Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice pls quickly
l0rd

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Advice pls quickly

Found a donor car. It is an insurance write off. No v5 present.
Should i get it or not? What sort of implications will i have?

According to the new rules for SVA - IVA do i need ABS? Airbags? Wondering in order to check if this car will be ok.

L0rd

iank

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Worst case is you will get a Q reg, but I don't think that will happen. Possible issue with proving engine age if you can't get the information from the V5 and are using the engine.

I'd get it if the price is right i.e. almost nothing

IVA - No ABS, No Airbags

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure of the ownership dispite the lack of V5?? If so then go for it - you can get a V5 by writing to the DVLA generally - think it costs £19 or summat
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I doubt there will ever be a requirement for airbags on kit cars since they can be lethal if not positioned right. As for the donor just make sure you have a valid receipt for the car and maybe I’d write one up where you can put down the engine and chassis numbers, then get that signed by the current owner. That way you can prove where they came from to the inspector, just a thought.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
If it's an insurance write off then there will be no V5. You will need to apply for a VIC vehicle identity check when the repairs are completed, or, if you use it as a donor, then you will need to know the original identity etc.

Really, all you need to do is make sure the person selling it to you actually owns it, and get plenty of detail in writing

John

l0rd

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for the quick reply. I will try to check if there is any documentation for the car before i commit to it. My only concern is if i can see it running before i buy. There is damage to the front of the car. Engine should start i believe if the radiator is ok just to check for blue smoke etc.
Paradoxia0

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I know the V5 goes to the insurance company etc. on the write off but any chance of getting a photocopy before the person sends it off or copies of MOTs? They may be enough proof?

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

l0rd

posted on 5/9/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I believe the person is a dismantler so all these have been sent to insurance, dvla, etc?
richardlee237

posted on 5/9/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
The draft IVA regs specifically state that air bags are NOT allowed unless the vehicle is mass produced.

Richard

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

DarrenW

posted on 5/9/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I sure when i registered my car that DVLA said they use the V5 as the receipt for the car. Of course they also use it if you want an age related plate.

Several people seem to have got current reg's recently by using a kit and getting a certificate of newness. i dont recall people having to prove with receipts that all of the parts are new and one has been refurb'd.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.