<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What to build
deltron63

posted on 30/1/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
Hi Phil
whilst we dont sell a 7 kit at the moment, we do a hell of a lot of Bike engined equipment including our own car the Sabre. Reading your posts suggests that bike power might be the way forward. We alaways have a number of cars in at the unit and if you would like to pop in I would be more than happy to talk you through some of the installs and the various pros and cons associated with BEC construction, kettle is always on and it might serve as useful info.
Best regards
Andy
AB Performance
By the way we are in Suffolk not far from Bury St Edmunds
Andy

Small world, I'm in Mildenhall

deltron63

posted on 30/1/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Your gonna hate me ph1l, I've got a 7 and a MGB GT V8
RK

posted on 31/1/12 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Remember, BEC will cost more than a CEC, since it was never designed for a car in the first place, and there are a whole bunch of costs associated. I can't remember if you wanted it for the road, but if so, you will be needing reverse, for example. As for "cheaper" kit versus Caterham, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. But then again, with 7's, I've only ever driven my car, and have to take everyone's word for it.
ph1l

posted on 31/1/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Ive spoken to Andy at AB Performance and he has given me some really useful information and pricing - Im pretty much decided on a CBR1000RR engine, problem is what to put it in. While I will pay a bit more to do a bike engined car, its what I want and it will be worth more when I'm finished. I have in mind really that once I've done the 7, i want to do something else, more expensive - something like a D-Type, or GT40.

A mid engined car would be nice, but too much money for what I'm after really, i probably won't track it for more than a proper shakedown as i have other track outlets. And its not really even that much about the driving of it, i want to build it as its something I've always wanted to do and learn about, and want to find out if the reality is what i have in my mind!

I agree a caterham would be among the best and those I've driven have been great little tools, only limited really by aerodynamics. But a basic classic or roadsport is too boring and still nearly double the price, the faster ones become too expensive and i can't justify spending that much on a 7. As long as the car is balanced and that is as much about the build and setup as much as anything, then Id be happy. With a Caterham, I guess you benefit from all their experience, they tell you what bits to use because they know and have learnt what works best, they give you the right suspension and good base setup and tell you exactly where to put the engine, but i wouldn't say thats worth paying double for. With the smaller companies and varying engines used, the weight distribution alone could be hugely different from kit to kit, one being a real tool the other a complete dog, with everything else being the same.

RK

posted on 31/1/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
The point of these cars is that they become whatever you want them to be. Or they just don't get finished at all, which of course, happens too.
fesycresy

posted on 31/1/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Don't believe BEC's are more expensive than CEC's.

OK you need a reverse box / electric reverse, but what happens when your type 9 goes pop? A BGH or Quaife will set you back more.

The bike comes complete with ECU and carbs / throttle bodies, car engines need at least a megajolt and carbs, or megasquirt / aftermarket ECU and throttle bodies.

Yes some bike engines need a dry sump, but some only need a baffle plate. I'm sure Andy has given you the run down, unlikely you'll find someone more knowledgable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

ph1l

posted on 31/1/12 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Andy was very helpful, thats partly what has convinced me to go the bike engine route, he can sort a complete package at a good price and if I go that way the engine and gearbox are the one refurb item if i go for a new plate.

Id like to go for a mid engine kit, but then I'm moving away from my idea of a cheap first kit, then if i enjoy the whole process I can go for something a bit more tasty!

has anyone any thoughts on Saturn Sports Cars? their kit looks good from the site

femster87

posted on 31/1/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I know someone has mentioned this but do consider the Zero and you can have it modded whichever way you like, the lads in the workshop would provide any assistance you require. Cheap kit and very well developed. They also have a new race chassis which looks really good
franky

posted on 31/1/12 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ph1l
Yes Andy was very helpful, thats partly what has convinced me to go the bike engine route, he can sort a complete package at a good price and if I go that way the engine and gearbox are the one refurb item if i go for a new plate.

Id like to go for a mid engine kit, but then I'm moving away from my idea of a cheap first kit, then if i enjoy the whole process I can go for something a bit more tasty!

has anyone any thoughts on Saturn Sports Cars? their kit looks good from the site

did you look at the GKD? Experienced testers wouldn't compare it to high end caterhams for nothing

Steve Hignett

posted on 31/1/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a 7 and you expect it to handle then you really ought to speak to owners of Cars.

I don't know if you are going to buy in the next couple of months, but you would be best to get yourself to Stoneleigh kitcar show which is the start of May (5th and 6th I think?).

If I were you and you definitely want a 7 and don't want a Caterham, then my shortlist would be:-
1. Raw Striker
2. Westfield
3. MK Spec RR
4. Aeries Motorsport Locost (was Stuart Taylor LocoBlade)

There are people on here that have opinions about their own car's and people on here that have been round long enough to see and know about all sorts of problems with the variety of manufacturers, and I would try my very best not to cause any upset by my shortlist, but I think it is pretty accurate.
I've driven a fair few marques of kitcar's at both the ends of the market, and I've also built a couple of cars in my time too, although I've given up building, well will give up when I finish this pesky Caterham...

If you change your mind and would have a bodied car, or a mid engined car, or choose to do a rebuild rather than a build then my list would change...

ATB
Steve

I predict a Riot

posted on 31/1/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered the Sylva Riot (J16).

Mid engined - weighs only 460kg - nearly 300bhp/ton without going the bike engine root if you fit a bog standard 1.7l sigma engine.

All in about 7-8K

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.