Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Gas turbine powered midi?
tegwin

posted on 11/3/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Gas turbine powered midi?

Ok... this is a hyperthetical(ish) question...

But lets say I wanted to build a midi powered by a gas turbine engine (either driving the wheels directly, or through the use of hydraulics or electrics)

And assuming I could meet the noise restrictions...

What other problems would I come across at SVA/MOT?

Cooling the exhuast gasses would be an interesting challenge... but I cant see any big issues with using such an engine

It would be quite fun to have a 400shp engine that weighs less than a briefcase full of snickers!

[Edited on 11/3/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

r1_pete

posted on 11/3/09 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Only in the USA, but its been done in a Motorcycle

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bilbo

posted on 11/3/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
It's been done on a Dax.

How To Fall Out With Your Neighbours

Don't think it's road legal though.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/3/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
The noise is a big issue though as even a miniature jet engine for R/C planes makes your ears ring. Mixing cool air is easy to sort the exhaust temp out. Their at best half as efficient on fuel as a conventional engine (the smaller ones use about 5 ltrs for 10 mins use) and suffer from long spool (especially from idle) and start up times. I'm buying a Jetcat engine for one of my r/c planes in the summer, could push my mountain bike along and costs £1200, hardly locost option for a mini

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 11/3/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
the DAX turbine car was gary's own little pet project, it was purely to see what it would be like but its not road legal.
tegwin

posted on 11/3/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
The noise is a big issue though as even a miniature jet engine for R/C planes makes your ears ring. Mixing cool air is easy to sort the exhaust temp out. Their at best half as efficient on fuel as a conventional engine (the smaller ones use about 5 ltrs for 10 mins use) and suffer from long spool (especially from idle) and start up times. I'm buying a Jetcat engine for one of my r/c planes in the summer, could push my mountain bike along and costs £1200, hardly locost option for a mini

They are only slow spool up because they are single spool turbines....

A proper turbine... like a small alison helicopter engine would be much more repsonsive... but I agree...less so than an IC engine.... which is why using Turbine/>electric makes more sence...

Can you imagine an ultima with a turbine engine in it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
It's been done in a Rover! A mid-engined variant of the P4 Rover to be precise, sometime in the 1950s. The prototype was in the Science Museum, last time I went (yonks ago).

They also did a Rover 2000 variant, and a 'proper racer' in collaboration with BRM.

[Edited on 11/3/09 by David Jenkins]

hughpinder

posted on 11/3/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yep the rover 2000/P6 definitately existed (and thats why its engine bay is the shape is is), I have an old report on it somewhere. If I remember it could do 0 -110 is one gear. The problems that I can remember where the enormous thirst (a very small number of mpg on kerosene), the 30 seconds it took the turbine to spin up every time you wanted to accelerate, and the paint getting burnt off the front of the car behind you at the lights!
I'll see if I can dig out that report.
Regards
Hugh

BenB

posted on 11/3/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
The main problems are indeed noise, heat and spool-up time.

Having a turbine driven electric motor would seem a nice solution though that would be a massively powerful regulator to control power to the electric motor.....

As I recall the Turbine p6 had to have massive amounts of heat-proofing material in the engine bay to prevent everything from melting....

Simon

posted on 12/3/09 at 01:39 AM Reply With Quote
The only reason they take a while to spool up is because they are like a massive turbo.

Now, imagine having half a dozen small ones - quick spool up, use maybe only one or two for cruising rest for blatting - on call so to speak.

Exhaust noise and temp would be easy fixes.

Very efficirent from what I gather, so emissions shouldn't present too much of a prob. Even then, always aim for a Q.

Volvo also did research into g/t cars about 15/20 years ago.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 12/3/09 by Simon]

ettore bugatti

posted on 16/3/09 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Jay Leno is building one.

GM styled body
custom chassis
Corvette C5 suspension and transaxle (Automatic)

Please look at his site "jay leno's garage"

Ninehigh

posted on 16/3/09 at 04:45 AM Reply With Quote
I take it from the links this isn't a jet engine like on fighter planes, so what is it?

0-225 in 15 seconds though? Want one

Broekens

posted on 26/3/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is a great idea. I remember from one of my lectures that the amount of sound a jet engine makes is proportionally to speed to the power eight. Making a huge damper would certainly work

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.