Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rust removal
eirekev

posted on 23/6/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Rust removal

Have a large cab from an excavator and i need to get the rust removed from it, I can sand blast it but it leaves the surface pitted does any1 know anywhere close to london that does the chemical dip in a tank rust removal joby??
eznfrank

posted on 23/6/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
If it's for an excavator does the pitting really matter?? Unless it's for a show or something?? I'm not familiar with the world of concours excavators??
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/6/08 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
buy some heavy plastic sheet, pull it round the cab like a big bin bag, fill it up with water and then do the old electrolyse malarkey, or since it is for an excavator use that to dig a flippin big hole and line that with plastic, fill it up, then chuck the cab in.

[Edited on 23/6/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 23/6/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Although it won't have the rough sharp finish left by sand blasting will still be rust pitted after chemical removal.

Bead or other "soft" blasting media should leave a better surface than grit blasting. Follow that with zinc rich primer followed by a "high build" spray filler/primer.

02GF74

posted on 24/6/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^ most rusty steel I have played with is pitted because the rust accumulates in small areas/spots.

you would have to grind dwon the whoile surface to get it smooth or use a filler primer to fill in the holes.

I doubt there is any chemical, mechanicl or nuclear method that will leave a smooth surface and not cost the earth.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.