Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hello, new forum member introducing himself
wrnchbndr

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hello, new forum member introducing himself

I'm hoping this is the forum I've been looking for. My name is Mark and I've dreamed of a Lotus Seven ever since I saw my first in Bury St Edmunds 20 years ago while serving at RAF Lakenheath. I've spent a total of about fifteen years in the UK and am fairly fluent in understanding the Queen's English. I also understand that DIY hotrodding isn't as easy to do in the UK and the folks who do have my greatest respect. There is also an greater cultural element of doing things properly the first time so I'm hoping that I can score the most benificial advice from this forum. My hotrod/sportscar history has been mainly Chevrolet Camaros and then Spitfires while in the UK. I currently drive a 2000 Camaro SS with an LS1 (340 hp) and manual six speed. Its a hoot to drive and I get around 21mpg average unless I put my foot into it often. This is my prospective donor car. It has 4 wheel disc brakes with traction control and power assisted rack and pinion steering. The factory tires/wheels are 275/40/17. I fully understand that the power is overkill but its a superbly built all-aluminum powerplant that typically achieves 200,000 miles before needing a rebuild. My engine has only 45K and is quiite fresh. I'll discuss the problems with this idea in the technical forums -- I just want to say hello.

Always keep the shiney side up.

blakep82

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
hello
where are you from originally then?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Mark!

Yes, you're in the right place... it's a fairly diverse bunch of guys and gals on here so answers will be forthcoming to all questions whether they relate to cars or not!

Not sure if anyone on here is using the LS1 in their build... probably is knowing some of the nutters! Look forward to hearing how your build goes!

Cheers

Scootz

It's Evolution Baby!

russbost

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
& welcome to the loony bin - you are of course looking at putting your engine at the wrong end of the project ie front not mid!!

You will find all the tech info & more help than you will believe possible from this site!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Danozeman

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome. All kinds of info here!!

Why break such a good car?!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

RichardK

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome Mark, sounds like an interesting project you have there.

Take care and don't forget the search function, guarantee it'll save you loads of time.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Wellcome Mark

I'm sure you'll get lots of help here.

Regards
Hugh

coozer

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome chep, time to get the spanners out and turn the Camaros into a 7??

Go on, you know its right

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

antonio

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
bienvenue!
55ant

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
hi! there is, without a doubt, someone on this site that will be able to answer your questions! and yeah, search function is v.usefull! where are you?

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

55ant

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
hi! there is, without a doubt, someone on this site that will be able to answer your questions! and yeah, search function is v.usefull! where are you?

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

Daddylonglegs

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. I was stationed not too far from Lakenheath myself between 1976-1979 at RAF Honington. Spent many a good night at Lakenheath in the bars .

Sounds like your car should have a reasonable turn of speed!

Good luck, and looking forward to the build photos.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/12/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
LS1 in a seven.............mental!

If you do go for something less muscley, there are guys on here looking to build LS1 powered coffee tables.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

wrnchbndr

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I got great encouragement over in the donor car section. I'm just a bit south of Trenton NJ, -- horsey country -- race horses and stables -- rural. I'm originally from California. I'm in NJ because this is where the USAF dropped me off at my last assignment and I just can't face to move the household one more time. I went native in the UK but its unlikely that'll happen to me in NJ. I need to brew my own beer to get a decent pint and I do a fair job of it. I nearly retired in the UK but the USAF messed that up and put me in NJ. My trouble and strife hails from Cambridge -- cut me some slack for stealing one of your national treasures.

Nash

posted on 14/12/09 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,
Its a pleasure.

Welcome and Good Hunting

..........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

RK

posted on 15/12/09 at 02:56 AM Reply With Quote
If you go on usa7's and look around, you will find at least one guy who couldn't register his caterham in NJ, so you should check up on that. Personally, I don't see how much more than the engine and tranny from a Camaro is going to be useful in a 7. In general, it makes the whole thing a lot harder when non standard engines are used. I can testify to this personally!! But welcome. They aren't hard on non-natives here, and are actually very very helpful.
wrnchbndr

posted on 15/12/09 at 03:55 AM Reply With Quote
Being new to the forum, I should be careful about attempts at humor. Prior to joining, I read many posts in your forum and its clear that there is an abundance of generous and good hearted people. I post daily to a number of luthery forums and give a lot of my time to others who are new to the craft and players who want to dabble in DIY repairs or have questions. For me its like doing crossword puzzles in the morning. I understand the value of what people bring to a forum. Brits are seldom hard on non-natives except those who live on top of a military base and I can understand how young airmen would become tedious after a while. I fell in love with the UK and the way people live in a more realistic reality ... of what a good beer should taste like. God bless all barmaids for their smiles and eagerness to serve a good pint.

