Just seen this:-

www.durafix.co.uk

Looks interesting, any LCB tried it?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 25/11/11 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
have friends that have used it, not cheap or locost at all but seems to work on low stressed parts, not tried on any structural bits,...

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/11/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I used this kind of thing many years ago, different name though. Works well but needs quite a bit of heat pumped in so you can still distort sheet metal. Great for welding up alloy intake manifolds and the metal is totally mixed, not just stuck on. The surface must be like surgically clean to work.

About 10 years ago I was casting this stuff for prototype offshore casing drill bit blades incrusted with black diamond cubes. made a aluminium drill that could drill through another aluminium drill made from the same material In the end though all that casting was a pita and just hammered the diamond in instead But did take quite a few packets of rods for Landy repairs...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 25/11/11 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Not really "welding" really a soldering method, it has it's uses but not for any part subject to any great stress.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

BenB

posted on 25/11/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
It's actually friction brazing. I used it and it's blooming strong stuff (even though when I used it was called technoweld).

When I first bought it I wanted to see how strong it was so I brazed a little bit onto some aliminium and tried applying some weights to it. It took an amazing amount of weight. Compared to abraded + epoxied ali/ali it took about six times the weight for the same contact area.

It did "peel" eventually whereas with welding you'ld expect it to be fully joined to the base material but it was much stronger than I imagined.

The main problem is that you do need quite a lot of heat. Also aliminium transfers heat well so unless you somehow brace your old brazes together they melt when you're doing new ones and the whole thing falls apart.

owelly

posted on 25/11/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds like the stuff I used many years ago. No good for structural repairs but fine for fixing ally casings and stuff. The method I used wad to 'soot' the area to be fixed with a yellow oxy/acetylene flame, then set the flame right for the 'welding'. As soon as the soot was burnt off, the metal was the right temperature for the 'welding'. As said, more of an ally brazing or soldering system.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

FASTdan

posted on 25/11/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah as said it needs a lot of heat so only really suitable for thin stuff or localised surface repairs. Useful all the same, I've just never got round to using the pack I got and having AC tig means I probably never will.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Bluemoon

posted on 25/11/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Yes used similar you can get cheap ali "welding" rods on ebay.. Works for me.. You do have to be careful as the melting point of the rod is close to the ali... I have found the joints to be stronger than parts joined..

If you can solider metal together give it a go...

bartonp

posted on 25/11/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ally 'stick' welding here:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.joining.welding/browse_thread/thread/83b04633a79196cf#

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.