems a bit convoluted.

Well drawn though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 8/4/11 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Could have done the same in Sketchup for free
beagley

posted on 8/4/11 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Agree, seems a bit convoluted.

Well drawn though.

Thanks guys.

Yes, it is QUITE convoluted but that was done on purpose. I've been trying to teach myself some of the more complex features like drawing a line in 3D space and then sweeping a shape along that path.

Hes proably thinking I'm stalking him cause I've asked so many questions about his build and the duratec, but I was looking through Flak Monkey's GTS build diary and noticed that he had to run the intake plenum out the side of the bonnet. I was trying to think of a way to keep it all inside hence the "S" shape. I totall agree that coming straight from the block then a 90 degree turn down into the top of the plenum would be a much easier shape to do. Also when reading my "Supercharged!" book from a couple of weeks ago it was stated that a symmetrical plenum design makes it easier for each cylinder to get the same airflow which is why I did this particular design.

I never did fully develop my engineer bug as a kid, went the computer programming route instead.

Beags

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/4/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

But you didn't did you, so it was pointless to make that statement.

Anyway, some nice modelling there, the only thing I would say (with regard to the flow rather than the CAD) is that if you have the inlet stack in the middle between cylinders 2 and 3 you will get uneven air flow with the flow to cylinders 1 and 4 being longer.

To solve this you could either have twin inlet stacks (very cool) or a 4-2-1 airbox arrangment, instead of the 4-1 system you have there........ but then again it probably wouldn't make a noticeably difference.

The other thing is have you considered the manufacturabilty of that? Do you have enough weld access? (always a problem) Have you got a way to make those bowled ends?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
beagley

posted on 8/4/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
To solve this you could either have twin inlet stacks (very cool) or a 4-2-1 airbox arrangment, instead of the 4-1 system you have there........ but then again it probably wouldn't make a noticeably difference.

The other thing is have you considered the manufacturabilty of that? Do you have enough weld access? (always a problem) Have you got a way to make those bowled ends?

Nope!

I do like the idea of twin inlet stacks which I do think would look awesome. Maybe I'll work one of those up in the next couple of weeks. Regarding the bowled ends, In actuality those will probably be flat. May use that opportunity to try and learn how to make some threaded holes so that I can bolt a cap on the ends of the manifold. Not really a good idea, but good way to learn.

Now that you've got me thinking about it again I will make a couple of "Y" shaped lines from the plenum to the cylinders.

Beags

loggyboy

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Sorry for trying to point other users who may think they need to spend money to something like that, towards a free option. i thought this was LOCOSTbuilders.co.uk, not 'spendmoneyonthingsyoudontneedtobulders.co.uk??

As for pointlessness, a bit pot and kettle?

beagley

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for pointing that out loggyboy

This post is in no way a sales pitch for Alibre or to infer that people need to spend hard earned money on something like this. There are plenty of free CAD programs available. In my instance I wanted more functionality than what Sketchup offered which is why I went the Alibre route.

Now thats out of the way, wasn't there a post recently of the different CAD programs available? I'm familiar with the bigger names (AutoCAD, Solid Works, etc...) but what else is there?

Beags

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beagley
Thanks for pointing that out loggyboy

This post is in no way a sales pitch for Alibre or to infer that people need to spend hard earned money on something like this. There are plenty of free CAD programs available. In my instance I wanted more functionality than what Sketchup offered which is why I went the Alibre route.

Now thats out of the way, wasn't there a post recently of the different CAD programs available? I'm familiar with the bigger names (AutoCAD, Solid Works, etc...) but what else is there?

Beags

If you PM me I can give you a run down of whats availiable and I might have a 'copy' kicking about if you want to try something else.

