Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Airproducts Vs BOC
oliwb

posted on 4/1/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Airproducts Vs BOC

Hoping someone can give me some advice about BOC in particular. At the moment I've got an integra bottle of pure argon from air products. I use it for both TIG and MIG welding but the price seems to be going up and up! My rental for the year is now £96 + VAT and they seem to charge me anything from £110 - 130 for each fill. Thats without delivery and I had 3 fills in '07. What I'd really like is to have two bottles one for the mig and one for the tig but obviously I can't afford that at the moment. I'm just wondering how much cheaper BOC are than air products? I went with air products because BOC's customer service up here was crap when I first called them and they're miles away! But maybe its time for a change. My rental is due in May and 'm not paying £100 a year to have an empty bottle sat here! Anybody got some advice or tips about how to get a better deal? Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bonzoronnie

posted on 4/1/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
BOC rental charges

AS it happens. I have paid my Boc rental charge today.

I have a size W bottle ( Full size ). The annual rental charge is £92.47 inclusive of VAT

I know the telephone customer service that BOC provide could be better.
I have always had first class service at my local BOC trade centre.

I looked at AP as an alternative, alas too expensive all round.

Ronnie

omega 24 v6

posted on 4/1/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Size X refill from BOC is £35 plus £12 handling (if you pick it up yourself) plus £46 per year rental.
All plus VAT of course. And all for pureshield argon.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

John Bonnett

posted on 4/1/08 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I too use BOC and collect from our local agents.

I have just paid the annual rental on pure argon, W size cylinder at £92.47 so identical to Ronnie which I am pleased to see.

I paid 56.76 August for a refill. So, quite a lot to pay in one go but spread over the year reasonably reasonable.

John

big_wasa

posted on 4/1/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Again im with Boc as I used to work near the agent.

Again top service as its the place I get all my steel from and powder coating ect.

Ive just bought a Tig so im going to have to bite the bullet and get pure Argon.

Can I use this in my Mig as I dont want to have two rentals on the go at the same time

Price as above and it looks to be inline with what Ap charge.

oliwb

posted on 5/1/08 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Garry. What size is an X??? I'm contemplating a half size bottle of shield (Cougar I think) for the Mig and a full or 3/4 if such a think exists for the TIG. I had the equivalent of 3 full fills last time round but don't envisage using as much this year. Maybe two half bottles would be enough even.....Oli.

[Edited on 5/1/08 by oliwb]

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 5/1/08 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Air products are cheaper and usually in weird places like coal merchants so open at weekends where boc don't seem to be.
omega 24 v6

posted on 5/1/08 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Air products are cheaper

Not up here there not. They used to be half the price of BOC now it's pretty much and such depending on stockist. My local AP stockist wants £35 handling each time for a fill. WTF thats what BOC want for a delivery to your door.

Triton

posted on 5/1/08 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
quote:

Air products are cheaper

Not up here there not. They used to be half the price of BOC now it's pretty much and such depending on stockist. My local AP stockist wants £35 handling each time for a fill. WTF thats what BOC want for a delivery to your door.

Blooming heck...

gazza285

posted on 6/1/08 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Place I used to work at were AP stockholders as well. Never liked AP stuff, it was cheaper originally, but the oxy was filled to 200bar, where as BOC was 230bar, which is a hell of a lot more gas for a start, and then the prices went up. To save on refills, try somewhere like a scrapyard or a fab shop that uses lots of gas, they get theirs delivered for nothing and will usually swap an empty for a full for costs plus a bit. I've had a set of oxy/acetyline for years and never payed for delivery yet.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

Simon

posted on 6/1/08 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
........ wants £35 handling each time for a fill.

I'll have to try that with our clients next time.

"Yeah, that's 500 quid for blah blah, plus 50 quid handling fee!"

Does it not occur to these people that if they didn't handle it, they's not have any stock!

ATB

Simon

omega 24 v6

posted on 6/1/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
The annoying thing for me is the BIL has a business account with them for his cougar for the Mig. Only other option for me was a trip of 80 miles and 2 hrs wasted for another AP supplier with better rates Or a round trip of 30 miles at BOC prices so a no brainer as they say.

procomp

posted on 7/1/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there was discussion of BOC highly overpriced charges before. HERE

It mentions ENERGAS Who charge less than half what BOC dose and no handling fee and cylinders that are fully filled unlike BOC .

A quick guide to there locations from the above site are.

Hull
Grimsby
Scunthorpe
Sheffield
Derby
Burton-on-Trent
Kirkby-in-Ashfield
Smethwick
Bradford
Middlesbrough
Gateshead

HTH cheers Matt

Peteff

posted on 7/1/08 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Another plug for Energas, I get mine from Derby. The cylinders are filled to 300 bar and no charge for picking up yourself.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.