Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Build that isn't going anywhere
SeanStone

posted on 1/10/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Build that isn't going anywhere

So with work at the moment I am still paying off uni debt etc and I barely have time to work on the so I thought I'd take the opinion of you guys

Best case scenario would be to have more time and money to be able to complete, but right now I'm lacking both!

I'm 24, so when I move out I won't have a garage any more either.

It's a locost (road registered) with IRS, tunnel chopped to incorporate s2000 'box
s2000 engine+ box
2 full height grp bucket seats
omex 710
racetech dash 2 with connectors for ecu

Other bits and pieces as usual, sch as manifold and a dry sump pan I made.

I will probably make more in parts, but as a package, would anyone be interested if I was to consider selling? My my reckoning the engine and box and ecu+dash is £3500 all day long

a road registered chassis has to fetch a bit too?

Not necessarily selling, but with the debt I'm in, my ears would be open!

daniel mason

posted on 1/10/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
sell the f20c and box. keep dash and ecu.buy type 9 and 2.0 zetec.job done!

SeanStone

posted on 1/10/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
The engine and gearbox fit. I would still need to do the same thing to the type9 and zetec as i would the f20c
daniel mason

posted on 1/10/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
yeah but youd have a couple of grand in your pocket to complete the build

bi22le

posted on 1/10/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Daniel has a point. It leaves change then for a turbo for extra smiles and interest in the build . .

Or buy a VAG 1.8T lump.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Hellfire

posted on 1/10/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of grand wouldn't buy him any more time though......

Phil

daniel mason

posted on 1/10/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
no but a half finished project that that is pretty much worthless.
much better to sell the honda bits which will make good money. fit the zetec and sell once completed.
ask me how i learnt this the hard way with the same install. even though youve got the engine and ecu the costs to get the thing running properly and a high quality manifold made up,(as they need it and are rare so none about) costs will still be rising rapidly well into next year and due to lack of funds it will take even more time to complete.

austin man

posted on 1/10/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
So with work at the moment I am still paying off uni debt etc and I barely have time to work on the so I thought I'd take the opinion of you guys

Best case scenario would be to have more time and money to be able to complete, but right now I'm lacking both!

I'm 24, so when I move out I won't have a garage any more either.

It's a locost (road registered) with IRS, tunnel chopped to incorporate s2000 'box
s2000 engine+ box
2 full height grp bucket seats
omex 710
racetech dash 2 with connectors for ecu

Other bits and pieces as usual, sch as manifold and a dry sump pan I made.

I will probably make more in parts, but as a package, would anyone be interested if I was to consider selling? My my reckoning the engine and box and ecu+dash is £3500 all day long

a road registered chassis has to fetch a bit too?

Not necessarily selling, but with the debt I'm in, my ears would be open!

Brother in law has a full zetec set up for sale ECU engine manifolds etc for the £850 mark as other have said sell yours go zetec you could probably get someone to finish it for you for not too much money (which you should have left from selling yours)

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

wilkingj

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Dont worry abt the Uni debt... You only pay out when you are earning over £15k (It used to be £15k). If you dont earn that, then they dont come knocking at the door trying to take your TV or worse still the Locost. Downside is its still acumulating interest.

At 24 you will be a while settling into a stable job and accomodation. I know I have two sons 25 and 23, both with good degrees, and both are now back home, due to circumstances beyond their control.

As the others say.... Sell the valuable engine and bits. Use the money to put in a cheap engine. Preferably a simple one, as its easier to do and less to change out later. ie. Get it back to a running and on the road vehicle. Then you can move it about / store it where you can get it etc.
Thus you get a finished and running car, rather than a pile of (valuable) bits.

Then as a longer term plan for when you have more time and money, you can swap out the engine and box as a winter project.
At least you would have a running car to sit and smile in, and to drive about.

Stick with it, you will get there.
Its just takes time.

It took me until I was 51 to realise my dream of a 2 seat V8 sports car. Dont give up, and take it a step at a time. You will get there in the end.
After 6 years on the road, I am thinking of selling and realising another dream of a Big V Twin Bike, eg a Harley Davidson. I am now 59, and dont have many years left to be able to handle a big and heavy bike
So I recon I need to do it sooner than later.

At 24 you have your life ahead of you, just do these things when you can, but dont leave it too long like I did.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeanStone

posted on 2/10/12 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
What would the cost be to put a turbo saab lump in. Is the 'box of choice a type 9?
morcus

posted on 2/10/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert but I think the Saab engines match up to the Omega's gear box, and you can get a whole omega for peanuts, the left overs could probably make the 'box free.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

adithorp

posted on 3/10/12 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ifyour looking to get it on the road I'd go with the well trodden route... and thats zetec. It'll save you time and money and it won't be a slow car when it's done. The s2000, Audi18t or saab turbo would all be great cars but will not be anything like as easy.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

02GF74

posted on 4/10/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
if you won't have a garage, then where are you going to keep it?

if you don't have the time, when are you going to work on it?

if you don't have the money, how will you finish it?

sell the lot - in 6 months, 1 year or even 5 yrs your circumstances will have changed so you can have a second shot.

PS I doubt you'll get £ 3.5 k for an engine + box + chassis - maybe not what you want to hear but times are very hard at the present.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.