Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting garage floor
James

posted on 12/9/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Painting garage floor

Gotta move to new garage sadly.

I've got until the end of the month, but I want to prep the new place before the car gets there.

I've bought a large can of Leyland garage floor paint from Screwfix. I was wondering if I should be doing any other prep work. It's a concrete floor and I was wondering about doing a (dilute?) PVA mix first. As one does before plastering etc.

Only lighting, power, work bench, tool racks and 500,000 spider webs to do other than that!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mix

posted on 12/9/08 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James

We pay thousands of pounds for hangar floor treatments and have yet to discover one which will bond to a previously oil contaminated floor. All you can do is make sure it is as dust free as possible, (powerfull hoover), dry, and de-grease to the best of your ability. Don't be too surprised if the paint lifts in the future. On the positive side, it's much easier to keep clean and if a light colour will 'lighten' the garage visuallly.

Regards Mick

bilbo

posted on 12/9/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've used this stuff before to seal the concrete before you paint it:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Floor-Sealers/Concrete-Floor-Sealer/invt/600306

Seemed to be ok for a couple of years, but I then moved house, so don't know how long it really lasted.

[Edited on 12/9/08 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

stevebubs

posted on 12/9/08 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bilbo
I've used this stuff before to seal the concrete before you paint it:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Floor-Sealers/Concrete-Floor-Sealer/invt/600306

Seemed to be ok for a couple of years, but I then moved house, so don't know how long it really lasted.

[Edited on 12/9/08 by bilbo]

Did my dad's with something similar 15 years ago.

Seal..then paint...

Still painted...now with extra layers of other miscellaneous fluids glued on top..

James

posted on 12/9/08 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
It's never really had a car in it, so don't think it's too greasy... but will be prepared with the Gunk!

Wickes 1/2mile from the new garage so will get some.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

BenB

posted on 12/9/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I painted mine with screwfix floor paint. Did the job nicely. Needs a top-up now (5 years later).
Cement sealant is basically just hydrochloric acid (or is it sulphuric) that etches the floor to give the paint something to key into. It bubbles when you apply it and obviously you have to be very careful re eyes / skin etc. I bought some when I bought my screwfix paint but never got round to using the sealant (in fact if you want it and you're happy to collect- not sure RoyalMail would handle such noxious stuff... )...

the only thing I would say re the floor paint is that it takes a good 24-36hrs to dry.... I just put the car up on axle stands, painted everything else, then moved the car slightly and painted where the old stands had been... Easy...

Chippy

posted on 12/9/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James, get yourself some bits of carpet, so that when you come in from a blat, you can at least park the tyres on it. I didn't and this happened, (on all four wheels), Cheers Ray
Stuck on you :-)
Stuck on you :-)

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Krismc

posted on 13/9/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
£40 for a tin of comercially used rubber floor coating from costco. can do up to 250Square meters or in you garage it will cover up to 3mm thick, lasts many many years- similar to in a hospital toilet and corridors etc in busy buildings.

its a 3 part chemical mix and says can bond too loose surfaces!

[Edited on 13/9/08 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.