But basically:

CATIA V5= Powerful, very powerful but not so easy to use (mainly OEM and Aerospace use)
SolidWorks = Easier Interface than CATIA but less powerful and requires a better PC (small engineering companies and home use)
NX = Great for 3D modelling but less well supported (often used by larger but less engineering driven companies with TCe to save money from Siemens)
ProE = Not to bad but not as good as the 3 above.
AutCAD = Like the retarded wheezing sibling of design software.

I have used and taught them all, currently I use CATIA at work and SolidWorks/CATIA combo at home.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry for trying to point other users who may think they need to spend money to something like that, towards a free option. i thought this was LOCOSTbuilders.co.uk, not 'spendmoneyonthingsyoudontneedtobulders.co.uk??

As for pointlessness, a bit pot and kettle?

Haha, I have CATIA, SolidWorks and NX on my laptop and it cost me..... £0, as a professional CAD user I have found Google Sketch-Up to be rubbish and as it saves no money there is no point using it.

Yeah I could probably model a pot and a kettle? why do you ask?

FASTdan

posted on 10/4/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sketchup does exactly what it says on the tin.......sketches.......NOTHING else, so almost as much use as a chocolate teapot (as we appear to be on a kitchenware theme).

Model looks good, what (if any)manufacture data can you get out of alibre? Not heard much about it tbh.

[Edited on 10/4/11 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

FASTdan

posted on 10/4/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

But basically:

CATIA V5= Powerful, very powerful but not so easy to use (mainly OEM and Aerospace use)
SolidWorks = Easier Interface than CATIA but less powerful and requires a better PC (small engineering companies and home use)
NX = Great for 3D modelling but less well supported (often used by larger but less engineering driven companies with TCe to save money from Siemens)
ProE = Not to bad but not as good as the 3 above.
AutCAD = Like the retarded wheezing sibling of design software.

I have used and taught them all, currently I use CATIA at work and SolidWorks/CATIA combo at home.

Comparing autocad to the rest is a little unfair, its a 2d package (and still industry standard) that has been around since the arc. Autodesk did the smart thing and unlike many of the other big players decided to stop flogging a dead horse and develop something entirely new (inventor) rather than try and push the autocad 3d. From what I understand pro e, catia, unigraphics (now Nx) are all ancient kernels that have been pushed to the max but in reality heavy and non user friendly when compared to iv and sw. Luckily as you mention they are so heavily supported by the big industry hitters that they will continue to be hailed for years to come.

beagley

posted on 10/4/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
Sketchup does exactly what it says on the tin.......sketches.......NOTHING else, so almost as much use as a chocolate teapot (as we appear to be on a kitchenware theme).

Model looks good, what (if any)manufacture data can you get out of alibre? Not heard much about it tbh.

[Edited on 10/4/11 by FASTdan]

I need to double check but I think you can get CNC machine data from it as well as traditional blueprints of any parts that you make. Unfortunately that comes with the "pro" version(499,00 while inexpensive for a business license is too much for little old me). I only have the personal which basically let's me design parts and publish them to a PDF document. Tomorrow I will call the sales guy and ask him about the different formats that the data can be exported as.

Beags

FASTdan

posted on 11/4/11 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
$500 for a license of anything is pretty cheap.

I think inventor lite would cost me around 1k a year if I was to invest (as it is, I get a free 'home use' license from my main place of work). 'Lite' being a basic version of the normal package allowing only some functionality, but enough for what I do.

Is your manifold modelled as one single component? Does Alibre allow you to work with assemblies at that price? I'll go have a look at the Alibre site I reckon.

beagley

posted on 11/4/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
Is your manifold modelled as one single component? Does Alibre allow you to work with assemblies at that price? I'll go have a look at the Alibre site I reckon.

My manifold is made of 4 individual parts. I did the flange, runner, main body of the manifold, and the domed end caps as part files and created an assembly to establish their relationships.

Yes, Alibre totally allows use of assemblies at the personal edition. I was very surprised at the features included with their personal edition license.

They also have a forum that you can join which has helped me out in a couple pinches.

Alibre's Site

Beags

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.