Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: So, finally i have a garage! Advice please.
Ianf

posted on 18/5/12 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
So, finally i have a garage! Advice please.

Hello, another newbie here after some advice.

Ive recently purchased a new house and this time i made sure it had a garage
This means im now on the hunt for a toy, which has in the last few weeks had me scanning about the internet every spare minute ive had, aswell as attending the show at Stoneleigh, and now ive ended up here with the rest of you!

Im looking to buy a fully built ready to go 7 replica and have a budget of around 10k.
The trouble i have is, im really not sure what to go for which seems a common problem with newbies on this site from what i have read

I have no experience what so ever with kit cars, or even rear wheel drive, so its going to be fun im sure

Ive owned a few quick cars in my time both FWD and 4WD but nothing like this.

Having looked at various sites at whats for sale i keep going back to the Tiger Avon either zetec or duratec variant, but after reading many reveiws cannot make up my mind if this would be the right choice for me?

Please someone help me make up my mind!!

A few questions:

- im 6'4 (would this be a problem?)
- would the zetec engine be a suitable choice for a kit car virgin? (ie. powerwise, too little/too much)
- is the Tiger Avon a good quality kit in your opinion? (obviously much depends on who built it)
- is there any other cars you would recommend in budget?

Sorry if this is all a bit basic but im slowly feeling my way into the kit car scence as i said so would appreciate any help what so ever.

Thanks in advance.

Ian.

zetec

posted on 18/5/12 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome

When I was looking round I went to see the Tiger as they had a place in London at that time. I seem to remember the Avon was short in the cockpit and I suspect you might have issues getting in.

Firstly you will need to decide on the level of build you want to get into, the budget you quote will exclude you from a new Caterham/Westfield/Dax unless you pick up a part built s/h car cheap. These are normally the easier to build options as they supply every nut and bolt.

While Tiger will offer a full kit for near to your budget I would be tempted to look at the other smaller manufactuers who while not always offering a "full" kit will supply everything you need to get started, and the other parts you can source yourself.

The advantage of sourcing your own selected parts is that you can build the car just as you want it, and your views on what you want will change as the build goes on. If I was to build again I would first decide on a chassis that suited what I wanted the car for taking into account the engine I wanted. Do you want a stripped out focused track car or a road car that you might want to go for a Sunday blast/touring....they would be very different.

Your engine choice has been used plenty of times and will present no problems. My car is as easy to drive around town as any normal car but plenty fast enough when given some stick!

Lots will depend on how much time you have, pratical experience and what you want from the car...Dont discount buying a car that is on the road already, there are some bargains to had.

You need to get out to a few shows and meets and try a few cars out for size and see what you like before spending your £££. £10K is a very good budget, mine came in at about £8K just to give an idea.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

snapper

posted on 18/5/12 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
Try and join a local club, here in Essex the Essex Kit Car club has a good range of different kits and a lot of advise from builders.
You get to have a good look, talk over different issues and get a ride.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

iank

posted on 18/5/12 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
If you have no experience of RWD then be very careful to build up to going 'fast'. Too many people put their brand new pride and joy into a hedge backwards in the first couple of months of ownership. Trackdays somewhere with good run-off areas would be a good idea

For £10k you could buy a really nice car of any of the good makes, or an entry level caterham (though that would be really snug!).

Putting on my flameproof suit I'd put Tiger in the value to mid range of kit quality and I certainly wouldn't be putting my whole budget into one no matter how nicely made if I could afford some depreciation.

6"4' might not be a problem depending on whether it's in your body or legs, but at worst you'd been needing to go for a foam+binbag seat in order to get the extra cockpit length.

