Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: Capital letters
David Jenkins

posted on 20/9/08 at 06:48 AM
If this was a forum about the use of the English language then I'd be bothered - as it is about Locosts then I'm not fussed, as long as I can understand the intended meaning.

I try to write properly, but I am tolerant of other people's best efforts. After all, we do have a few self-confessed dyslexics on here...

The only thing that gets right up my nose is txt-speak... FIND THE VOWEL KEYS!

mr henderson

posted on 20/9/08 at 07:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi.

AND THIS IS IN THE LOCOST RELATED SECTION BECAUSE.

The Anything Else section doesn't allow for polls. Next question?

Interesting to compare the poll results with the actual posts on this thread.

Also the attitudes expressed in some of the answers are rather interesting. The original post doesn't contain any value judgements, but some of the responses suggest that people are reading things into it that just aren't there.

John

Macbeast

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:19 AM
I use punctuation, and try to get grammar and spelling right, because that's the way I normally write. It would take extra effort not to.

End of story.

(no value judgements were implied in the composition of this post )

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:48 AM
quote:

The Anything Else section doesn't allow for polls. Next question?

Aye but it doesn't belong in anything else either. As that is for "anything else on a car theme". So you may as well just stick it in the chassis section for what it's worth!
I don't really think it needs a poll either. If you don't like the misuse of grammar that's been going on lately then by all means bugger off and use another forum. I hear Barry Builders is quite good! I think LCB is just fine and serves its purpose well.

omega 24 v6

posted on 20/9/08 at 09:54 AM
quote:

And Jackie Stewart is literate

Yes but he's dyslexic and campaigns for help for others.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

mr henderson

posted on 20/9/08 at 10:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
If you don't like the misuse of grammar that's been going on lately then by all means bugger off and use another forum.

I didn't say I didn't like the misuse of grammar.

I think I will stick around though, all the same, thanks. If you don't like my poll then feel free to ''bugger off' and post on a different thread

John

Triton

posted on 20/9/08 at 12:51 PM
I talk rubbish so makes no difference if I write it, well not to me it doesn't.
English gramma was never my "subject" but the teacher...wow she was something though...nobody listened ,just stared at her....
A Miss Jefferies was her name and came in one day saying she had got married...crikey noooo we thought then she anounced her new surname was also Jefferies.
Argh we thought that's ok she has married herself....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oldtimer

posted on 20/9/08 at 02:12 PM
Oh Mr Henderson what have you done! Sadly the innocous qustion that started this has seen the opening of Padora's Box. Why on earth some people who respond to others on this site do so in such an unpleasant way is beyond me. It really should be OK to have different thoughts and opinions without having to get offensive. The poll seems to show that the vast majority are for good grammar and a small, vociferous and sometimes rude minority are against.
Macbeast

posted on 20/9/08 at 03:18 PM
I'm sure this doesn't apply to anyone on here -

There seems to have been a huge increase in the number of dyslexia sufferers. Or is "dyslexia" just trotted out as an excuse by people who can't be bothered to learn to spell or have been badly taught under a system where educators think spelling isn't important and gets in the way of expression?

Dyslexia my asre

omega 24 v6

posted on 20/9/08 at 04:11 PM
quote:

Dyslexia my asre

LOL was just about to lambast you when, one did a cut and paste, and saw the irony Nice one.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

rusty nuts

posted on 20/9/08 at 05:30 PM
I tend to try to use correct punctuation, grammar etc but having left school so many years ago I sometimes let things slip . It doesn't bother me too much if others use bad grammar , punctuation or spelling . More than one member is dyslexic which again isn't a problem but I tend to ignore posts that are written as a text message . It doesn't cost any more to word replies or questions in normal language on this forum.
JoelP

posted on 20/9/08 at 09:17 PM
text speak is one thing, complaining about capitals and apostrophies is a step beyond.

I hear John saying he wasnt complaining, merely observing, but whichever it really was, it seems a pointless thing to bring up.

02GF74

posted on 20/9/08 at 09:36 PM
The lack of CAPITAL (or UPPER CASE) letters is symptomatic of the times we are living in, namely the credit crunch.

