Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Arse of a weekend
prawnabie

posted on 15/2/09 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Arse of a weekend

My locost has been on the road since the beginning of the month. Only been out a few times, but have noticed an engine oil leak coming from between the sump and the gearbox.

So yesterday, armed with a new rear main seal, I took the engine out and stripped the sump off and the rear main carrier. To my amazement I noticed the spring had come out of the rear mail seal, tis puts the seal under pressure onto the crank and gives it a seal!!

So spent all day today putting the engine back in and lying on my back in coolant and oil trying to get everything connected back up.

Just about finished now, just waiting for an inlet manifold gasket then I will be back on the road!

Dangle_kt

posted on 15/2/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
good stuff mate! glad you got it sorted.
blakep82

posted on 15/2/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't sound too bad to me. i was expecting you to say you found a small leak, so took the engine out, dropped it on your food, broke a few studs in the block, your new seal didn't fit, the bearing fell apart, and when putting the engine back in, you (as my mate did last weekend) dropped it

he didn't do any damage really. he was lowering the car onto the engine, it was quite lined up, the car came down a bit quicket than expected, and the steering rack caught the cam belt cover. no real damage done he felt a bit bad though

anyway, doesn't sound like you had too bad a weekend. better if you didn't have to do it obviously, but it was alright

[Edited on 15/2/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 15/2/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was I believe slightly worse.... the tin top fuel punp went south so got another one and fitted this weekend, from the manual to remove the tank you need to release the fuel pipes:

"From under the vehicle, identify the fuel feed and return tank / pipe connections which are located above and slightly to the rear of the axle assembly.Identify the fuel feed pipe. Identify the fuel return pipe"

Sounds easy enough, however it fails to say to reach these connections you have to drop the rear axle.... its an XK8 so thats not trivial !!!

Anyway changed the pump for a new one, car will not start as although it pumps fuel there is no real pressure... so back out again, poxy thing is worse than the original.

I hate working on my everyday drive.

omega0684

posted on 15/2/09 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
no too bad really, i had lots of little niggles after mine was on the road but its all part of the fun!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aerosam

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Oh well, at least the rugby went w....

oh hang on,

MWWWAAAAAh HA HA HA!

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

martyn_16v

posted on 16/2/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Could have been worse, we could have got the spanking everyone was predicting. It was a lot better game than i'd hoped.

We're still utterly poo though

Simon

posted on 16/2/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aerosam
Oh well, at least the rugby went w....

oh hang on,

MWWWAAAAAh HA HA HA!

Yeah and how many top slots have Wales won in Rugby, Cricket, Football etc etc etc.........

It's coz we spread the talent quite thin innit, and have more than one sport

ATB

Simon

scutter

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Arse of a 24hrs, last night got the towcar a Volvo V40 T4 about ready for it's MOT, thought a quick blat around the airfield see how she goes, well I can tell you not very well with the bonnet against the windscreen, safety latch had stuck open and the catch had a mind of it's own. So new bonnet/windscreen and a damn good T cut of the roof needed.

Never mind I'll fix the 7 today, engine box out, I've been unable to get 3/4 and 5th. I'd put the 2 selector forks in the wrong way around, rebuilt, eng/box back in still no 5th. Got bored and fitted new gaskets and seals to a spare box, I'll fit that tomorrow after the wifes had her haircut.

So 6 hours playing with gearboxes to no avail and 1 fecked Volvo, this months getting too pricey.

Rant over thanks for listening, Dan.

P.s. Anyone got a spare V40 bonnet lying about?

[Edited on 16/2/09 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.