Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Scrapyards in Sussex.
bodger

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Scrapyards in Sussex.

Can anyone recommend a good scrappy - sorry Vehicle Recyclers in the South East. I'm down near Brighton. What's the deal with these places now, are you allowed to crawl all over the cars like you could in the past or is it all bl**dy Health & Safety restricted ?
andylancaster3000

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Pease Pottage.

Went there a few years ago. A huge place and able to remove parts yourself. Whether it's still like that I dunno!

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
We have two in Aberdeen, one that is more like a shop where they take the parts of and usually won’t let you in to the yard

The other is like the old type where you help yourself and much better. To give you and idea I once went into the shop ones yard to pick a Capri box and they had 3 complete Landrovers that had all gone green from moss. A landy in the other yard lasts about a day before it stripped bare. Its not H&S, just stupidity.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Worzey

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
GW Bridges in Pease Pottage

http://www.gwbridges.co.uk/

Not been for ages but it used to be good.

Caterham R400

locostbuyer83

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
yeah i used to go to pease pottage, not sure if its open weekends tho!

otherwise try partsgateway.co.uk for breakers online.

nick205

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Most seem to be going the H&S more business focussed approach and not letting you in to their yards.

My long time local favourite managed to get planning permission for light industrial units and simply cleared the site in 2-3 days before the developers completed their land purchase - the scrappy was laughing all the way to the bank

My other local favourite still lets you in and is more than happy to throw cars around with his Hy-Mac if you need the car at the bottom of the heap

Kriss

posted on 5/1/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
deffo bridges at pease pottage - great place and as said, can dive in plenty of cars and pull out what you want
wicket

posted on 5/1/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.gwbridges.co.uk/

Saturday 8am-4pm

Jasper

posted on 5/1/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Last two times I went to Bridges I spent AGES taking off a few small parts off crap old cars, steering column switches and other small items. Took 'em up to the desk and they wanted something stupid like £20 for each bit, needless to say I threw them all down and walked out.

So, check the prices of things BEFORE you take them off, and make sure you load up your pockets with even more bits, they are money grabbin' pikeys up there.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

jimgiblett

posted on 5/1/10 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
You obviously look too affluent Jasper.

I have heard a few other guys say similar things but I have always come away with bargains eg a sierra steering wheel and full column incl. switch gear for a fiver.

- Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Last two times I went to Bridges I spent AGES taking off a few small parts off crap old cars, steering column switches and other small items. Took 'em up to the desk and they wanted something stupid like £20 for each bit, needless to say I threw them all down and walked out.

So, check the prices of things BEFORE you take them off, and make sure you load up your pockets with even more bits, they are money grabbin' pikeys up there.

[Edited on 5/1/10 by jimgiblett]

Jasper

posted on 5/1/10 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not in the dirty old clothes I was in He wanted £10 for each side of column switches Probably depends on who serves you ....

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

02GF74

posted on 6/1/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
i was there a few times when I lived nearby.

check prices first prior to taking apart esle you are wasting your time.

ebay has no dout hoiked up scrappy prices to make them almpost not worth while plus the H&S aspect of not being able to take it apart yourself - often you are looking for a part but don't know the car so area bit stuck.

argggh the cat has just clawed up her way onto my lap.

Pezza

posted on 6/1/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Bridges are thieving wankers.
Took a rad out or an old rover 214, they wanted £20 quid and not a penny less at the desk, slung it over the counter and told 'em where to shove it, picked up a brand new one for £24 :S

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.