Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pipe - very worrying!
David Jenkins

posted on 15/12/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pipe - very worrying!

When I built my car I put rubber fuel pipe from the tank to the engine's mechanical pump. I decided that I would have an electric fuel pump as part of my bike carb upgrade, so today I cut the pipe and drained the tank.

I already knew that the pipe was a bit ropey, so I'd planned to replace most of it with copper pipe - but I hadn't realised just how bad it was. The cracks are almost entirely through the wall of the pipe - and it's only held petrol for about 4 years. I reckon it would have leaked in 6 more months, tops. It was properly labelled BS stuff too.

So kiddies, the moral is - if you've got rubber fuel pipe, check it out regularly.

Now, can anyone recommend a good low-pressure fuel pipe to put in the places where I still need flexible bits?

[Edited on 15/12/07 by David Jenkins]

SeaBass

posted on 15/12/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Was it manufactured by Codan? Thats what I have in the Locost. I'll check it before the next drive (next year).

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/12/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
buy the pipe from a main dealer like ford etc. or proper branded stuff like Dunlop which I use. Rubber can come in very cheap versions that rot in no time, the same goes with cheap tyres which can rot in less than a year (voice of experience )

[Edited on 15/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 15/12/07 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Flexible plastic fuel line, use a metal insert in the ends to stop it collapsing when clamped.
bob

posted on 16/12/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I remember being here before.

fuel pipe thread

Sorry pics are no longer available, it was a bit scary but was only the outer rubber, the inner line is far stronger.

I have changed my fuel line completely now with the outing of the pinto and zetec instal, but as usual i do check this area of the build regular.

Its a bit like pre flight checks in my garage especially if the car has been standing for a month which can happen, i have more hard lines now and branded rubber from tank to pump.

I still check the copper pipe evey month as i have heard of this failing too, i was recomended the copper/nickel pipe on straight runs as syd mentioned in the thread link.

[Edited on 16/12/07 by bob]

RazMan

posted on 16/12/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I bought some faulty Codan stuff which went like chewing gum after coming in contact with unleaded fuel
Apparently it was originally designed only for leaded fuel so don't use old stock guys.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 16/12/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yes have to agree with raz as my first batch was deffinatly CODAN and fell apart after only 18 months, might have even noticed it before if i'd checked.

I think its worth being carfull at the kit shows, you never know the age of some stock.

Does anyone know if the BS codes have changed over the years ?

David Jenkins

posted on 16/12/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
So - who's using ordinary copper microbore pipe for their fuel runs, and who's using fancy stuff (steel or kunifer)?

More to the point - where can you buy 8mm kunifer?

posted on 16/12/07 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
So - who's using ordinary copper microbore pipe for their fuel runs, and who's using fancy stuff (steel or kunifer)?

More to the point - where can you buy 8mm kunifer?

I used 1/4" to do my clutch and fuel lines.

Paul G

[Edited on 16/12/07 by 907]

rusty nuts

posted on 16/12/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Your local motor factors should be able to get the 8mm Kunifer for you. I may ? have some copper pipe left over if you get stuck but will have to check in garage.
David Jenkins

posted on 16/12/07 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Paul - thanks for the offer, but every other part of my system is 8mm/5-16ths so 1/4 would just make life difficult.

Mel - I'll have to ask my local Partco - they're pretty good.

[Edited on 16/12/07 by David Jenkins]

Fozzie

posted on 16/12/07 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Kunifer here...

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Syd Bridge

posted on 16/12/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I bought 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 tube at Partco last week. The copper/nickel stuff. Restocking my supplies.

Cheers,
Syd.

02GF74

posted on 16/12/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
VWP sell braided hose - been on my land rover now for about 6 years and no smell of petrol - can't tell how the hose itself is faing since it is covered with stainless braid.

they also sell 5/16 brake tube = 8 mm - but remember being brake tube the wall will be thicker so i.d. smaller.

I'd use some 8 mm domestic heating microbore tube grom b&Q since I don;t subscribe to this kunnifer is best theology.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.