Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Q plate ?
breezy

posted on 19/6/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Q plate ?

Hi Folks....for give me if i sound lame. New to all this.
Now can anyone tell me in the simplest way, is it possible to still build a kit from various donor vehicles and still get it past a VSA or that new IVA i thing.
As years ago it was, well when I had a Dutton to run around in it was.
Or is it the norm now to have one donor to use. then once passed the test modify it as you see fit?

Cheers
Craig

You've turned into your dad the day you put aside a thin piece of
wood specifically to stir paint with.

Miks15

posted on 19/6/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
nope pretty sure you can use bits from all sorts of different cars.

I think its 3 major components from one donor will give you an age related plate, IF not then a Q plate.

If you want to use all new parts then youll get a new reg

tomprescott

posted on 19/6/10 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you can build from any mixed and matched parts (but get receipts to prove not stolen etc...) Cars now have to go though an IVA (used to be SVA) pretty similar just more expensive, the manual for IVA requirements can be downloaded online.

The advantage (or not, depending on your views) of using a single donor is that you can get an age related plate and almost everything you need is in one place already, alternatively if you show all new (with one reconditioned) parts you can get a brand new reg, its done on a points system - so major mechanical components are worth different points, you need a total number of points (think its 8?) to get a brand new reg.

A bird in the hand....

iank

posted on 19/6/10 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
nope pretty sure you can use bits from all sorts of different cars.

I think its 3 major components from one donor will give you an age related plate, IF not then a Q plate.

If you want to use all new parts then youll get a new reg

It's 2 major components these days.

See the Kit conversion rules.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

If you are building your own chassis from tube then it's not a kit conversion (strictly speaking) and you need the Radically altered vehicle rules
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014199

Dealing with the DVLA can be a bit of a lottery at to which rules some random employee decides to use - if you don't like their choice and it's wrong then you need to contact swansea to have them 'realigned'.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Confused but excited.

posted on 19/6/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger! Now I can't have an age related plate.

Engine = 1
Transmission = 2
Axle = 2
Steering = 2
----------------------
Total = 7

I need a total of 8.

POO! POO! POO!

And I sooooo wanted an age relayed plate.

Edited to rant; Sod it, I don't even have 7. You have to use both front and rear axles off the donor to score 2 points.
IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!

[Edited on 19/6/10 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Richard Quinn

posted on 20/6/10 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Bugger! Now I can't have an age related plate.

Engine = 1
Transmission = 2
Axle = 2
Steering = 2
----------------------
Total = 7

I need a total of 8.

POO! POO! POO!

And I sooooo wanted an age relayed plate.

Edited to rant; Sod it, I don't even have 7. You have to use both front and rear axles off the donor to score 2 points.
IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!

[Edited on 19/6/10 by Confused but excited.]

John - Have you got the V5 for the donor that "all" those parts came off? When I did mine I got the impression that he would have preferred to have given me an age-related mark rather than a Q

breezy

posted on 21/6/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys that's made things a bit clearer. Think on reflection a single donor maybe my best choice, as nowadays trying to obtain any replacement car parts without relevant VIN details is a pain in the rectum!

Days have long gone when you could have slapped a set of points (showing me age) on the counter and a bloke in coveralls would say.....mmm....yeah there same as Lucas 407050 blah blah.....shame - taken all the fun out of motoring now!

You've turned into your dad the day you put aside a thin piece of
wood specifically to stir paint with.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.