Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking about locosts and severns
dhutch

posted on 20/11/07 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking about locosts and severns

Hi, I thought i would introduce myself.

Im a 20yo mechanical engineer, studying at loughborough, and currenlty on placement with jcb in uttoxeter.

Ive always loved severns since i was a little kid, and after a year of having my own car (1.6l w-reg 306) and four months semi decent pay, im again looking at maybe investing some rwd action.

I bought at read ron's book about 3 years ago, and on and off have been looking at varous options, spured on by increasing number of freinds buying series landrovers, classic minis, and a relient scimitar.

So i guess im now at the next stage, of actaully trying work out if i really do want a severn, and can afford one. And what i might get if i did and could.

I would love to 'scratch build' one, as a freind of mine has a westfeild recently.
- But certainly at the moment i really dont have the capital to afford a westfeild sort of kit. Or the free time go-kitless with a locost type build.
- So to the end i have been looking at the option of a second hand severn, such as a robinhood s7, or an mk indy i recently saw on the bay of e!
- It went for £3k, and scaryly enough, i then went to the trouble of working out i could just about scrape together £3.5k. And then hid in a corner for two days to clam down.

If nothing else im going to have to go and see some more severns, and possably try and get a ride in one or somthing.
- Preferably before empty my savings account on one, or wrap the 306 into a tree trying to drive it like one.

But yeah anyway, hi, good to be here!

Daniel

indykid

posted on 20/11/07 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
welcome to the mad house

i'm 22 and studying motorsprt engineering at huddersfield uni.....just so you know there's plenty of student types on here.

if you've got 3 and a half grand to spend, i'd say look at locosts, i know you don't get a guaranteed chassis, but you'll get a damn sight better car than a 3 and a half grand indy......

a nice car will sell for nice money. a nice indy should sell for 6ish grand plus dependent on engine. a locost doesn't have the brand to back it up, and prices reflect that, so you'll get a better car for the same money if that makes sense. try take someone who knows kitcars and welding if you are going to buy a locost though.

anyway, as long as you have fun, it's worth it. i'm sure plenty of opinions will be along come the morning. i'm only up now cos i've been finishing a lab report.......
tom

worX

posted on 20/11/07 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'll second the sentiments of Tom above, and also add that you could try ebay for some part builts... The obvious problem with a part built kit is that you may be buying someone else's crap, so once again you'd need to take someone along with you ideally!

Oh and if you are ever back home in Cheshire (around xmas etc) and you are not too far away from me, then give me a shout, I'd be happy to take you out for a spin...

All the best,
Steve

Werner Van Loock

posted on 20/11/07 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding part builds, buy one that's not too far build, as you don't know what the previous owners skills are/were. Best is to have one that has just gotten to rolling chassis or less, then, just take it all apart again and start over and do it the right way.

Believe me, it can be put together wrong.
Things i found wrong with my part built stylus:
*Front rocking arms ball bearings shot due to distorsion of the tube, and istead the previous owner made the tubes round again, he just slammed in the bearings.
*Found a split pin in the cavity of the front hub between the wheel bearings
*Rear drum backplates switched sides
*rear drum brake shoes were mixed, so a left and a right one on one side and vice versa
*All poly bushes were gripped on the bush instead of the tubes, so all arms were not moving at all. Could jack up the car and the wheel didn't drop
*All suspension bolts that didn't go through freely just got slammed thru damaging the thread and thus damaging all locknuts

It was one of those guys that if it didn't fit he made it fit with a big hammer instead of trying to make it fit on a gentle way

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 20/11/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ive always loved severns since i was a little kid

A quick tip if you're searching for cars on ebay etc:

This is the Severn:

This is a Seven:

Good luck with the hunt, and good luck with the degree...

dhutch

posted on 20/11/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
This is the Severn:
This is a Seven:

Yes, sorry! I never was very good with the smellings of things.

But yeah, it makes sense what your saying about locosts. You can potentially get a better car for less, because other people will be sold on the brand, for the knowledge of a good chassis if nothing else.
- But to end up quids in, you do then have to be able to the the good and the bad from the ugly.

I have also considered 'unfinished projects'. And as you say, would ideally be looking for something where they have basically just bought all the bits, not got very far, and then been forced to move on. Which potentially could be a cheap way of getting a kit. Although i havent actually found many?
- Alternatively, turn it on its head maybe, and get ones thats 'basically complete' that runs and drives and stuff. But needs the dash/guards/body/exhaust etc finishing off?

I saw a robinhood superspec that was basically like that on ebay, that passed on with no bids at a starting big of £4k
- But i dont know if thats a sensible price, or what people think of the rh's. A lot of people ive spoken to in passing have said some pritty harsh things about them!
- But if nothing else if the chassis, bodypannels, and the bulk of the other parts, have all come from a known builder thats going to put the price up, but maybe make it look a little neeter.

Obvously i wouldnt buy anything for that sort of money without having seen it! But at the same time i dont think it would be at all stupid to try and find someone who knows a good weld from a bad one and a little about kitcars!
- I can nominally weld, having done a 15hour coarse in gaswelding, and crudely self-taught myself mig from there.
- But although i can tell bird droppings from robot welded aluminum. I dont necessarily have a clue what im looking for on a locost chassis.

But yeah, just trying to think it though, all this if very helpfull, and im reading old threads like theres not tomorow! Jut trying to get a feel of it all.

Steve, i live in spurstow, about 15minutes from oulton, and am going home for about 10days around christmas. So thats a very kind offer indeed.

Also, just while we're, and its proberbly a little premeture yet for details. But insurence wise? 21yo with two years no claims on a 1.8l sevenish? Low mileage second car policy?