Think about it. How much bigger is a capital i, m or o than its small letter equivalent? Not only do they use up more pixels on the screen, it takes more electricity to transmit the bigger letters over the internet and none of us can say we are not feeling the pinch due to increasing energy costs.

Naturally as belts get tightened, so we will see fewer big letters being used. Unless more nuclear power stations are constructed, big letters may become extinct. The Chinese had the right idea all along as they use squiggles instead of letters.

Luckily I have made some shrewd investments so I can afford to use BIG LETTERS IF I WANT TO!

MikeRJ

posted on 21/9/08 at 10:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
The lack of CAPITAL (or UPPER CASE) letters is symptomatic of the times we are living in, namely the credit crunch.

Hehe, just think of the number of black pixles that could be saved!

Unfortunately the current UK edyookayshun system has a lot to answer for. Except they could barely manage to put their name on top of the answer paper.

If you can write correctly, then not doing so is simply laziness. If you have some genuine underlying problem such as Dyslexia then fair enough.

martyn_16v

posted on 22/9/08 at 01:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
If you can write correctly, then not doing so is simply laziness. If you have some genuine underlying problem such as Dyslexia then fair enough.

Ding ding

The standard of written English in this country is slipping quite alarmingly, and apathy towards it is only going to increase the rate at which this happens. If you start to ignore something it'll eventually become the norm. There's nothing wrong with the odd mistake, but to not bother at all is ridiculous. Language is constantly evolving, but laziness shouldn't be a driving factor in any process

And wouldn't using larger black characters on a light background mean less light pixels need switching on, saving energy?

RK

posted on 23/9/08 at 12:41 AM
Indeed! And what kind of world is it when a bunch of oldsters no longer run the world!! Every succeeding generation is seen as a threat to the world order. I have a way to combat this idea, but nobody would want to wade through it all, so I will save everyone the pain.
mr henderson

posted on 23/9/08 at 08:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
If spelling mistakes and poor grammar are of that much concern to some on here, you must lead very dull lives, or could it just be another way of advertising there services without actually putting up pictures or details of there work.

How odd, to comment on spelling mistakes and grammar in a poll about capital letters?

Oh, and btw, 'their' in the above context, not 'there'

John

mr henderson

posted on 23/9/08 at 05:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason

still you managed another plug for your business there

Chris

And so did you

Although I am not trying to 'plug my business'. I happen to enjoy posting on this forum. The 'business' as you put it is hardly a business in the generally recognised sense, more a rather ill-paying hobby. I'm semi-retired and don't actually need the money, although reducing my outgoings is always welcome.

I certainly don't need to 'plug my business' as I have two customer jobs on at the moment (neither of which are particularly photogenic, one is the build up of a NG, the other repairs etc on an old Sylva chassis).

I'm sorry if this thread is upsetting you, perhaps it would be better if you ignored it? By posting on it you keep bringing it top.

What I don't understand is why you assume that the only reason I post on this forum is to advertise my business. Why would you assume that? I haven't made a similar suggestion about your motives, nor do I intend to, so perhaps you would do me a similar courtesy

John

02GF74

posted on 24/9/08 at 10:15 AM
Stop it!! This has gone on far enough.

There is no need for anyone to start insulting other posters or acusing them of promoting thier business.

The bottom line is we were taught how to spell and rite English proper right and although this is no English test, there is no excuse for not following those rules.

Mr H was correct to bring the subject up.

So why the negative reaction?

If you saw a car built where the nuts were not done up or wiring not supported, then I am sure you would have issue with it.
So why is it any different to poorly assembled posts on this forum?

I type stuff, usually correctly but don't go the full 100% to ensure all the i's are crossed adn the t's dotted so long as it makes snese. Maybe I am lazy but I simple don't want to spend time correcting myself.

[Edited on 24/9/08 by 02GF74]

Fozzie

posted on 24/9/08 at 11:43 AM
Closing this thread.

Fozzie (Admin)

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

<<  1    2  >>

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.