Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: would you buy a petrol Alfa 156????
andybod

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
i had a 146ti loved every minute of it huge grins every day when i drove it really are drivers cars the feed back and feel of the steering and brakes are better than any other car i've owned (evo and subaru included) as said though avoid selespeed at all costs history a must and if a petrol sounds like a diesel the variator for the cam timing will be worn out and never wash them as bits seem to fall off after a wash
big_wasa

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
The brother in law has one. Its sat in a green house for a year after it put a rod through the block.

I love it but cant get it or another engine cheap enough to make it viable

its a 200 2l Ts with full leather and those tele wheels hmmmmmmm

Was thinking of puting a zetec in it

ravingfool

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
do it, just have a good look round it before you buy, and go through the service history carefully to check it's not been falling apart as it would seem the odd one does. If it's been fine up till now though, chances are it's a good'un and it'll last you a fair while too.

My dad's got one and it's fantastic, doesn't drink any oil, goes like stink and just a nice car to be in. As long as it's serviced at the correct intervals they're perfectly reliable.

Schrodinger

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had a 2002 1.8 Veloce for 4 years and did 70k in it it had the drop links replaced twice and the cam variator replaced. I loved the car and would have another. This was a company car though and the dealer I had to use for the service to start with were cr@p.

Keith
Aviemore

2b_pablo

posted on 5/12/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
this was my GTA I sold a couple of months ago. No big problems but lots of little ones.

Even with the niggles, the fuel consumption (high teens average) and the threat of something bad and expensive happening it was one of the most enjoyable cars Ive ever owned. Nimble steering and suspension (eibach kit) and a superb engine note/power delivery made it a real grin inducing car.

sebastiaan

posted on 5/12/07 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
As said, the 4 bangers are a bit fragile. I've owned mine for half a year and have not had problems (yet?). Cambelts need to be changed every 38Kmiles and you need special tools to set the timing correctly. This sounds worse then it is, the tools are available new for around 25 quid.

the V6 is pretty much bulletproof (again, if you change the belt on time.) and will withstand occasonal trips to 8K rpm without fuss. So if you can afford it (I couldn't because do 35K miles a year) get a V6 and the Madeno rear box.

nice sound!

It'll never be a toyota, but then again, have you ever seen a good looking toyota? ;-)

Johnmor

posted on 5/12/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Love them or hate them!!!

The Alfa 156 is a built to a higher standard than previous Alfas and the electrics are of a reasonable standard.

Would I buy 16v? Only if the person I bought it from new about Alfas and cared for engines,
The engine is a good unit but does not sufffer neglect, but this I mean even minimal time with low or wrong oil .
The clearence between valve and piston is tiny and poor Cambelt replacement or wear of big and small ends can cause contact , the rest is History.

Buy an Alfa as a present to your self not as a everyday runaround, look after it and buy it when the depreciation has already kicked in.

I saw a recent 156 2.5 24v Full leather 6 speed box , service history , 50,000 miles
for £1600 . Thats a bargain in anybodys books is a serious performance car.

So, dont right them off from 2nd hand expierence, buy it and try it, and as for

"I wouldn't buy any italian car"

Its a bit like saying " I wouldnt buy Scotch whisky"

Cars like Lancia, Alfa, Maserati, and even Fiat are designed buy enthusiasts and built for enthusiasts.

If you want reliability, a nice sound when the door closes and to bore people at partys , dont buy an Italian car!!!

jimgiblett

posted on 7/12/07 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
The original GTA

linky

Want to build a replica?

Make me an offer for mine

here

- Jim

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.