Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hypothetical dilemma ?
Jon Ison

posted on 22/11/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hypothetical dilemma ?

OK, you have spent years on your build, the car is part of you.......

You win a fair lump on lottery........

What happens to the car, I made the mistake of selling mine a few years back but later got the chance to buy it back.

What you going to do ? Think the question relates to locost builds more than kit builds nothing wrong with kit builds I have completed two btw but I think there is and will always be more of me in the isonblade than there could ever be in a kit build...........

So, sell and replace with big boys toys or buy the toys but keep the locost ?

Me, the locost stays put.

UncleFista

posted on 22/11/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sell, after 3 and a half years of blood sweat and tears ? I'd sooner sell one of the kids

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

StevieB

posted on 22/11/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'd kep my Indy for as long as it takes Caterham to deliver my R500...
dave1888

posted on 22/11/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Its hard to sell, i tried selling my Tiger although i never got any offers i decided to keep it. One good thing about kit cars is theres always ways to improve. (Thanks Zil)
RichieW

posted on 22/11/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you win a fair or even small lump on the lottery I would look to buy a bigger garage then it all becomes a moot point.
Fleet of half a dozen cars including your self build. Problem solved.

Seriously though, I would try to keep what I had built. It will always mean more and be worth more to you than anyone else. I should know, I've spent years building a pile of scrap in the garage. I am very attached to it even though I can't even roll/push it out the garage yet.

big_wasa

posted on 22/11/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm every time I get p1ssed of with it I think of breaking it up and selling it on. I walk in the garage and just cant.

They are like women, you cant live with and you cant live without

Thats my take on it any way.

caber

posted on 22/11/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Keep it quit the job build another with nice shiny bits

Caber

Guinness

posted on 22/11/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, no question at all. I'd be adding another garage to my mansion before I'd sell the Indy!

(I would however make a few "minor" detail changes to it, busa, full cage, new brakes, new .......................)

Mike

mad-butcher

posted on 22/11/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
congratulations on the win, keep the car to remind you what you acheived when you had F**k All.
Now get to F**k out off this 3rd world country, 2 bedroomed apartment in sharm el sheik £35000, International cart circuit just outside sharm.
Enjoy life your a long time dead

Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 22/11/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
My car might go through more evolution - new chassis, but powder coated, send engine away and get it built properly, might invest in a sequential box, but it'd deffo sat in my garage.

I'd be phoning Ultima and order a roofless and roofed GTR, and probably a new Espace, but Initiale spec. Might even restore a Jensen Interceptor, and fit it with a modern diesel

ATB

Simon

yellow melos

posted on 22/11/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a dutton that i did not build, but with all the mods i have made i so would NOT sell it, just means i would be able to buy all the nice expensive bits for it.

Probably would build somthing else as well !!!

mr henderson

posted on 22/11/08 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
One of the things about being rich is you never have to sell anything, and you've always got room to store all your stuff.

Paul McCartney still has just about every instrument and amplifier he has ever owned, how many other musicians could say that?

John

Fozzie

posted on 22/11/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
No way would I ever sell!

As said, lottery win means being able to buy a bigger place (garage) for more toys.......

Can't even understand why the question would need to be asked!

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

skodaman

posted on 22/11/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I wish i'd still got every car and bike i'd ever owned (well maybe apart from the panda and mz.) With loadsa money i'd love to make the locost better than a cateringvan in everyway. Would build a crossflow up from Burton's parts ie. mainly alloy and non-Ford. That would waste about five grand for a start.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 23/11/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I couldn't bear to sell mine - just like everyone else has said here.

I must admit that I was surprised when Jon sold the Isonblade - I had ridden in that beast! He must have been heartbroken when it got bent after it was sold. I'm glad it went back home!

[Edited on 23/11/08 by David Jenkins]

Shadowcaster

posted on 23/11/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Not much of mine to sell. Would get bigger garage, more tools and continue with the Roadster build but would put an RPi 4.6 ltr V8 in it.

Cheers Rich
The Roadster Blog http://richshaynesroadster.blogspot.com/
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

adithorp

posted on 23/11/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
With a big win I'd just need more cars.

I'd have a nice chalet in the alps for summer and winter. That needs both a good 4x4 and something good around the bends (so thats a kit). A place in Majorca for spring and autumn with something to drive. Of course I'd still have somewhere here so that needs more cars including something to criuse between all three places.

The money just gives you the opertunity to do what you enjoy...more. Without having to fix other peoples cars I'd enjoy playing with my own more.

I wouldn't be camping at the shows and mixing with the riff-raff though! ;-)

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Wadders

posted on 23/11/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
No point in selling if your numbers have come up, with the pathetic amount of cash most of our cars are worth, you may as well keep and enjoy.

Al.

wicket

posted on 23/11/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Mines been on the road nearly 3 years now and every time I open the garage I have too pinch myself, "did we really build that ourselves", and every time I drive it I have a grin from ear to ear most of the time.

I will definitely not be getting rid of my pride and joy, it will eventually be passed on to my son who helped with the build.

rf900rush

posted on 23/11/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I would have a complete strip down, get the best Haybusa turbo money can buy.
Have made a custom 4x4 drive system.

Every thing that can be made from carbon fibre including wheels made.

Then go on a diet.

Fozzie

posted on 23/11/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

......But he was still more excited about the car his team was building which will never ever come close to the Gallardo in any way........

Zil, I can relate to that! When I had mine at the workshop, I was in one weekend spraying the chassis ready for the final build, when in walked the owner of the works estate where we had a unit.

He owns many Historics, and races them around the world.....so no, not short of a few bob himself!
He had seen me at various stages building it up for the first time, with I think some amusement.. 'old school gent'....

When he saw what I was doing, he said, 'Wow that looks as though it will be great fun....'

So I, tongue in cheek, said, 'when its SVA'd I would take you out for a spin in it'......

He came into the workshop quite regularly after that, to see the final fit progress.....

Alas, t'other half kicked me out of the workshop, and I had to finish it off in the garage at home.......and rebuild the engine in the lounge of course......

Next thing I hear is that he had bought himself a Bugatti T35......... ......( a rich mans 7...IMHO..of the historic variety )

When asked by CKC which would be my lottery win car, I looked in amazement.....I already have it, sitting in the garage.....he really wanted an answer so I said the Fozzmobile ...... which I already have....
.. he put 'Locost' in the mag......
pressed for another, I said, Speed 8.... for 'wet days'.....

Get rid of it because of a lottery win?......never, no way!

Fozzie

[Edited on 25-11-08 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

DarrenW

posted on 25/11/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ive put my baby up for sale only because i have always said my kids will come first. However it really makes me think when my 6 year old begs me not to sell it and even my 3 year old asks when im going to take her to nursery next in it.
As said already they are more than just a car. Anyway my point is, if i need the cash the car will go, end of, before my family would suffer. However if money was no object then the car would never be sold. Developed yes, but not sold.

Jumpy Guy

posted on 25/11/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
funny that this comes up- i find myslef in a vaguely similar position..

I started building my car with my dad, as a way to spend a bit of time together

His health was deteriorating, so his 'hands on' input was limited, but we discussed what to do, and i did it

we were going to have it finsihed by xmas, and that was three years ago ;-)

Unfortuately, my dad died in July, and the car wasnt finsihed (but nearly, honest )

He wasnt a rich man, but he left me some cash. In theory, i could buy something nice, maybe an Elise, sell the locost.
But i cant. The car needs to be finished.
So its currently in MK, having my inheritance spent on finally getting it near completion.

This car will NEVER be sold.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.