Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Lightweight Batteries
alistairolsen

posted on 8/1/09 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Lightweight Batteries

Im considering building an electric bike, and while the motors arent too expensive, the price of the power packs is prohibitive (£250)

Can anyone think of a locost way to achieve a compact lightweight 12v 36w or 48w power pack?

Anything thats standard fit somewhere, preferably Lithium Ion, but open to suggestions?

Cheers

graememk

posted on 8/1/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
laptop batterys from china

alistairolsen

posted on 8/1/09 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
a browse of ebay reveals:

11.1v
4700mah
322g
£35

Id need 16 of those, which isnt a problem at 5.2kg, but is a problem at £560

lol

Guinness

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Have you seen "quitgas"?

He used normal car batteries, and is a bit of an inspiration for me. Just waiting for the right bike / golf buggy combo to come up!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzi4tL3QMWk

Mike

alistairolsen

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thats really cool!

By bike however i meant pushbike.You can get hub motors up to 1kw which could be entertaining, but I need some light batteries to give me 48v and a reasonable range.

snapper

posted on 9/1/09 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
Disabled scooters, if your quick you can get them off whilst they use the loos in the supermarket

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

speedyxjs

posted on 9/1/09 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Disabled scooters, if your quick you can get them off whilst they use the loos in the supermarket

That should give you plenty of time

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
looked into this myself, every expensive to do tbh. Instead I spent far less buying a good racing bike and now can easily keep up with cars in town with little effort. Actually now looking at upgrading the brakes as it's a little too fast. Mountain bikes totally suck for road use.

Most ready to go electric bikes are dearer than a cheap second hand moped or small motorbike (usually about 1k) and considering the daft 120-140 mpg and the fact that you are still on the road as you would be on a push bike, plus you have real lights/indicators and a proper helmet. I see little point in an electric pushbike.

[Edited on 9/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 9/1/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
looked into this myself, every expensive to do tbh. Instead I spent far less buying a good racing bike and now can easily keep up with cars in town with little effort. Actually now looking at upgrading the brakes as it's a little too fast. Mountain bikes totally suck for road use.

Most ready to go electric bikes are dearer than a cheap second hand moped or small motorbike (usually about 1k) and considering the daft 120-140 mpg and the fact that you are still on the road as you would be on a push bike, plus you have real lights/indicators and a proper helmet. I see little point in an electric pushbike.

You need driving license for a moped or a scooter and you dont for an electric bike.....

I reckon you may be right tho, the expenditure required means it might be better just to buy a road bike!

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
just go for a CBT, lasts 2 years before you need to re-sit it, which takes half a day and cost £75. Ok so you have to have L-plates but still is way less embarrassing than skin tight cycle shorts. Road tax £15, insurance £150. Much cheaper than a battery pushbike that might get you home.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 9/1/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
just go for a CBT, lasts 2 years before you need to re-sit it, which takes half a day and cost £75. Ok so you have to have L-plates but still is way less embarrassing than skin tight cycle shorts. Road tax £15, insurance £150. Much cheaper than a battery pushbike that might get you home.

you still need to be allowed to have a license the gain a CBT. Come february her majesty may decide Im not allowed one for a while in which case Ill be moving house and having a 5 mile commute.

Looking around, for 300 quid one can get something fairly decent in road bikes whic is sub 15kg, whereas anything electric is going to be 30 :O

Time to get fit

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
quote:

you still need to be allowed to have a license the gain a CBT. Come february her majesty may decide Im not allowed one for a while in which case Ill be moving house and having a 5 mile commute.

Looking around, for 300 quid one can get something fairly decent in road bikes whic is sub 15kg, whereas anything electric is going to be 30 :O

Time to get fit

oops, hopefully you won't loose it for long.

alistairolsen

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
an unfortunate case of being in the wrong car at the wrong time!

Probably looking at 12 months, which is about how long it will take to finish the locost

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.