Posts 236
Registered 10/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: built megablade in 2004 & ive still got it

posted on 27/9/10 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
death of a kit car & driver

clicky

my condolences go out to the family but
looking at the comments aren't human beings an amazing unsympathetic stereotyping bunch, however the newspaper using the word 'racing car' doesn't help matters, maybe it just the people in Brighton but there i go again, judging people who i know nothing about!!!!

[Edited on 27/9/10 by andyfiggy2002]

GMPMotorsport

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
So sad and some of the comments are appalling!

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GMPMotorsport

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
So sad and some of the comments are appalling!

[Edited on 27/9/10 by GMPMotorsport]

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sad day RIP.
Some shameful , ill informed and totally unnecessary comments there.

jabbahutt

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Some truly shocking examples of the nastier side of human nature in those posts. What worries me is no matter what vehicle had been involved in the crash, be it a Caterham or Corsa(must of been a boy racer) or motorcyclist (they all ride badly and deserve it) these people would of found a reason to peddle their downright nasty bile filled views on someone they had no knowledge of.

It's saddening that decent people died in 2 world wars and contiue to die today fighting to allow these utter cretins the freedom to write such ill informed rubbish and cause distress to family and friends of the cars occupants.

RIP

ashg

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Very sad news. some of those comments made me feel sick. i bet not one of those people that made nasty comments would be so brash if if were one of their own.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

balidey

posted on 27/9/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Most comments attached to the bottom of stories like this are written by people that like the sound of their own voice.

Sad day to hear of anyone die like that. To see rubbish comments by the journalist (yeah right) makes it seem worse.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

whitestu

posted on 27/9/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
There seems to be an agenda to make speed as anti social as smoking. I'm not suggesting the poor guy in the article was speeding, but the article implies it with the language used.

Lots of people have already bought into this and are ready to criticise at the first opportunity.

thunderace

posted on 27/9/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
is says that it hit a parked Land Rover on a bend.very sad

i emaild the guy who wrote the story this ,please all send him a email saying your not happy with his story of events>>>

Two facts you fail to take into acount, "racing car crash "
a Caterham Seven is not a race car
second fact is collided with a parked Land Rover on a bend.
take a look at the law on parking at or near a bend please.
(shame on you, storys like this have no respect for the peoples family when it may not have been his fault)

[Edited on 27/9/10 by thunderace]

se7en

posted on 27/9/10 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
It is truly a sad day for the parents and family of the deceased. It is also a sad day for the parents and family of his female passenger; I hope that she recovers from her injuries.

It is obvious from the comments that they are made on the belief that the previous comments are true. The editorial and the third comment make waves for others to exacerbate the story and paint a deceptive picture for the following comments.

It appears that Naomi Loomes does not have a clue about the car involved. She has sensationalised the story, I believe, to sell more papers and in doing so, has sown seeds of ‘racing car – must have been going too fast’ in reader’s minds. The comments left by many readers are using her editorial for their ‘knowledge’ of the Caterham, vis, Designed for racing, Hit anything bigger than a fag packet in a Caterham and you're dead. No protection, my condolences but you drive like a nutter, you die, crap car tho, Caterham's are a custom hand built tin can.

There is no point in leaving any comment on this site as the story told is flawed and when readers see that they will take a lot of convincing otherwise. My comment and those of fellow Sevenesque car owners will be ignored by the general public as the public will believe their sensationalising author, Naomi. It is a fruitless task to try to convince them otherwise. The more comments left by us knowledgeable people would split opinion and, in the end, cause a ‘I know better than you’ debacle.

Of course, these are only my view of the situation and if you think that I am wrong, I do not wish to create a triad of condemnation for my thoughts.

Tom

jossey

posted on 27/9/10 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
very sad!

dave j

wilkingj

posted on 27/9/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Very Sad indeed.

The trouble with the papers is simply...

"Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story"

They are in the business of selling a product, regardless of the truth. The more sensational, the better it sells.
I very rarely buy newspapers, as being present twice at incidents that were reported, and seeing the lies that were printed, has caused me to withdraw my support for their products (ie buying their newspapers).