Daniel

[Edited on 20/11/07 by dhutch]

indykid

posted on 20/11/07 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
depends on your area, but i'd reckon around £500 for 1500 miles would be a thereabouts premium

i'm paying £440 with sureterm plus it includes cover to drive other people's cars 3rd party.

tom

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/11/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
This is the Severn:
This is a Seven:

Steve, i live in spurstow, about 15minutes from oulton, and am going home for about 10days around christmas. So thats a very kind offer indeed.

DON'T DO IT!!!!! You will end up with a BEC.

I was lured in by steve's kind offer, he reeled me in and got me hooked on a bec when I had just bought a perfectly good zetec 2.0 on bike carbs part built!

Now I'm up to my eyes in Honda parts with an insatiable appitite for the kind of acceleration only a BEC can deliver!

R.H's seem to be worth peanuts 2nd hand so unless you want to be the one to take that ££££ hit then I'd avoid them.

Part built is the route I took, and it is working out well, though it does lead to the odd panic when you think have bought a duffer - when there is nothing wrong with it, I guess that is the benifit of building it all yourself, you know its right.

You will find a good part finished project, just don't rush into one. Take your time a gooden will pop up.

Alternativly here is a well priced locost:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/288748.htm

piston heads is a good place to look, as is the bay of e.

Remember to factor in the cost of collecting it - van and trailer combo may be needed for a part built.

Good look and enjoy the last few days of freedom before you are consumed by a gollum like obsession with building your own sportcar....

dhutch

posted on 20/11/07 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote

Yeah well, ive always wanted to have a good look round a BEC anyway, so that will be interesting if nothing else.
- But im also keen to have a go in some pinto/car engined sevens.

Thought i would put links to a few bits i have been looking at, just for curousty and all.

This is the partbuilt superspec RH s7 that didnt sell
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270186082149

This is another s7 that did. I recon its the yellow leather that did it!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170168257034

I also saw this, which is a partfinshed locost, although it doesnt look very photogenic?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330186197213

Theres also a unfinished 2b
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330188613424

I guess the 's7' is the older RH, where as the '2b' is there mk2, stainless one?

Theres also this shexy little bec indy...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320183191870

Ill have look thro pistonheads at work tomorrow!

Daniel

worX

posted on 21/11/07 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi again Daniel,

How ironic, I'd never heard of Spurstow before tonight, and now I've read it twice! Once here for your address, but about 4 hours ago I was sat in Panama Hatty's stuffing my face with a spicy Burrito and sipping Corona's!!!

:et me kow when you are back mate, I would be happy to take you out and give you a complete run down on my car!

Cheers,
Steve (burp - ooh, spicy! )
quote:
Originally posted by dhutchSteve, i live in spurstow, about 15minutes from oulton, and am going home for about 10days around christmas. So thats a very kind offer indeed.

dhutch

posted on 21/11/07 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Indeed! Its a strange world.
- Our road is about 50yards before panama hattys on the same side.

But it would be great to see your car and what you have done.

Daniel

D Beddows

posted on 21/11/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I can't do the ebay linky thing but if you're looking for a part built there's just something about this one <item 300174005781 > that makes me think it might be a good starting point. Cosmeticaly challenged yes but bits of it look like they were put together by someone who knows what they're doing rather than the usual monkey with a spanner Cheap too AND near Cheshire!

Nothing to do with me btw

TimC

posted on 21/11/07 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I can't do the ebay linky thing but if you're looking for a part built there's just something about this one <item 300174005781 > that makes me think it might be a good starting point. Cosmeticaly challenged yes but bits of it look like they were put together by someone who knows what they're doing rather than the usual monkey with a spanner Cheap too AND near Cheshire!

Hmmm - I think you might be right. Stripped, blasted and powdercoated, you'd have a potentially nice car.

02GF74

posted on 21/11/07 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
sent u2u
worX

posted on 21/11/07 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Here is the EBAY LINK for you!

I've also sent you my phone number using the U2U on here...

Cheers,
Steve

welderman

posted on 21/11/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
I'll second the sentiments of Tom above, and also add that you could try ebay for some part builts... The obvious problem with a part built kit is that you may be buying someone else's crap, so once again you'd need to take someone along with you ideally!

Oh and if you are ever back home in Cheshire (around xmas etc) and you are not too far away from me, then give me a shout, I'd be happy to take you out for a spin...

All the best,
Steve

no dual carriage ways near by

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

worX

posted on 21/11/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oi! You, Mouth!!!

leave it..........

Steve

dhutch

posted on 21/11/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

Yeah, and im staying in uttoxeter this year minutes away!
- Im driving though stoke upto wakefield this saterday (with loads of time to spare) so i might even pop in enroute and see it.
- Not that im planning to buy it as such, but i would be insteresting to see if nothing else. Gotta see these things!!

Got your u2u as well 02GF74, certianly an instersting car, and i guess you could get something back to the extra engine alone.

Didnt get your u2u tho worX, although i have sent a return with my number.

Daniel

MK Charlie

posted on 23/11/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 20years old and bought myself a prebuilt MK Indy earlier this year. Like said before, you do pay a premium, but it had only done 250miles when i picked it up. You cant beat the thrill of driving a seven. I find the best part of driving it is seeing the jealousy on middle aged mens faces when I overtake them on the B roads and they realise how young I am. haha.
As for buying a part built, I suppose you can get the bits liket he interior how you want it. I've had to rip my car apart to do the interior how I would have it if I were to build a car myself.

Have you looked on pistonheads as there are loads of kit cars for sale on there, and at this time of year, they are a bit cheaper.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.