Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: newbie looking for advice/info
rig-pig

posted on 14/7/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
newbie looking for advice/info

Hi guys im Craig iv been into modding cars for years (not the crash into halfords kind) im currently stripping down and re-building an impreza type-R into a track/road car, (here is a link the the photobucket account for anyone interested in a look http://s175.photobucket.com/user/gardner79/library/new%20project?sort=3&page=1 ), anyway i have a m8 thats into kit cars and i have been looking into starting a car from scratch i was thinking along the lines of a 7 style using the mx5 running gear well eunos roadster as a donor car, im a car mech to trade and now work off shore so have the time (if the boss and kids allow), now with me being 6ft 2" and of the roundish shape i was looking for some advise/info on what would be the best car/kit to buy, my son is 4 and is always in the garage working on the cars with me and i was thinking this would be a ace project to start, the working on the cars is my preferred part and once i have built the cars back up i usually keep them for around 6 months to a year then sell them on, so now im looking for something more long term and have always wanted to build a kit car so as the impreza isnt far away from being completed im thinking of clearing the garage of all things subaru/ford related and move into the kit world.

so any info you guys with the knowledge in this side of things can provide would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Craig

Craig

rig monkey, car mech to trade

mookaloid

posted on 14/7/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum.

There's loads of discussion on here about which kit to buy if you have search about.

There are kits for all sizes of driver with something like a striker being one of the 'snuggest' but depending on how big you are the Luego Viento is the other extreme.

To be honest your best bet is to go along to a kit car show and sit in some cars which will give you the best idea.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

rig-pig

posted on 14/7/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
thanks i will have a good look about the forum and keep and eye out for the shows

Craig

mookaloid

posted on 14/7/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I think Donnington is probably your next chance for a show http://www.doningtonkitcarshow.co.uk/

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

rig-pig

posted on 14/7/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
looks good i would have to look into some digs as its a 6 hr drive down all going well

Craig

SteveWallace

posted on 14/7/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'2" and went for a Luego Viento because I wanted a 7 that I could sit in rather than on, which is what it felt like with a couple that I tried. They tend not to exhibit as a manufacturer at shows any more, but they are based in Brechin, so a bit closer to you than the shows anyway.

Another advantage of a Viento is that you can have almost limitless choice of engines. I'm putting a straight 6 BMW engine in mine, which is lots of power for the money and V8's of various descriptions are also popular.

rig-pig

posted on 15/7/13 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
thanks a lot for that, Brechin is only 15 min up the road hats off to you, you say most running gear Mmm impreza AWD

Craig

Slimy38

posted on 15/7/13 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rig-pig
thanks a lot for that, Brechin is only 15 min up the road hats off to you, you say most running gear Mmm impreza AWD

4wd has been done, although not often. I certainly wouldn't consider it forbidden or beyond reach. The Subaru boxer engine would be more of a challenge, the engine bay of a seven doesn't lend itself well to the width of a flat four.

I think you're on a good track with the MX5/Eunos as a donor, there are some challenges but I've not found anything that is really worrying me yet. And you can always supercharge it at a later date.

Irony

posted on 15/7/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if Luego offer a Mazda version of the Viento. I have seen images of a BMW running gear option though. I have a Viento and compared with some Sevens it is truely huge. I have seats in mine that came out of a Subaru. Luego also offer the Velocity which is normal sized. Might be worth your time as you can see if you think a normal sized seven is okay. If it is there are lots of options but it you want something Viento sized then there is ownly the Viento. I think the Daz Rush is quite wide however.

Luego have a 400bhp version of the Viento which must be a little extreme.

Tazzzzman1

posted on 15/7/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Craig

Also check out the Roadrunner Sr2.
Specifically designed around the MX5. I built one of the 1st road versions and the kit quality/ build was a real pleasure and of very high quality. Definately one of the best looking 7's around. Also should be able to cope with the taller person as they have extended the footwell and changed pedal box mountings to give more room. As others have stated have a good look around and get a test drive in one of possible.
If you speak to Mike at Roadrunner, he always has his demonstrator available, and you may be luck enough to get a few laps around Blyton.....

Good luck with the hunt

rig-pig

posted on 15/7/13 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys certainly a lot to take in and read about, lots of homework needed before i jump in, i will prob take a drive up to Luego as its only 15/20 min up the road, i will have a good look through the forum tonight, thanks again guys

Craig

daniel mason

posted on 15/7/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
mnr do an mx5 based car and with their customer service its hard to look elsewhere!

rig-pig

posted on 18/7/13 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
thanks m8

Craig

dhutch

posted on 19/7/13 at 04:32 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I think the charm of a 7-type is that its small, light, cute looking, and rear wheel drive. That might not be the case for you, but my the time your planning a 4wd Viento its not the same car as a zetec engined Mac1.

I'm 6ft2 and have a narrowbody westfeild which works ok with a fairly reclined seat, all be it looking through the top 2inchs of the windscreen, although if your a larger build the more recent widebody versions may be more appropriate!

Daniel

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.