New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: protect your ears!
smart51

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
protect your ears!

BBC

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
It’s only taken them over 100 years to notice convertibles are loud? Total generalisation of a story, I’ve been in many modern convertibles that are boringly quiet and what about the dangers to your hearing with a window down? that's very load sometimes but oh yeah that wouldn’t be a baseless scare tactic story…news what a load of cr$p

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Someone at the BBC doesn't understand dB.

quote:
exposes the ears to sound levels sometimes nearing those made by a pneumatic drill...around 90 decibels, with a high of 99 decibels....A pneumatic drill - 110 decibels

110dB is not an any sense near 99dB it being a logarithmic scale.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

roadrunner

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
What was that , i cant here you.
pewe

posted on 7/10/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Having ridden bikes for years I can testify that wearing earplugs should be mandatory.
They reckon even with a full-face helmet 1 minute in a 60mph airstream can damage your hearing. Problem is hearing loss is progressive and it's later in life all those angry grinder/open top blasts come home to roost.
BTW I buy all my plugs from Lucy Dell www.earplugsbypost.com
Wide range and really good prices/service.
Cheers Pewe

chrsgrain

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
It is a bit of the blindingly obvious - as has been said motorcyclists and freefall parachutists have known about it for years! I've got a set of moulded to me earplugs, which are great as you can wear them under a full face helmet, a flying helmet or normal ear defenders - for full belt and braces approach!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's someone trying to stop people building kit cars!......Oooops, silly me, the Govt already did that with the IVA

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

wilkingj

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
As an oldie, I can guarantee that too much of loud noises will do long term damage to your hearing.

I am 56 and loosing my hearing (Its worse than it was 10 years ago).

Main problem for me was my mates Grandmother was Manager of Lewisham Odeon, and we saw bands like the WHO.
We were regularly seated dead centre and 8 rows from the stage (Friends on the band and Promoters seats !).
I had tinitus for 3 days after that concert. SHIT they were LOUD

Believe me, when I say these things catch up with you in later life.

Whilst I agree with most of the above, the BBC have only just found another piece of "sansationalist journalism"

Like most media people, TV and newspapers alike, they dont usually let the truth get in the way of a good story, or making money - which it what its really about

ie they will tell you what they want you to hear (Not a PUN!)

Yes there is some truth in it, and yes you can damage your hearing, so just take care and a few precautions. You wont regret it later in life.

EDIT:
I also rode a 500cc Triumph in the days when it was not a legal requirement to wear a helmet. Again, it LOOKED cool, but I didnt realise the damage I was starting to do.
Now the evil machines even include MP3 players and IPOD's

Ahh... we grow wiser as we grow older. What good is that wisdom if we dont pass it on to the younger people so they benefit from out mistakes.

Young un's.... TAKE HEED of an old codger.

[Edited on 7/10/2009 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Turbulent air and hissing are the worst sound for damaging hearing. Wading through journalistic misunderstanding of decibels, the advice to roll up your windows is sound.

londonsean69

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
At 28 I really struggle with hearing already.

I rode bikes for a long time, although I did eventually start using earplugs.

The main thing for me was spending about 5 years, 2 or 3 nights a week in clubs, with sound systems bigger than the average house (they used to turn up in 3 artics!)

As such, now, when someone is talking to me, I need them to attract my attention first. I find it hard to distinguish from the background noise.

God only knows what it will be like in later years

Sean

speedyxjs

posted on 7/10/09 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cruising with the top down at speeds of 50-70mph (80-112km/h) exposes the ears to sound levels sometimes nearing those made by a pneumatic drill, they argue.

I call that a pile of bull.

I took my mg midget up to 80 - 90 regularly with the top down and that was no where near a pneumatic drill.

(80 - 90 kph obviously )

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 7/10/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Wind noise has got to be the last of my worries over the induction racket from the motorcycle lump!
Seriously, another non-story from a ban-everything-remotely-annoying-or-dangerous society. Government News.

At least at 'home', I can drink, smoke and operate an angle grinder. Or at least I should, but neighbours and the council dictate otherwise.... modern society, intolerant.

One day... one day...

franky

posted on 7/10/09 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I can only recommend Schuberth helmets for those with bikes.... so so quiet compared to everything else on the market and German build quality to boot.

As mentioned above the DB scale is not linear so saying a drill 90db my wife is 130db isn't very clear. My wife at 130db is about 3 times the perceived loudness of a 90db drill.

smart51

posted on 7/10/09 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
a drill 90db my wife is 130db isn't very clear. My wife at 130db is about 3 times the perceived loudness of a 90db drill.

You have a very loud wife at 130 dB

Benzine

posted on 7/10/09 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
"I want to be young and wild, and then I want to be middle-aged and rich - and then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf"

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Canada EH!

posted on 7/10/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Back when I was racing tintops we went from open face to closed face helmets, the open face worked well to deaden the sounds of the other cars 1300cc Mini's and the like.
The minute we went ot closed face there were a couple of Mini's that were so loud I would see which side the exhaust was on so would pass them on the other side.
Started wearing ear plugs under the helmet.
And yes at 66 my hearing is not as good, especially when the wife is talking.

wilkingj

posted on 7/10/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
"I want to be young and wild, and then I want to be middle-aged and rich - and then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf"

If you dont take care of your hearing, you wont need to pretend to be deaf... You will be!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

bigpig

posted on 7/10/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
BBC

My MK should be fine then as its just an open top rather than convertible

Ninehigh

posted on 10/10/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by londonsean69
At 28 I really struggle with hearing already.

I rode bikes for a long time, although I did eventually start using earplugs.

The main thing for me was spending about 5 years, 2 or 3 nights a week in clubs, with sound systems bigger than the average house (they used to turn up in 3 artics!)

As such, now, when someone is talking to me, I need them to attract my attention first. I find it hard to distinguish from the background noise.

God only knows what it will be like in later years

Sean

Ohhh yes, really take care of your ears guys, otherwise one night when you go to bed and it's all quiet (ish) and you realise that ringing's been going on for a few weeks now. Well guess what, that's your new sound of silence pal get used to it!

If somebody's talking to me in the car I have to turn the radio down so much everyone else complains they can't hear it. Mind you send this warning to my stepdaughter who has music on so loud I can hear it from the far end of the room and they're closed headphones too!

Oh and the "not being able to understand speech fully" part makes you look thick

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.