Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC to CEC
Hellfire

posted on 1/4/09 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
BEC to CEC

After doing lots of research on various engines, both motorcycle and car variants we have decided that when the summer is over, we are going to do an engine transplant on our Indy.

Primarily, the main factor taken into consideration in our decision was who drives the Indy the most and what sort of driving is done. As Dad is retired, he tends to use the Indy a lot and most of his driving is done at a rather leisurely pace and therefore a bike engine might not be best suited for his style of driving.

Responsiveness and quick acceleration are bike engine traits and they like to be revved, which is great fun on a track, but can lead to mishaps on the public highway. Dad has already had his license endorsed with three penalty points for exceeding the speed limit and he is now cautious whilst out driving and adheres strictly to the speed limits imposed.

In deciding which engine to replace the ZX12R with, we considered factors that we liked in engines. We wanted something with similar bhp, preferably more torque and quite high revving.

Looking around at various engines, we initially considered other bike engines, such as the FJR1300 and the Pan Euro but discounted them due to their complexity in a BEC

Finally, we considered….. wait for it….. car engines.

Obviously the Honda S2000 is prime candidate, however, it is slightly out of our price range unfortunately.

Other engines we considered were the Nissan SR20DET. Again, good bhp, torque but the complexity once again put us off

Lastly, we decided that although probably not the most modern of engines, we would replace our ZX12R engine with one that is tried and tested. OK, so they might not be the lightest engines out there, nor the most powerful but they are robust, easily tuneable and can return some impressive RWHP with bike carbs fitted. Besides which, the people who have them fitted always rave about them.

So….. Pinto engine it is!! Now we’ve decided, we can’t wait for summer to end, so we can get cracking on the transplant……

speedyxjs

posted on 1/4/09 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
I dont know why you've done it as april fools, it think you are the fool with the bike engine

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

YQUSTA

posted on 1/4/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote

stevec

posted on 1/4/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/4/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed, and I believe there is no other engine that should be in a car except one from a bike. However....
My BEC only ventures on the road to ensure things are OK for the next Sprint. I'm wary of speed, noise, cameras, licence and all the rest. There's one speed on the car, one style of driving and it's not compliant with Nu-Brittun.
I have a 1000cc sports bike too, which is just the same, sub 100 mph just feels like being stationary. Again, there's a lot of fear taking it on Nu-Brittuns roads.
Both are now pretty much on the track only, I haven't even thought of making more sensible engine choices.

My daily driver is a 1993 Mondeo. End game.

vinny1275

posted on 1/4/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't you do excatly the same one last year Hellfire?

omega0684

posted on 1/4/09 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
BRILLIANT !! !! GO PINTO!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 1/4/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Oh, more torque and bhp? You need a ST170 engine, 170bhp and 200lb/ft.... or a V8...

Alan Shearer Newcastle manager? Now thats a real joke is it not

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 1/4/09 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah Pinto Power!!!!!!

woodster

posted on 1/4/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
made me lol
chrisg

posted on 1/4/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Beat me to it, I'd got this ready

I wonder if anyone can help this club member with his problem?

“Hi Chris,

I’m thinking about making some improvements to my Locost, and I’m looking for some info/advice.

I built my car in 2004 with a Hyabusa engine but now I’d like to change it for something more reliable and less irritating. I’ve been looking at Pinto engines and I think that’s what I’m going to go for.

Do you know any members that have made this conversion or any online guides that would show me how it was done? I hope to get this done pretty quickly so that I can enjoy all that creamy torque this summer!!

Best Wishes

RT Fishall”

Anyone help, this morning if possible?

Cheers

Chris

Great minds eh?

[Edited on 1/4/09 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.