Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 7's type shoot out
sonic

posted on 7/1/09 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
7's type shoot out

Has this ever been done

Top gear type thing were you get a few 7 type cars together at a track,MNR Indy Tiger etc etc and put them head to head.

They would all have to have similar engines or power output and be split into BEC and CEC groups.

The idea to see which gave the better lap times,driving characteristics etc.

I am suprised one of the Mag's havent done it yet.

Idea's??

ReMan

posted on 7/1/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Is'nt this what happens at track days?

It's been done at the 'Pod

[Edited on 7/1/09 by ReMan]

sonic

posted on 7/1/09 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking a bit more scientific than trackdays were it comes down to drivers etc
ReMan

posted on 7/1/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
And drivers weight?
stevebubs

posted on 7/1/09 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Too many variables involved ... as these cars are "home" built, it is extremely unlikely and 2 will perform the same so not really much point.

IMHO, a far better approach would be to look at the 750MC results for each class of engine....at least then you'd know all the cars are built to be competitive!

procomp

posted on 8/1/09 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

It has been done already but cant think which magazine did it though. The trouble was that when Caterham and Westfield came out top by a million miles the other manufacturers where all moaning.
I think they had all gotten used to the kitcar magazines doing the usual if you advertise we wont slate you car and give it a glowing review even though it was crap scenario. They used Mark Hales to do the test driving and he basicaly tells it how it is.

However with the new MAGNIFICENT SEVENS race series starting this year there is a chance to see many of the different seven type cars all competing in the same race with both BEC and CEC cars competing. Looks like being a fun race series espesialy with the very reasonable entry fees and time on circuit being 30 - 40 minute races.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kj

posted on 8/1/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Total kit car done this last year still have the mag in the garage.
The ultimate kit car dvd did a similar thing.

bimbleuk

posted on 8/1/09 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
As above Ultimate kit car DVD.

I think it was TRC magazine used to do a track day car of the year which the Striker won the budget category then never got invited back to defend their title!

Not so locost but here's a comparison of the 211, R500 and Atom

211 v R500 v Atom

[Edited on 8-1-09 by bimbleuk]

andylancaster3000

posted on 8/1/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp

However with the new MAGNIFICENT SEVENS race series starting this year there is a chance to see many of the different seven type cars all competing in the same race with both BEC and CEC cars competing. Looks like being a fun race series espesialy with the very reasonable entry fees and time on circuit being 30 - 40 minute races.

Cheers Matt

What's this then, sounds interesting, if a little pricey! Always nice to know the possibilities though. Can't seem to find much reference to it anyway.

Cheers
Andy

Hellfire

posted on 8/1/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Like Stevebubs says, there's just too many variables involved to get any meaningful results.

Like Matt says Caterham and Westfield came out tops. Just means they have larger budgets available to be able to produce a car for this purpose.

Phil

procomp

posted on 9/1/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Caterham and Westfiled did not build specials to put foward for the tests they supplied cars that where available from there std specifications and options listings. Money has nothing to do with it. It's the effort put into the development of the car that makes the big differences. But this is the same discussion going round and round again. Many variables and many differing opinions.

Links Etc for the MAGNIFICENT SEVENS series can be found in the racing section now.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 9/1/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I think you misunderstand me Matt. All I'm suggesting is that Caterham and Westfield may have supplied vehicles for the purpose of this test, whereas most of the lower volume manufacturers wouldn't be able to afford to do this.

Although I haven't seen the test, I do agree that it's the amount of effort put into the development which makes the difference and Caterham have been developing the seven now for 35 years.

Phil

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.