Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wow! 20 years! A huge thank you to ChrisW and you all!!!
James

posted on 5/5/22 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! 20 years! A huge thank you to ChrisW and you all!!!

Apologies for the long and sentimental post...

So, 20 years since during a boring office day in IT I went for a lunchtime stroll into Camberley. Wandered into Halfords and spotted: Build your own sports cars for £250 and race it.

Once of those Sliding Doors, life-changing moments!

Instantly caught by the bug I bought the book.

Soon after that I discovered TOS (The Old Site aka The Dark Side), the original Yahoo groups Locost page along with the likes of ChrisW, Bob, The Conrod Kid, David Jenkins and quite a few others. Avidly reading every post and thinking I'd have the car built "in 6 months" and then revising that to "18 months" lol

Not long after that ChrisW setup the amazing Locostbuilders (and I'll admit I was disapproving at first thinking it would 'split' the knowledge base) but how wrong did I turn out to be?!!!

Well the car took me 4 years in the end and would've been impossible without the help remotely of Locostbuilders and in person from the friends I've made on here: Fozzie and Stu, Bob, Jasper, Conrod, Hicost all of whom I'm still in contact with. Sadly it doesn't get the mileage it deserves!

Amazing experiences at Donnington (both on and off track!) and plenty of other fun events along the way including a 50mph maximum drive from West London to MK Engineering in Conrod's borrowed ambulance, Le Mans 2003 arranged by Chris W, Chris 'PTM' Gibbons (astonishingly)letting me take my mate out for a spin in his Locost, and the list goes on.

2 house, 3 kids and 20 years!!!

Thank you 'Chairman' Ron Champion, Chris W, the West London Mafia (WLM) and all the rest of the Locostbuilders fraternity!!!!

Cheers!
James

P.S. Again, maybe I'll get the car on the road this summer!

[Edited on 5/5/22 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

theconrodkid

posted on 6/5/22 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I just checked and i joined in dec 2001, that was after me and Chris G the outlaw were banned from the Aussie lot....time flies

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

big_wasa

posted on 6/5/22 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
That makes me a youngster at 2004
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/5/22 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
the site is certainly good but I do regret ever buying the book of lies...

Should have built a hovercraft instead

[Edited on 6/5/22 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/22 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Should have built a hovercraft instead

But could you build it for £250?

bi22le

posted on 6/5/22 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, 20 years.

I have spent many hours on this site. Contributing, reading about you lot and falling asleep mid post.

Thanks to all. I bought my car from a wanted post on here, probably 12 years ago.

I'm strapped right now, untill payday, but I think it's about time I contributed again.

Well done all. Even if the site activity fades out, it's been a great ride.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

TimC

posted on 7/5/22 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
July ‘04 for me. Would echo most of what’s been said.

Regrettably I’m not really in contact with any of the South Wales group that formed a collective at one stage.

Three houses, marriage, two kids, an MK Indy, a MNR Vortx, Sylvia Striker, 750MC Locost, abandoned 1-off and Autoutune Gemini later.

Yikes.

robertst

posted on 8/5/22 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
I stumbled upon the book looking for a haynes manual for my tin-top on Amazon. Didn't believe it at first, I had to get a copy and read it. Shortly after I joined LCB, Nov '05. Build began in Jan '06 and the car passed its IVA on August 2017 so it took me 11 years

To this day I still visit this site often, as these cars are never really "finished", and I post a reply here and there whenever I can help with something. But definitely I couldn't have done it without the LCB community!

Which reminds me to pay attention to the big red banner on top and donate. It's been a while.

Tom

Deckman001

posted on 8/5/22 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yep it's been a long time hasn't it !!

Don't forget, you and the other wlm group including Andy W kept me interested in building mine and you were part of the fantastic group that inspired me. So thanks to you all from me too so James, get your car back on the road, or ask for help and I'm sure we can help you out a bit to get it ready for it's next mot and taxing

Jason

Steve Hignett

posted on 9/5/22 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
16 Years to the day for me...

3 Houses, 1 arduous Marriage, 1 wonderous Divorce, 1 amazing Son - built 2 cars for myself and 6 for others..
First one (mine) took me 11 weeks....

Thanks to all that have helped me - Hope my help to others was correct or thereabouts!
I wish I was in a position to be building again now, but it's been a tough decade !!

Steve

nick205

posted on 9/5/22 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
20 years here as well!

Joined LCB 07/02/2002, like James after getting and being taken by the "Build your owns sports car for £250" book.

I built an MK Indy kit and enjoyed it immensley, both the build and the finished car.

I've hung around LCB as there are some other great projects, skills and knowledge here. It's been kept free and is a friendly place to be. Other interest forums I've looked at on the web often seem way too focussed by comparison.

ReMan

posted on 9/5/22 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
That makes me a youngster at 2004

Me too, whippersnappers !
Its been a very useful and friendly site and the =best thing is the breadth of knowledge here and the willingm=nesst to help with stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with Locosts

Its sad that its so much quieter than it was, but that's no one thing or fault of the site , just a reflection of the world economy and the newer tech we have now, though not necessarily better.

Cheers Chris and all

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

David Jenkins

posted on 9/5/22 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
February 2002 - Eek!

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 9/5/22 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I refused to join this site out of principle. I objected to the splitting of the knowledge & was certain Chris wouldn't stick to his word.

Eventually I caved in.

Still haven't finished the car & now miss the Midlands meeting I used to organise.

Now on my second house, 1st wife (although a few tries before committing), 2 kids , 1 company, 1 cancer diagnosis, 2 knackered knees.

How do you find the date you joined?

(Worked on the car at the weekend!)

McLannahan

posted on 9/5/22 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
I just checked and i joined in dec 2001, that was after me and Chris G the outlaw were banned from the Aussie lot....time flies

Does anyone speak/keep in contact with ChrisG "The Outlaw" now? I remember all the fights and disagreements back in the day and the eventual booting off...All water under the bridge I'm sure now but just reminded me.

nick205

posted on 9/5/22 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I refused to join this site out of principle. I objected to the splitting of the knowledge & was certain Chris wouldn't stick to his word.

Eventually I caved in.

Still haven't finished the car & now miss the Midlands meeting I used to organise.

Now on my second house, 1st wife (although a few tries before committing), 2 kids , 1 company, 1 cancer diagnosis, 2 knackered knees.

(Worked on the car at the weekend!)

MikeR

You registered here 25/05/02 (it's in the info under your avatar)

ReMan

posted on 10/5/22 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

<-----------------

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

James

posted on 13/5/22 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robertst

Which reminds me to pay attention to the big red banner on top and donate. It's been a while.

That's prompted me to donate too- thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 13/5/22 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Yep it's been a long time hasn't it !!

Don't forget, you and the other wlm group including Andy W kept me interested in building mine and you were part of the fantastic group that inspired me. So thanks to you all from me too so James, get your car back on the road, or ask for help and I'm sure we can help you out a bit to get it ready for it's next mot and taxing

Jason

Thank mate- that's a kind offer.

It's not my (undoubted!) lack of technical expertise that's the issue of getting the car on the road... it's the time and poor facilities for working on it.

I'm just preying the mice haven't eaten the loom!!!

paulf

posted on 15/5/22 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I really should make the effort and put mine back on the road but the last time i did 4 years ago i only did about 500 mile the whole year.
I seem to have lost contact with anyone local with a car now as everyone seems to have sold there cars and moved on.
Maybe i will get around to finishing fitting a screen and get the cambelt changed and have some fun .
Paul.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.