My condolances to the family and friends of the deceased.

[Edited on 27/9/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/9/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
It's a sickening world. Any life is precious, even in the ageing South West.

Apparently the two young motorcyclists who lost their lives on the A3072 when in collision with a Freelander (stereotypical pensioner 'Smidsy' event)...... were simply on 'racebreed motorcycles'.

Similar sickening comments from those around me.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 27/9/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
opppppppssssssss

I sent the little lady a nice message complaining about her conduct, i also cc'd it into her editor......

quote:

Ms Loomes

I see from your recent and much , miss-informed story on the death of the gentleman in his "racing car" which came across as purely intended to sell news, nothing more nothing less, the vehicle in question a Caterham, it is first and foremost designed as a ROAD USE vehicle (as are all motor vehicles) & as with any motor vehicle it can be adapted for use in motor sport events, I feel some what qualified to comment as a now retired V.O.S.A enforcement officer, where i worked in close collaboration my colleges at the national traffic police accident investigation unit, also as a motor vehicle engineer for many years, a member of I.A.M. who shock horror also rides a motorcycle, a National "B" race licence holder for the last 20 years.

Now your reported piece "journalism" (but i fail to really see anyone managing to stretch their imagination to calling the dishwater you wrote a piece of journalism) was riddled with inaccuracies, which only shows you to be a very inexperienced little girl trying to lie her way to the top ( i suppose it beats sleeping your way to the top) for that i must commend you.

You might also do well to read and (at the very least try to) understand The Road Traffic Act 1991 and The Road Safety Act 2006.

The Road Traffic Acts regulate the use of vehicles and the conduct of drivers on roads. In particular they concentrate on road safety, the construction and use of vehicles and equipment, the licensing of drivers of vehicles, insurance requirements and details of the procedure to be followed to enforce any contravention and guidance on the appropriate sentences.

Also the highway code for the layman (more your level of reading i fear) which covers a part on where it is appropriate (and inappropriate) to stop a vehicle on a public carriageway, as you may well find that a bend falls into the inappropriate category.

I wish you a good day little girl, and I hope you learn to report the facts as they are not lies dammed lies

I have also reported YOU directly & your story to the P.C.C. (Press Complaints Commission) for the blatant and sensationalist lies contained within

[Edited on 27/9/10 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Peteff

posted on 27/9/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
From my reading of the article it sounds like he hit a Land Rover parked on a bend, not one picked up on that. You cannot judge a situation and apportion blame unless you are there to see what happened. I agree that comments should have been disabled or read before publishing at least. Some of those should be removed now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

steve m

posted on 27/9/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
The road traffic bit was a tad strong

HAhahahaha

But do we know for sure it was a Caterham ????

also the road in question doesnt really have any "bends" it does have curves, but why anything would be parked there is another question, as theres nothing there ??

[Edited on 27/9/10 by steve m]

atspeed racing

posted on 27/9/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
A sad loss.
I can understand why everyone is so up in arms about the poor newspaper report and how it was written, seems so unfair on what could have been a non speed related accident, none of us would appear to have the full story yet.

But...would it not have been wise to try to get the journalist on our side, explain about what these cars are etc...in the long run it might be more prudent to get her on our side, she might then print something more in the kit cars favour, maybe become a fan of kit cars..you never know!

Just a thought. Perhaps it could still be done?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 27/9/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You cannot judge a situation and apportion blame unless you are there to see what happened.

Unfortunately, that is how the Justice system works.

And I can say, from first hand experience, that if you drive a sports car you are going to be considered at fault.

Infact, I was considered to be 'Showing off in your sports car'.

The Police will conclude with the easiest path possible (statistics count, not the truth) that will no doubt include 'excessive speed' and blame the driver for the accident. ATEOTD, dead people can't argue.

I genuinely feel for the familes of the two people involved (hope the lady makes a full and speedy recovery)and, as I mentioned, I know first hand the absolute appauling nature of stereotypes and the consequences they can carry.

I hope this opens the eyes of some of you on here - because of the car you drive, you are labelled by even the people who are held in highest regard/responsible for making decisions that drastically affect your life.

