Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: whoops
chrisxr2

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
whoops

Pulled my dipstick out to check the oil today before taking the haynes roadster out and the bottom of the dipstick snapped of and tinkled off into the sump. Bugger. Tried everywhere to get a long magnetic attatchment to try that, looks like draining the oil and then probably removing the sump, not good. Anyone know if i will need a new gasket foe the sump?? or is there one? 1.6 pinto engine.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Peteff

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
It can't go up the strainer on the pick up pipe so don't worry about it. Look for a magnetic sump plug and change the oil to fit it. You will need a new gasket to refit the sump.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Strontium Dog

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
DP!

[Edited on 20/10/10 by Strontium Dog]

Strontium Dog

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
It may come out when you drain the oil if you're really lucky. I have a small magnet on an alloy shaft that would fit into most drain plug holes. Mines made by Facom but I've seen similar ones in the market and cheap tool shops!

As to the sump gasket you may get away with it and you may need some (apply sparingly) silicon instant bodge I mean gasket!

adithorp

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed. Leave it where it is, it'll do no harm. If you're worried either fit a magnetic sump plug or if you don't want to drain the sump, just get a strong magnet and stick to the side of the sump.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Use an old speaker, they have nice big magnets.
jacko

posted on 20/10/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's not a big job to remove / refit a sump no a pinto so why not do the job right ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
It's not a big job to remove / refit a sump no a pinto so why not do the job right ?

Ditto - I'd be paranoid about going over a bump at speed and it getting in the way of the crank...

Stuart_B

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
i would, just, drain the oil, hope it comes out, if i can not see it, take the sump off, and clean it out and re fit with a new gasket.

see i know last time i used a cheap gasket brand new, i lost all off my oil, when i was 30 miles away from home.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

hillbillyracer

posted on 20/10/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
On a lot of engines I would'nt worry but on something that gets driven with enthusiasm, mabye hit a bump at speed etc I'd be always a bit worried too. I dont know that it'd manage to do much harm but it's bug me!

I once dropped the sump off a 6cyl tractor & found 3 small padlocks & a key that did'nt fit them, all small enough to fit down down the 30mm wide dipstick/filler pipe!
The owner had no explanation & he'd owned it from new, the rough cast finish of the sump was worn into the brass locks so they'd been there a while.

stevegough

posted on 20/10/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
er... what's a dipstick?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

myke pocock

posted on 21/10/10 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
A dipstick? Just look at the current incumbent of Number 10.
Ninehigh

posted on 21/10/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
A dipstick? Just look at the current incumbent of Number 10.

He's not too bad, it's the git at number 19 that annoys us! Staring out of his window and grumble grumble

chrisxr2

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
nope

drained the sump, no joy, awaiting delivery to ford of a sump gasket, all 37p of it.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

jacko

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
If this helps you i clean the sump / engine block with degreaser then i stick the gasket on the block with evo-stic, then i put gasket paste on the sump
I also cut the head off 4 long bolts, screw them in the block to help you line every thing up
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisxr2

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
thanks

nice one thanks

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.