Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: welding upside down advice please
RedAvon

posted on 16/4/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
welding upside down advice please

I've notched out a rear chassis cross member to accept a raised flange on my fuel tank - long story! Anyway I'm pleased with my MIG welding results on the bench but today tried welding the underside of said chassis member. Its a bit awkward and reasonably reachable but the welds aren't as good even taking into account I'm not as close to see as on the bench.
Should I alter the wire speed or gas or other setting?
Or should I just try harder and practice more?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ian

jacko

posted on 16/4/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
The wire speed will need turning up or it will burn back to the tip dont hold the gun 90% to what your welding or it will fill the nozzle with splatter hold it about 45%
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/37/viewthread.php?tid=153420

[Edited on 16/4/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
watsonpj

posted on 16/4/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about improving the welding but if wearing overalls then lacy bands round the sleeves stop the red hot bits going down. It really hurts especially when it causes you to move you arm and stab yourself in the hand with the red hot wire feed.
jacko

posted on 16/4/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
Don't know about improving the welding but if wearing overalls then lacy bands round the sleeves stop the red hot bits going down. It really hurts especially when it causes you to move you arm and stab yourself in the hand with the red hot wire feed.

HAHA are you talking from experience

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
watsonpj

posted on 16/4/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/4/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Wear those little foam internal ear defenders, nothing to do with loud noises!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Triton

posted on 16/4/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Use a welding glove and shield the shroud with your hand to catch as much of the spatter as you can...it does and will go everywhere and in the lug holes hurts like you won't believe....feels like a mad bee in yer lughole

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Confused but excited.

posted on 16/4/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj

Wait 'til you "just doing a tack, so don't need to put my gloves on" and a big gob of molten metal jumps off (oh, the joys of gasless wire) and lodges between your watch and your wrist.
I think I invented some new words that day.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

adithorp

posted on 16/4/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm...

Done the "fiz fiz fiz fiz fizzel " resulting as a series of burns down the fore-arm and a bigger one on the elbow. Even had one go as far as my arm-pit and the down the chest/belly-button variation and the buzz in the ear.

Wear gauntlets pulled over your slieves and do up your overalls to the neck. Lots of light on the job helps as the job is rarley as well lit when working uphill.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MikeR

posted on 16/4/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
This reminds me of when I got weld spatter into my boots. The first time I tried getting them off ......... after that I learnt to accept by the time i've undone the laces it will have cooled. Instead I just burn and try not to swear so loud the young kids next door hear (or hop like a fool as they already think youre the strange neighbour).

As for 'how to' I second the advice given.

steve m

posted on 16/4/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Also wear a beany hat
rusty nuts

posted on 16/4/11 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself a pair of hotsleeves and a welding hat from someone like Frosts a welding apron helps as do a pair of normal googles as well as a welding mask. I tend to find turning up the welding voltage helps when welding upside down .
RedAvon

posted on 17/4/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your help and advice guys - and the H&S especially.

Going to give it another go today.

Cheers
Ian

[Edited on 17/4/11 by RedAvon]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.