As such, they will discriminate against you.

So stay safe out there people

[Edited on 27/9/10 by Rocket_Rabbit]

balidey

posted on 27/9/10 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
atspeed racing, I see where you are coming from and would hope getting a journalist on side would help in some small way in the future. But did you not read that crap article? Not the sort of person to see reason. Unfortunatly the numbers of papers sold ilke this are aimed towards the lower end of the intellectual spectrum and it seems the stories and the actual journalists* (ha) are of a similar mentality.
So, IMHO, not the sort of person to have on board and not the sort of person that would listen to sensible reason.

interestedparty

posted on 27/9/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
This is the report when I read it just now, (don't read the BEC forum much, wondering why it was posted there?)-

"The A283 near the derelict Shoreham cement works was closed for more than four hours this morning after a man lost control of his sports car on a bend.

The man, who has not yet been named, is believed to have been driving a two-seater Caterham Seven racing car when it collided with a parked Land Rover at around 7am.

The sports car left the road and went into bushes between the Shoreham and Upper Beeding exits.

Police and paramedics were called but the driver was declared dead at the scene.

His female passenger suffered serious injuries and is in the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

If you have any information call 0845 60 70 999 quoting Operation Amhurst.

If you know the driver please leave your tributes below. "

Apart from describing the car as a racing car, I can't really see anything wrong with the report, so has it been edited recently (I mean after the earlier posts on this thread)?

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

balidey

posted on 27/9/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like its been edited, but the silly title still remains.
Also the comments should not have been enabled. I find this sort of facility stupid. Look at the comments below every single youtube video (just used as an example). If you let people leave comments, then everyone regardless of their connection or intelligence will write crap.

andyfiggy2002
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 10/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: built megablade in 2004 & ive still got it

posted on 27/9/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
looks like were all in unison regarding this tragedy

caterham forum

westfield forum

this address below might be of interest to some of you!!!!!

editor@theargus.co.uk

[Edited on 27/9/10 by andyfiggy2002]

scootz

posted on 27/9/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket_Rabbit
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You cannot judge a situation and apportion blame unless you are there to see what happened.

Unfortunately, that is how the Justice system works.

And I can say, from first hand experience, that if you drive a sports car you are going to be considered at fault.

Infact, I was considered to be 'Showing off in your sports car'.

The Police will conclude with the easiest path possible (statistics count, not the truth) that will no doubt include 'excessive speed' and blame the driver for the accident. ATEOTD, dead people can't argue.

I genuinely feel for the familes of the two people involved (hope the lady makes a full and speedy recovery)and, as I mentioned, I know first hand the absolute appauling nature of stereotypes and the consequences they can carry.

I hope this opens the eyes of some of you on here - because of the car you drive, you are labelled by even the people who are held in highest regard/responsible for making decisions that drastically affect your life.

As such, they will discriminate against you.

So stay safe out there .

So you know the 'appalling nature of stereotypes', yet you choose to stereotype the entire Justice System?

Have you any idea of the level of investigation surrounding ALL fatal road collisions? Clearly not, as there is no way they spend all that time and money just to automatically apportion blame to the sports car driver or bike rider!

To be honest, I find your post to be just as ill-conceived and prejudiced as many of the comments below the crappy newspaper article!

It's Evolution Baby!

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 28/9/10 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
So you know the 'appalling nature of stereotypes', yet you choose to stereotype the entire Justice System?

Err, no.

Fact - the Judge/MagistrateJury will make a decision.
Fact - The Judge/Magistrate/Jury will not have been at the event.

If you would like to detail your findings, I am happy to take them onboard.

However, from my experiences and what I was told, that is very much fact.

Oh, I was also assaulted and threatened by a Police Officer. The same Police Officer then said I tried to leave the scene of an accident after accusing me of stealing my car.

So forgive me for basing my posts on the facts.

scootz

posted on 28/9/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry... was that meant to be some sort of constructive defence of your post?

Is it a case of you genuinely NOT being able to see your double-standards, or just NOT wanting to put your hands up to them... ???

It's Evolution Baby!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.