Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: garage drainage problem
jabbahutt

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
garage drainage problem

Afternoon all

With all this Summer rain we're getting which is a lot of water in a small space of time my garage keeps flooding!!

The space in front of the garage is on a very slight incline towards the door and in front I have one of those half round channels with the metal grate on top.

Problem is that the water isn't draining out of the gutter thing into the soak away quick enough and the water is literally pouring into the garage.

Few times now lapse of concentration hgas meant things hace been left on the floor only to be ruined by the water and anything not paintedc is rusting to pieces due to the large amount of water.

Any easy to implement ideas to increase the drainage speed or short this problem out.

GRRR new build houses, no wonder Barrett homes are in so much trouble.

Any help much appreciated as this is really starting to make me mad.

[Edited on 29/7/08 by jabbahutt]

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
you should be building a boat instead

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
contaminated

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Add a small bund (concrete, reubber, whatever) on the garage side of the drain. Works on mine. Only needs to be an inch high - just make sure the door still shuts.
Peteff

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Drill some holes in the bottom of the channel to let the water drain under it if it's not running out quick enough. Lift the channel out, dig down a foot and fill it with pea gravel underneath it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Maradona

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a raincoat !! or move to argentina, we dont have rain since jun.

[Edited on 29/7/08 by Maradona]

Diego,
The locost builder from Argentina

owelly

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
The problem of getting rid of the water involves controlling where it goes! You could dig a deeper soakaway but the water has to go somewhere and if it goes there too quick, it could take your soakaway/gravel/earth/house with it.
I would firstly, make a sill under the door. Then consider digging a sump big enough to fit a submersable pump in and pump the water into next doors garage!
Lastly, if the water wants to get into your garage, let it. But make sure it scurries out of the other end!! Grind out a channel and then plop a hole out of the back of the garage.
It's hard to advise without seing the problem but HTH!

[Edited on 29/7/08 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 29/7/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Drill some holes in the bottom of the channel to let the water drain under it if it's not running out quick enough. Lift the channel out, dig down a foot and fill it with pea gravel underneath it.

I think this ho wland drains are fitted. They sometimes use pipe that have loads of holes in it, wrapped in membrane and then the trench backfilled with fine gravel.

Your other option is to dig a trench to fit a gulley but route the end into a surface water drain if there are any close by, failing that into a foul drain. Most modern manholes have extra inlets that may just need cutting out to fit new pipe. All readily available from builders merchants.

Your options may depend on location of nearest drains, fall and if the driveways or paths are blockpaved or tarmac'd.

Post some pics if you want other ideas.

clairetoo

posted on 29/7/08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have a similar problem - I think my `builder` friend who put the base down miss-read my instructions and thought I wanted a pond
In heavy rain I can get as much as 3 inch's of water in there - the base is actually lower than the surrounding slabs !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 29/7/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Clear out garage and raise the height of the floor a couple of inches with a skim of concrete .job done
BenB

posted on 29/7/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
How about (seriously!!) making a concrete speed bump type thing just inside the garage. That would keep the water out......

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.