Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Will it fail or not???
FERRARIST

posted on 26/5/13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Will it fail or not???

Hello......
Browsing here often, gathering ideas about my intention to build from a scratch new front suspension for my mid-engined Alfa 156 RWD trackday car. It's already performs perfectly on track, but it's stock front suspension is real hell to adjust......actually you can't adjust camber, caster, only toe.......
Here is my question......guess there is people here did before such a "garage made" improvements, that's why i ask here.
Below is diagram of 156's stock suspension, wishbone is question is the upper one, ball-jointing the upright and the only way to get some camber-castor by modified this wishbone - in this case i'm using removable ball joint instead of OE one, and from the picture you may see the way it can give extra camber.........entire wishbone is now shorter with 6-7cm for extra castor.....
WILL this be fine or i must drive extra caution(i will anyway) - with no engine weights on the front axle i can guess that there will be no problem, but eager to hear other opinions.
Entire new front suspension with double A arms will be made for my car, but since i really need to do some driving because it's really new experience for me to drive that car.
Thanks.

[Edited on 26/5/13 by FERRARIST]

[Edited on 26/5/13 by FERRARIST]

maccmike

posted on 26/5/13 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
if the adjustable bolt is in a slide I think it wont work, if you have several holes to provide set amounts of camber/castor then it might work.
FERRARIST

posted on 27/5/13 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
Yes it's slide.....i can't drill holes, because for adjustment i need only 4-6mm movement, and it's not enough for second hole......
Ivan

posted on 27/5/13 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know the Alfa setup but won't slotting the top mounts of the strut in the traditional way not give the same adjustment with a lot less risk of failure?
FERRARIST

posted on 27/5/13 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Don't know the Alfa setup but won't slotting the top mounts of the strut in the traditional way not give the same adjustment with a lot less risk of failure?

Yes, it's already done, but as i said, Alfa 156 front susp is awful, you can slot the 4 fixing "holes", but entire top mount can not be moved - chassis hat, where the mount sits is too tight.

maccmike

posted on 27/5/13 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt trust it, not with G forces etc.
Grimsdale

posted on 28/5/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
weld up the hole and redrill?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.