Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: can I do it??????????
stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/7/03 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I just use a cheapo hand held conventional viewing shield that came with the welder. With a bit of practice, you can get the timing right and not miss or blind yourself before the arc strikes!

How people use fixed goggles tho gets me....

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 9/7/03 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
After giving myself arc-eye a few weekends ago, I'm in no hurry to risk a repeat performance...

David

Peteff

posted on 9/7/03 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a nice helmet in my local BOC shop a week ago . £90-ish, plus VAT I guess.

If that's the cheapest I'll stick with my non auto ones. I use a hand held for little jobs but if I'm doing anything fiddly that needs 2 hands I use a head mounted shield with the side screws a bit loose, lift it up to see what I'm doing, hold whatever it is with the left hand then nod head so visor falls into place. Works o.k. for me.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/7/03 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
After giving myself arc-eye a few weekends ago, I'm in no hurry to risk a repeat performance...

David

My father, recently retired, was a toomaker, with welding experience.

He related a story of someone with arc eye he worked with. Was described as being like sunburn in the eyes. Screamingly bad.

I have never got eye probs, but you do get a sunburn efect if you do a fair bit and havnt covered up.

I gave myself a slight dazzle last week - put on safety glasses to do summat with a grinder, then picked up the torch, mentally not changing eye protection types, struck a weld, and instant stars for about 10 secs!

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/7/03 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have never had arc eye myself, always had the mask down!

But I have given it to a few other people though!!! The worst case was spray welding(400 amps plus) some tank carrier suspension parts in a factory with a white roof and white walls. I was in a large welding bay with welding curtains, the UV reflected of the roof and back off the wall where 15 assembly workers were working facing the wall. All 15 were off work the next day with very sore eyes and a total lack of sleep!

When working at home, my family are aware of the danger and stay clear, but I am particularly careful with my dogs who are blissfully unaware of the danger.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/7/03 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

He related a story of someone with arc eye he worked with. Was described as being like sunburn in the eyes. Screamingly bad.

This was caused by just a split-second of flash due to carelessness.

Didn't notice anything until the evening, when one eye started to feel sore. By the next day it was too sore to open, and I generally felt unwell.

The day after that, all was OK again.

Nasty!

Petef: Yes, the auto lids are expensive, but I wouldn't be without mine - to be accurate, mine was an auto insert for a conventional helmet. An alternative is a 'manual' helmet that BOC sell (ESAB branding, I think) - this has a huge window (6" x 5" ) glazed with 'gas welding' grade glass, with a separate additional dark filter that fits inside. You line up on the work by looking past the dark filter, then move your head a fraction at the last minute and start welding. Very convenient, and an incredible sense of 'where you are' due to peripheral vision.

David

Peteff

posted on 10/7/03 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I worked on an arcair machine in a fettling bay years ago and was being watched by someone who wanted to see how it worked as he had seen the bright lights and was drawn to them like a moth. He had a sight glass for welding, just a square to look through not really dark enough and I warned him what would happen. He was off work for 4 days, his eyes were like sheeps t*%ts and he peeled everywhere his skin was exposed. He never came to watch again. If someone is wearing a solid wool jacket and overtrousers, an air fed helmet, silver reflective mitts and a blacked out visor, don't stand and watch in your T shirt is the moral.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Simon

posted on 10/7/03 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Andy,

KWIKN, I'd be inclined to buy a chassis (fortunately I didn't need to learn to weld). If you're keen on making your own, try and find a pro to get some proper help to start you off or get yourself on a welding course.

Buying steel/base board/clamps etc (what you'll need for chassis jigging/construction) and welding equip will cost you between 300 and 500 quid. You s/be able to get a chassis and a few other bits and pieces for the top end price - which will save you the worry of your welding ability, time, frustration, and let you get straight on with the build.

However, as I'm sure those who have built their own will testify, it is immensely satisfying.

And you can (within reason) modify the book chassis to suit your inclination. Several of us have gone 4" wider, some have lengthened engine bay, boot, cockpit etc.

Whatever you decide, keep us informed, and if you need advice, someone on here will (probably) know the answer/be able to provide some constuctive advice.

Also, as others have mentioned - Safety First!!

ATB

Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.