Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New to kit cars!
baileysmith

posted on 2/9/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
New to kit cars!

Hello all,

I'm new to the whole kit car scene and am beginning the process of convincing the wife I NEED one! I wondered whether I could seek advice on a couple of questions:

1) I would love to build my own but have nil mechanical knowledge - is it possible or better to buy one ready to roll and learn from that?

2) I'm just shy of 6'5" tall - what will I fit into without the need for amputation??!! I am leaning towards an MK Indy.

If anyone can give me some early pointers so I know where to start?!

Thanks very much.

jabbahutt

posted on 2/9/11 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the nut house. I was in exactly the same boat as you. I'd never jacked up a car before building my kit. I'm also just shy of 6'5" and fit nicely into the Indy.

1. My advice is to visit some shows and try sitting in different models to see what suits your tastes and wallet.
2. There is more information here than you'll find in any book or magazine so have a good read.
3. If in doubt as to buy ready made or not I bought my donor and stripped and rebuilt everything, learnt a huge ammount and spend very little. It'll also show if you're inclined to build or not (bit of a test of you determination if you like)

Hope that is of help.

Jabba

baileysmith

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Jabba,

Thanks for that mate, like the idea of buying/rebuilding the donor as a starting point; sounds like a sound bit of advice that. The MK seems one of the larger cockpits so am encouraged that you found it no issue.
Time to plan for some show visits then I guess!

Cheers again.

welderman

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the MAD House so they say lol.

Well theres a few of us kit car drives in your area, chorley, standish, adlington etc.

Im going over to the MK Sportscars open day tomorrow, free food .

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

jabbahutt

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
No problem, glad to help. I stripped the donor of all parts required and rebuilt them/cleaned painted etc whilst getting the money together for the kit. At least that way I fealt I was making progress.

As Welderman says if you can get yourself over to the MK open day you'll be able to sit in some cars and chat to plenty of owners.

Best of luck but the main thing is to enjoy the expoerience rather than find it a slog.

wilkingj

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the Nuthouse!

Decide on your budget... then Double it!
(mind you, you can spread the costs over the build period)

My Viento cost me £8k to build 6 years ago. Its worth every penny for the insane GRIN I get when driving it.
Also being a V8, it wasnt that cheap, but I wanted that V8 Burble sound.
A 4 pot 2 litre car should be cheaper, and just as much fun.

Decide on what style of car you want, a Se7en, a Midi, A trike, etc etc. then look at whats available.
Get a ride in one, or better still a drive if you can find someone who will let you behind the wheel of their pride and joy.
Look through the picture archives of members on here... it will give you ideas of what you want, and more importantly what you dont want.

Visit a Show... Next one is in Exeter, a fair way to go, and not the biggest (so I am told). Stoneleigh nr Coventry is the best one to visit, I try not to miss it, just to meet up with old friends etc.

You need to sit in a car before you buy it. Some cars will just not work for you. This is important.
at 6ft 5" you must do this.

IMHO the Luego Viento is the car to have it will take the very largest of people and engines. Sadly its not in production at the moment.
I fit in a MK Indy very well, and thats not a bad car either. They have open days, and its worth getting over there for a look and a ride. Give them a ring first. (I have no connection with MK.... I am a Luego customer!).

It will be a long journey to get it on the road.
You will finds LOADS of help on this forum. It make a LOT of difference to your build, knowing that help and experience is there for the asking.

Finally... You will never finish completing your car... Kit cars tend to get modified and changed even when built and on the road!

Have fun, and take a leap into the kit car world.

Cheers

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
Im going over to the MK Sportscars open day tomorrow, free food... .

Cool! Can you fill your pockets and send some up north! Nom Nom!

baileysmith

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies, wasn't expecting so much enthusiasm!!!

Certainly got me thinking. Ideally I'm looking towards an MK Indy although I do like the Fury's too. Not sure which would be best but it's early days. I did see the MK open day, unfortunately am working (again) this weekend.

Didn't realise there were so many owners in the area, don't see too many kits around - I must be going to the wrong places!

Time to speak to the Royal Bank of Wife and start doing some research around the site.

Cheers!

D Beddows

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Is there free food Joe? lol, are all the shops shut in Heath Charnock?
steve m

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

While i am no were near 6' in fact not very close to 5'6" !

I built my car to fit me, not somone else, and as such my Locost is pretty well a book built chassis

however, Hicost, (James ) a local friend has built the same car /chassis as mine, but larger, as he is well over 6' tall
Another local m8 is Pekwah1, and again about 6 4 , and he had to cut both legs off to go for a blap in my car !

If your planning on building from scratch, its easy, if buying a kit, you will need to make sure thekit will cope with your height

Steve

welderman

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baileysmith
Thanks for all the replies, wasn't expecting so much enthusiasm!!!

Certainly got me thinking. Ideally I'm looking towards an MK Indy although I do like the Fury's too. Not sure which would be best but it's early days. I did see the MK open day, unfortunately am working (again) this weekend.

Didn't realise there were so many owners in the area, don't see too many kits around - I must be going to the wrong places!

Time to speak to the Royal Bank of Wife and start doing some research around the site.

Cheers!

