Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Transporting a locost
nick9one1

posted on 13/6/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Transporting a locost

Im looking at picking up a 'book' locost this weekend and trying to work out the most cost effective way of transporting it.

Ive had some quotes for collection/delivery at around £200.

I passed my driving test after 1997 so I dont hold the B + E towing licence. meaning I cant tow a trailer without taking a test. therefore hiring a trailer isn't possible. Unless I can get someone who passed their test before '97 to come with me.

I can hire a box/luton van. dimensions are 3.5 meters x 2 meters. Would this hold a locost?
the only problem I can forsee with this is the logistics of getting the locost into the van! Mabe some extra long planks...

Or is there anyone out there who will transport it for a good price? colelction DN365HQ Grimsby - NE388TT Newcastle

thanks!

Guinness

posted on 13/6/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a chassis or a completed car you have bought?

A chassis will easily fit in the back of a decent van (LWB transit / sprinter etc).

In fact, with a bit of effort a complete car will:-

I've got a towcar and the appropriate licence, but no trailer of my own.

I've just organised to hire a trailer this Friday, £40 for the day, to take my Indy down to North Yorkshire and bring my 106 back home.

I'd offer to collect from Grimsby, but by the time you add my fuel, bridge tolls etc to the hire of the trailer, I doubt it'd come in much less than the quotes you've been getting.

tegwin

posted on 13/6/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I might be wrong... but im fairly sure on this one... even if you have a newer license you can still tow trailers provided the combined weight of trailer/tow car and load are less than a specific figure...

Worth checking out!!!!

Yes.. im right..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067672.pdf

quote:

Catagory B(normal license) Motor vehicle with a MAM of up to 3,500kg, no more than eight passenger seats with or without a trailer – weighing no more than 750kg.

With trailer-- As category B but with a trailer weighing more than 750kg. The total weight of the vehicle and trailer together can’t weigh more than 3500kg. The weight of the trailer, when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle.

[Edited on 13/6/11 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

jossey

posted on 13/6/11 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
i got mine in a tail lift luton with no issues and it didnt look as crazy as the pic above lol

was a pain to get in and out due to length but worked ok with 8 people to lift in and 10 out.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gavinpurvis

posted on 13/6/11 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I used a company called canary through shiply very good £120 delivered on a transporter
designer

posted on 13/6/11 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
shiply.com every time
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.