Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Floor mounted pedals
Sierra

posted on 19/11/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Floor mounted pedals

Hi guys I'm in need of a bit more space in my tiger avon as at the min my legs are very bent and can become uncomfortable after a while. I've got Sierra pedals at the minute and bought some that had been bent back and reinforced only to find that when I removed mine they are already bent back and also cut down so that was a wasted purchase.
Question is are floor mounted pedals going to give me extra room as I heard you could get more by modifying the Sierra pedals which mine are already. Could someone with floor pedals please measure the distance from the bulk head to the front of the accelerator, brake and clutch pedals so that I can then do the same and see the difference.

Many thanks

snapper

posted on 19/11/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
The Sierra pedals have more movement than floor mounted
I intend to do the same mod on a Robin Hood
Floor mounted pedals will need an Escourt cable (no self adjuster quadrant) or hydraulic cutch release mechanism

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

twybrow

posted on 19/11/12 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I am 6' 6" and I found that the floor mounted pedals were my only option when I sat in an Avon. They gave me much more room for my feet.... But also consider your seat type and position - you may find it easier to look at lowering your seat as well as moving it backward really helps. Finally consider the steering wheel size/location - I am moving to a smaller diamter wheel to give more space for my legs/knees!
Sierra

posted on 19/11/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi thanks for the info, I've already changed to a flat bottom 255mm wheel but left knee will still rub. It's got odyssey seats which are pretty much against the back and on the floor
Sierra

posted on 20/11/12 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I decided to go to the garage a get the tape measure out, below are the pictures of the footwell after I removed the foam pad, sheet metal and carpet. Can people tell whether the floor mounted pedals can be mounted to the metal sheet that's there?

I put my pedals back in and here are the following measurements
Bulkhead to accelerator pedal= 17cm
Bulkhead to brake pedal=24cm
Bulkhead to clutch pedal=24cm
I worked out that for me to sit comfortably the pedals need to be 13-14cm from bulkhead.
Also below is a picture of the Sierra cut/bent pedals I'm currently using next to just bent once (not cut down)

Sierra

posted on 23/11/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Right I've played around with the pedals but it looks like it'll be best to just go for the floor mounted and be done with it. I'm looking to buy the following
http://www.obpltd.com/obp-shop/race-car-pedal-boxes/kit-car-special/cable-clutch/kit-car-budget-pedal-box-mk-mnr-haynes-locost
I've noticed that with the reservoirs there charging an extra £35 but there are loads of reservoirs on eBay for around £10 each, does anyone know if they'll fit this kit or if there are any other floor pedals at a good price.

Sierra

posted on 15/12/12 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all I've decided I'm going to go for a kit car floor pedal box from OBP but was wondering if anyone has pictures of how the clutch and accelerator cables are fitted. Is it as simple as getting the ones I've currently got a relocating them?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.