Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing dolly for trackdays...?
GeoffT

posted on 10/12/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Towing dolly for trackdays...?

Was thinking about the possibly of using one of these for transporting a road legal locost to trackday venues. I don't want to start yet another thread on the legality of these things, I know it's been discussed many times before, my take is gonna be that it's legal as an unbraked trailer under 750kgs and hope I don't have too many roadside discusssions about it......

Which leads me to my question really - what is the reality and practicality of using these things nowadays? Do you end up in endless roadside discussions with the boys in blue? Can they be safely towed at any reasonable sort of motorway (60-ish) speed? Are they a pita to fit/remove? If you've used one I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Geoff.

marcjagman

posted on 10/12/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
A frames are perfectly legal. Tow dollys are only allowed for emergency purposes in a nut shell.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/12/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ive never been stopped when using these, although they have been recovery, rather than transport.

They are easy enough to fit, can be awkward first time getting it tightened properly.

Will tow at any speed, tho i'm not sure its worth the risk....

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

JoelP

posted on 10/12/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that A frames are also only for recovery, though like the OP im not bothered either way and will get one soon. However, it does pay to know the facts, as you could implicate yourself if you thought it was legal - simply saying you are recovering it to a place of safety could avoid a charge.

Never used one OP, so i cant tell you what its like.

NigeEss

posted on 10/12/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Had mine for about 15 years now and lost track of how many times it's been used.
70% recovery use rest for simply moving cars around. Very easy to use. Just make
sure you stop after the first mile to tighten things up.

Only ever been stopped once, that was on the M1 not long after I built the frame.
Had a 1987 Celica (dead) on the frame and a Chevette as the towing car ! (yes I
do now appreciate the stupidity of it ) Only thing the Traffic cop was concerned
about was that the trailer light board was on the rear window not the very back
of the car. Put side lights on Celica and carried on my merry way.

These days I always use the 90 or my Discovery to tow.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Richard Quinn

posted on 10/12/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Handy enough but I wouldn't fancy the chains around the wishbones bit.
Davegtst

posted on 10/12/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
See if you can pick up an old ex AA one. They are very heavy duty and have straps that go round the wishbones instead of chains. They even came with a Heath Robinson braking device which i never used but it was there just to keep plod quiet. I've used them loads of times and they tow pretty well except you can't take sharp corners easily as they try to cut accross the kerb. A mate of mine tows his renault 5 rally car around to events and has never had any trouble. I sold mine a few years ago for £150, another friend might still have one if it's any good.

[Edited on 10/12/10 by Davegtst]

Canada EH!

posted on 10/12/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I towed my racecar for two seasons that way, 50-100 miles one way, no problems.
Just remember to unlock the steering if fitted steering lock as the towed car front wheel need to be able to turn.

GMPMotorsport

posted on 10/12/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Have seen a few people at race meeting regret bringing the car on a dolly/A frame, they have an "off" damage the car and can't get it home! Get a cheap trailor theres loads around and worth the extra cost IMHO.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeoffT

posted on 11/12/10 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies fellas, not too many negatives there, might have to look further into getting one of these.

I'm also a bit concerned about having chains wrapped around relatively skinny and delicate locost wishbones, maybe they could be protected with some split hose or similar.

Possibly a bit less chance of a serious 'off' on a trackday (as against a competitive race meeting) - I'm hoping I can make other arrangements to get it home if I do bend it...

Geoff.

designer

posted on 11/12/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've been told that they are both for breakdowns only. And you can't do more that 50mph at that.

If you are towing a road legal car to a track, why not drive it there?

Road legal does mean taxed, tested and insured on both methods of transport.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
myke pocock

posted on 11/12/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Another thing you may like to consider is, does your insurance cover the use of one if you have an accident and the oppos insurance starts to ask difficult questions? I used to A frame my trials Skoda but recently bought a trailer as I was told that, particularly on the M6, plod was getting very crusty about A frames. Thats why Brian James and other manufacturers have started to make Smart car size trailers as those drivers of the humungus mobile homes had started to get stopped as well.
StrikerChris

posted on 11/12/10 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think most of the plods know the ins and outs of the law.my attitude is if it looks safe and legal they don't take an interest.the only time I hear of similar getting pulled over is when the autograss is on down the road,and it doesn't surprise me to be honest!20k's worth of fun dangling off a near snapped trailer with no lights,and a boot lace to hold it on seems the norm lol.
JoelP

posted on 18/12/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
i think plod often just judge you by how you look and talk to them, as i got pulled with a ridiculously big trailer (i mean, 5m long, 2.2 wide and 2 high) with no number plate on it, and they just sent me home to make a plate. Must've liked me

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.