Best thing it to get a test drive in one. Maybe http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3880485.htm if you like Avon's but haggle hard as the weather is terrible for sellers this year.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

chrisxr2

posted on 18/5/12 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Haynes roadster

I bought a pre built haynes roadster after checking around what is best for tall people, i am 6ft 2 and have long legs and fit in my Roadster just fine.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

big_l

posted on 18/5/12 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
hi i was in you situation my self i went with the MNR VORTX im 6'3 and 17st and its got room to spare!!

i no MNR are nearly completed there mazda turbo demonstrator and are going to sell after its completed it was on show at stoneleigh
also there is lots of really nice MNR cars already built out there !!

i also agree the tiger avon is a proper basic car with no frills !!!

i would say look for one of the nicest kits MNR AND MK SPORTSCARS are the 2 best
but the MNR wins on quality of the car and service im afraid but you wouldnt be disapointed with either

i would wait till newark show and see whats there 16th june good luck with the search !!!!

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

big_l

posted on 18/5/12 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3808881.htm

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

mcerd1

posted on 18/5/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
as above 10k should give you a good range of options

your height could make some of them a bit tight, but the only way to know for sure is to try some for size...
the likes of Dax do a long wheelbase chassis to give those that need it a few extra inches and they also can have lowerd floor pans too (can be fitted to the short wheelbase cars too)

-

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 18/5/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Or buy mine

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3914872.htm

I'm 6ft 1in and have a bit of wiggle room. They are all fairly snug though, so if you like a roomy motor, be prepared!

Seriously though, Tiger's are nice kits. Dad had one, was a lovely machine. They used to be at the budget end of the scale, but seem to have crept up in price over the last 5 years.

With 10k the world should be your oyster. Take your time, details of build is more important than mileage etc. A zetec is manageable for a newbie, but will feel hellishly fasy compared to normal road cars.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 18/5/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
£10K (or less, especially if the 'seller' is being 'realistic' will get you a very nice used Westfield.

It'll fit you well, with the seat back against the bulkhead (did me, I'm 6'3", with plenty of width too for spreading any middle-age lard that takes hold.

Zetecs, Vauxhall, whatever, it's all sensible stuff and very good. Avoid the Hayabusa Turbo dreaming.

Some of the MX5-based cars (with highly crash-resistant Euro-compliant chassis) should be available too at that ballpark, as long as the 'seller' is actually wanting to sell.

A1

posted on 18/5/12 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
When I was looking at mk, I was taken for a ride by paul and hes a good bit taller than me, so you should fit in an indy.
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 18/5/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you would consider an already built car, there are 4 Quantum Xtremes on the bay at the moment, one of them a 200 bhp lightweight aero screen jobby!

I am 6'4" and there is still room... Great cars!

Hellfire

posted on 18/5/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum. The ultimate resource for kitcars on the big www. £10K is a really healthy budget for a kitcar and if it was my money, I'd be looking for a Westfield Megabusa. Whichever manufacturers kit you end up going for, make sure it has a bike engine.

Phil

Ianf

posted on 18/5/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for taking time to reply, some interesting stuff.
I am going to be at Newark show next month so will put off a final decision till then.
Untill then im going to research the MK Indy a little more aswell as the Tiger Avon.
Look out for me at Newark, I will be the annoying one asking lots of questions

T66

posted on 18/5/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Im not running out of money (qualifier), but if I did a build again I would buy a built IVA car, and make it what I wanted it to be...

The difference between what you spend on a new build, and what you see decent cars on pistonheads selling for, is quite a big one.

If you want a floor up build carry on browsing, otherwise buy a built car and put your own mark on it.

welderman

posted on 18/5/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
you have a u2u also mate at the top of your page

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Ianf

posted on 18/5/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman

Good job you said, i had a few
Cheers.

welderman

posted on 18/5/12 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ianf
quote:
Originally posted by welderman

Good job you said, i had a few
Cheers.

Lol

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

40inches

posted on 19/5/12 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Im not running out of money (qualifier), but if I did a build again I would buy a built IVA car, and make it what I wanted it to be...

The difference between what you spend on a new build, and what you see decent cars on pistonheads selling for, is quite a big one.

If you want a floor up build carry on browsing, otherwise buy a built car and put your own mark on it.

I think that's the road I would go, if I ever do it all again especially given the prices of built IVA'd cars at the moment. You can strip and rebuild a lot quicker than doing it from scratch, and then straight on the road

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.