Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: When do I need an MOT?
franky

posted on 9/7/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
When do I need an MOT?

Passed my IVA a week or so ago.

Do I need an IVA in 3 years or in 1 years time?

My v5 has the emissions limits on it too Hoping nothing comes up on my local garages computer so I can sell my cat-can on.

watsonpj

posted on 9/7/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I thought it was 3 years for cars built from all new parts and every year for all others. I'm not sure that this consistent policy is always applied.

As to the cat I just had my mot and it's visible smoke only but had to have a cat a the time of sva but I know that others with similar age engines have had it tested. Seemed to be luck of the draw at the time 2005 but I think they may have cleared it up now. My V5 has no limits on it.

Regards Pete

[Edited on 9/7/11 by watsonpj]

[Edited on 9/7/11 by watsonpj]

blakep82

posted on 9/7/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
thought it was 3 years for everyone (first i've heard of 1 year for everyone else as above)

when it comes to tax renewal, it might ask for an mot, but if you tax online it should go right through.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

motokustom

posted on 9/7/11 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
SVA & MOT

Hi this is a real bone of contention. It really depends on the DVLA and the persons outlook! Supposedly the car just SVA'd and built ENTIRELY from new parts and thus given either a Q or new age plate is a 3 year MOT Candidate.
A car using donor parts and again even a Q plate but say an 87 D or E plate should have a yearly MOT still after SVA AND IMPORTANTLY ONE IMMEDIATELY with the SVA even can be done before the SVA. BUT for some time DVLA has been issuing certificates with 3 year passes?
Now you should get a letter when the MOT is due and in my experience this comes just before the 3rd anniversary of your SVA.
I personally have a Se7en going the end of the month for SVA. I will be getting a D plate from the donors age. I will just drive it and produce the pass certificate or copy if I am stopped and plead ignorance Because if the DVLA do not tell you in writing how can you be to blame? As it stands just drive it or if you are worried do go get a MOT and have peace of mind... really its up to the individual.
I can assure you this info is correct as I spent an hour on the phone to dvla on this subject last week
Hope it helps, regards Dave

craig1410

posted on 9/7/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
My car was SVA'd in April 2009 and when I went to tax it one year after SVA I was asked by the post office for an MOT certificate. It also said on the tax reminder that I needed one. However, I was told by the SVA tester and the DVLA guy who inspected my car that I didn't need an MOT for 3 years so what I do each year is this:

I ignore the tax reminder and just take along my V5 document. I also take along a completed V112 form (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017716) just in case the post office are sticky about their computer saying that an MOT is required. I've done this twice now and the post office clerk just overrides the request for an MOT, as he agrees that the car is less than 3 years old and doesn't need one, and issues the tax disc. I've never been asked for the V112.

I think this is just a grey area in the computer system given that both VOSA and DVLA seemed clear it was 3 years when I first registered. I'd be happy to answer any queries from the police or DVLA if asked on that basis. And as the person who built the car and someone who checks the soundness of the vehicle before every trip, I really don't see what I would gain from an MOT each year.

I hope this helps,
Craig.

edit:
quote:

I can assure you this info is correct as I spent an hour on the phone to dvla on this subject last week

The trouble is, you get a different answer depending on who you speak to...

[Edited on 9/7/2011 by craig1410]

indykid

posted on 9/7/11 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motokustom

You obviously don't know the DVLA Ask them the procedure for vehicle inspections....

Your v5 will have a date of first registration. It's 3 years from that date.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 9/7/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
If the emissions limit is on the v5c then it will come up and be printed out on the mot check sheet at the time of test

even if its a Q plate it has to pass what it say's on the v5c / mot check sheet

[Edited on 7/9/2011 by DRC INDY 7]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

matt_claydon

posted on 9/7/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Road traffic act 1988:
quote:

47. Obligatory test certificates
(1) A person who uses on a road at any time, or causes or permits to be so used, a motor vehicle to which this section applies, and as respects which no test certificate has been issued within the appropriate period before that time, is guilty of an offence.

In this section and section 48 of this Act, the “appropriate period” means a period of twelve months or such shorter period as may be prescribed.

(2) Subject to subsections (3) and (5) below, the motor vehicles to which this section applies at any time are—

(a) those first registered [under the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 or any corresponding earlier legislation], not less than three years before that time,
and

(b) those which, having a date of manufacture not less than three years before that time, have been used on roads (whether in Great Britain or elsewhere) before being [so registered],

ditchlewis

posted on 9/7/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
i believe it should be three years.

this is what happened to me note my car was registered in december

first year no MOT required

Second year argued and proved no MOT required but Sorn at end of nov that year ( year 2)

in the spring i did not have the heart to argue with the DVLA any more and with 5 months till end of year 3 i just got it MOT'd

I think it is a case of how much time do you want to argue with the DVLA for?

Ditch

adithorp

posted on 9/7/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
If the emissions limit is on the v5c then it will come up and be printed out on the mot check sheet at the time of test

My emision limits are on my V5, but when I went for it's first MOT in May (3 years after SVA on an08 plate) nothing came up on the came up on the check sheet when logged on for test.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DRC INDY 7

posted on 9/7/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

I have done a mot on a car this year that is on a Q plate and it came up with the emissions test limits on the printed mot test sheet

My emision limits are on my V5, but when I went for it's first MOT in May (3 years after SVA on an08 plate) nothing came up on the came up on the check sheet when logged on for test.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.