Ive Built and MK and a Fisher Fury which im still driving, theres another Fury in Standish, an MK in Adlington and a Sylvia Pheonix in Chorley, we get together most Tuesdays weather permitting and some of us slowewr driver give passenger rides too .
Owners from other areas come out on these rides out too, St Helens, Blackpool, Manchester, macclesfield, Wirral.

PASA, Preston And Surrounding Area's

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

welderman

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Will send you a burger up in the post mate, u2u me your address. i mean it lol

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

welderman

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Is there free food Joe? lol, are all the shops shut in Heath Charnock?

Dave you coming, but you cant eat my share of the food.

Shops open but when its free it tastes soooo much better lol.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

scootz

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Will send you a burger up in the post mate, u2u me your address. i mean it lol

I'm a veggie... can you just send me the bap!? Be great if you could spare a bit with some butter and tommy-k on it!

It's Evolution Baby!

D Beddows

posted on 2/9/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Dave you coming, but you cant eat my share of the food. Shops open but when its free it tastes soooo much better lol.

Nah, will be driving to Cornwall on Saturday for a week in the sun......... so you can have my share

Irony

posted on 2/9/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I was new to building cars. I knew nothing about engines or gearboxes when I started but now I am cracking on with the build and feel much more confident. Don't let a lack of skills stop you. It will be a tough trip but you'll get there.

As above I suggest you sit in a few cars. The Viento is by far the largest Seven style car you will find. I bought my Viento part built and completely restripped it back to the bare chassis. I bought it as a open county cruiser as I wanted the extra leg room and I love the whole V8 thing. If you search for Leugo Sportcars on the web they still have a business so it's worth giving them a ring. I bought my Viento from ebay and they do come up from time to time.

Good Luck.

Hellfire

posted on 2/9/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse. Just one bit of advice..... if you're gonna build it yourself, you might as well do it right first time and fit a motorbike engine. Saves you messing about converting from CEC to BEC after you've built it..................

Phil

welderman

posted on 2/9/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Welcome to the madhouse. Just one bit of advice..... if you're gonna build it yourself, you might as well do it right first time and fit a motorbike engine. Saves you messing about converting from CEC to BEC after you've built it..................

Phil

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

wilkingj

posted on 2/9/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Phil

Oh God... Here we go, the old chestnut... Bec V Cec

How old are you? As this can make a huge difference on the insurance. Check all this out before deciding if you want a hive of angry Hornets under your boonnet

Also decide what sort of use you want to put it to. ie road / track, a country cruiser, evil sounding flame snorting powehouse etc etc

As you have found out this morning... There is lots to consider, and doing it "Right First Time", is definately the best strategy.
As is often said on here... Measure 10 times... Cut Once.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Proby

posted on 2/9/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Phil

baileysmith

posted on 2/9/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I can see there are many opinions and a lot of enthusiastic people - gotta be a good start!

To answer a few, I was fancy a bike engined kit, I'm a sucker for the sound and the acceleration! At 34 years old I've been driving half my life so hopefully insurance won't be too bad (any ideas on this??). In terms of use, I want road use but would be looking to do some track days as and when possible.

I am anxious about the self-build side because, other than minor servicing and a bit of brake work I have no fabricating/welding experience and have never tinckered with engines or gearboxes. It seems like a big ask to go from no knowledge to driving something I built!!
In my condition (i.e. mechanically challenged) would it be advisable to start with one that could be stripped back or is that just wimping out?! Money will be tight and I wouldn't be popular if I threw it away....

Welderman - do you head anywhere in particular, might pop past sometime for a nosy??

Cheers, Matt

mrwibble

posted on 2/9/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
if i was starting again, i'd be talking to raw and looking at the phoenix, similar in design to fury (both designed by jeremy philips), but you'll find it easier to get bits, the J15 also a JP creation is his newest and takes advantage of newer donor vehicles, instead of horrible rusty sierras.Aa JP car direct from him (j15), might be dearer than some kit cars (?), but the experience and service is prolly going to be up there with the best. Remember this is a bit of a cottage industry and sometimes service can be a bit shoddy.

[Edited on 2/9/11 by mrwibble]

D Beddows

posted on 2/9/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Depends if you want to build a car or drive a car really . To be honest there are few greater feelings than driving a car you've built yourself for the 1st time.......... but that could take 3 or 4 years......... plus building from scratch will almost certainly cost more than a built car........... but there is a LOT of overpriced dross for sale out there............. so as with most kit car related question there is no easy answer
baileysmith

posted on 3/9/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
The idea of building then driving a car really does appeal to me, I guess it just a lack of knowledge and experience that's holding me back.

I think research first then decisions!

Thanks to everyone for the advice, Matt

RK

posted on 3/9/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I would add that when someone says: "you should put a turbo Hyabusa in it, and run it through an MX5 gearbox" or some other insane idea that hasn't been tested yet, ignore them. Do the tried and true first and then modify later. As an example, the MK parts might be a bit dearer in the short haul, but in the long run, because they are meant to work in their cars, you save a lot of aggravation. I mean A LOT OF AGGRAVATION. Those are words you may come to repeat. Of course, I'm just Mr. Negative. Yes, I know because the Cirque de Soleil guy, Guy Laliberte, went into space, and Richard Branson went around the world in a balloon, anybody can, and so can you.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.