Andy D

posted on 15/12/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, I know of a Chevrolet engined Westfield..

Frankenstein's monster. ;-)

carpmart

posted on 15/12/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrnchbndr
Being new to the forum, I should be careful about attempts at humor. Prior to joining, I read many posts in your forum and its clear that there is an abundance of generous and good hearted people. I post daily to a number of luthery forums and give a lot of my time to others who are new to the craft and players who want to dabble in DIY repairs or have questions. For me its like doing crossword puzzles in the morning. I understand the value of what people bring to a forum. Brits are seldom hard on non-natives except those who live on top of a military base and I can understand how young airmen would become tedious after a while. I fell in love with the UK and the way people live in a more realistic reality ... of what a good beer should taste like. God bless all barmaids for their smiles and eagerness to serve a good pint.

From the way you write this post, you should consider one more move back to blighty!

You clearly miss us!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Angel Acevedo

posted on 15/12/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Suitable US Donors

quote:
Originally posted by wrnchbndr
I'm hoping this is the forum I've been looking for. My name is Mark and I've dreamed of a Lotus Seven ever since I saw my first in Bury St Edmunds 20 years ago while serving at RAF Lakenheath. I've spent a total of about fifteen years in the UK and am fairly fluent in understanding the Queen's English. I also understand that DIY hotrodding isn't as easy to do in the UK and the folks who do have my greatest respect. There is also an greater cultural element of doing things properly the first time so I'm hoping that I can score the most benificial advice from this forum. My hotrod/sportscar history has been mainly Chevrolet Camaros and then Spitfires while in the UK. I currently drive a 2000 Camaro SS with an LS1 (340 hp) and manual six speed. Its a hoot to drive and I get around 21mpg average unless I put my foot into it often. This is my prospective donor car. It has 4 wheel disc brakes with traction control and power assisted rack and pinion steering. The factory tires/wheels are 275/40/17. I fully understand that the power is overkill but its a superbly built all-aluminum powerplant that typically achieves 200,000 miles before needing a rebuild. My engine has only 45K and is quiite fresh. I'll discuss the problems with this idea in the technical forums -- I just want to say hello.

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum.
After 20 minutes or so of editing a post reply to the other post you made, I hit the wrong key combination and lost all I had.
As replied to you on the other topic, even a Viper engine has been used so LS1 should be no problem.
I have been here for a while, and the first advise i was passed on was to use the search function as much as possible, there´s a wealth of information here, so much that even if I try as hard as I can, there´s very little I can contribute to this forum.
The second was to check the locostusa forum, where you can get a better outlook for suitability of the Camaro and other donors.
I´m currently doing a 5.0 Mustang Based build, and there are a couple of other mustang based builds.
Another great tip was that the further away yo go from light and proven, the more you have to study and solve by yourself. Don´t ask me how I know
Hope this Helps
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 15/12/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
The Locostusa guys think they can build space shuttles in their garages, and many don't succeed building their cars, but I found a ton of good info over there nonetheless. It's just way harder over here, when the car has such English characteristics, and is based on such small cars we never saw, or saw very rarely. Building electric guitars (yes, the neck too!) didn't really prepare me for all this.
wrnchbndr

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
The usa7 forum is not nearly as hard core busted knuckle as this one. Its more "write a cheque for salvation or rescue" although there are a few real wrenchbenders among them. Good info in both forums

wrnchbndr

posted on 16/12/09 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hey RK, go to webshots.com. Do a search there using my user name "wrnchbndr" then modify the search to albums. We should get along fine.

RK

posted on 16/12/09 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
Usa7's might be "why make when you can buy", but Locostusa.com is definitely for the self described mechanical genius types. But as I said, they don't finish any more often than a scratch build locoster in the UK. Not a critique, just a bigger challenge in the colonies.

Nice guitars though! Never thought of putting mine online anywhere. I quit at two, cause I already had too many.

Send me your email and I'll link you to my Picasaweb build pics. I'm trying to arrange registration here in Quebec at the moment.

[Edited on 16/12/09 by RK]

wrnchbndr

posted on 16/12/09 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
w...bndr@verizon.net

I also post daily to fenderforum.com in the repairs and mods section.

I got some stick about my user name once but I've been using it for so long that I'm not going to change it. Its all about bending wrenches on bolts that refuse to move like lug nuts on old VWs. Bending wrenches is what a mechanic does all day. Knuckle busting -- kncklbstr was also an option but at the time I thought it conveyed a violent nature. I worked as a motorcycle mechanic for a few years after finishing school before I joined the USAF and that's where I became a bender of wrenches.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.