Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi!
big_john

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi!

Hey there fellow locost fans. (put this here as didn't know where else to put it)

Little about me, I'm a 21 yr old student, studying mechanical engineering at newcastle. Huge interest in cars and such.

I have been interested in kit cars for a few years now, especially the Locost. Even more so after my parents gave me the "Build your own Sports car on a budget" book for xmas.

I've pestered my dad for the past few weeks. Speccing up my car etc. He's getting quite annoyed now lol

I have a few questions: how tall is everyone who has one? Since I am 6ft3, and of the larger built variety. Just wondering if i'd fit lol

has anyone used the pre-cut kits that are available on ebay, made by "talonmotorfabrication"? if so, how is the quality. As I don't feel confident, plus don't really have the facilities to cut the steel myself. SO thought this would be a nice little short cut.

Hopefully going to start my project in June, once my exams are done, and I'm back home from uni.

Thanks
Jon

kipper

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
welcome to the mad house,
I am sure you will find all the answers to your future build from the guys on here, as to your size..... there have been giants building cars so don't think it,s an issue.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

NigeEss

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum

Plenty of tall guys here who fit into the book chassis fine. Not heard any bad reports
about the Talon chassis pack. They also do a built chassis.

In your other post about registrations, there is a points system that DVLA use to
determine when you can retain the donor reg but at the mo I can't find a link.

One thing I must mention before others do, please use the search button at the
top of the main page as most things (especially early stage build) have been
covered many times.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Strontium Dog

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome John.

I believe that Rons chassis can be a bit tight so you might want to look at the mcsorely chassis http://www.sevenesque.com/plans/ or the Haynes roadster or the Tiger Avon.

I've built a few Avons and they are OK but the book assumes that you know what you are doing and the plans contain mistakes. Nothing you can't sort out and I've tweaked the chassis I have built as well as modified them to take ally rear tubs. I use longer front wishbones to square the car up too.

The above chassis are for IRS (except the Mcsorely)and as such are better for the road IMHO

I can't comment on the pre cut chassis but there are plenty on here that have used them so you should get some feedback. I have a bandsaw which makes light work of 1.6mm box but a hacksaw will do. I once built a chassis with a dewalt cordless reciprocating saw which worked well.

[Edited on 6/1/11 by Strontium Dog]

big_john

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies guys. good to hear that this place is helpful, as you get some forums that hate new people.

totally didn't notice the search function at the top of the page, sorry about that lol

by haynes roadster, do you mean the one in the Chris Gibbs book? and I was assuming that's what the pre-cut talon chassis was as well

now i just need to get my welding up to scratch, as I have done the total of about 40 mins welding in my life!!!

[Edited on 6/1/11 by big_john]

ReMan

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
This may alleviate the confusion noobie
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=141757

Talon's is the Haynes chassis.
For £450-500 built, I'd let someone else weld it!
Welcome

[Edited on 6/1/11 by ReMan]

MakeEverything

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a pre cut set from Ebay, and it was 99% there. The parts that were missing were replaced FOC. Search me and the subject, and im sure youll find something.

I abandoned the build in the end and have the chassis hanging from the rafters!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

big_john

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
This may alleviate the confusion noobie
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=141757

Talon's is the Haynes chassis.
For £450-500 built, I'd let someone else weld it!
Welcome

thanks for that mate, has got rid of the confusion

surely the post that says

Ron's car=£250
Haynes=£3000+

is a massive exageration. say 500 for the chassis welded, £200 if you weld it yourself. plus say £200 max for donor car/parts. Plus I already have a pinto+gearbox in the shed. And me and my dad have more than enugh technical nouse to build it. just the welding lol

so i'd say £750 max maybe, depending on how lucky you are with parts/ebay

thanks for even more reassurance makeeverything. any reasons why it got abandoned?

ReMan

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
"Ron's car=£250
Haynes=£3000+

is a massive exageration. say 500 for the chassis welded, £200 if you weld it yourself. plus say £200 max for donor car/parts. Plus I already have a pinto+gearbox in the shed. And me and my dad have more than enugh technical nouse to build it. just the welding lol "

He he, wait till the shiny things demon takes over, you better start saving your loan money, unless you're not going to put it on the road?

blakep82

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
he he £750 max, yeah...
you don't want to know what mine's cost. i don't want to know what mine's cost!

think my steering collumn was about a quarter of that budget already

[Edited on 6/1/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

big_john

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
"Ron's car=£250
Haynes=£3000+

is a massive exageration. say 500 for the chassis welded, £200 if you weld it yourself. plus say £200 max for donor car/parts. Plus I already have a pinto+gearbox in the shed. And me and my dad have more than enugh technical nouse to build it. just the welding lol "

He he, wait till the shiny things demon takes over, you better start saving your loan money, unless you're not going to put it on the road?

well yeh, shiny stuff will get my attention. but as i think about it. i'm planning on doing the bare minimum to get it past the IVA test etc. then afterwards i can think about adding stuff to it.

p.s. i know this probably won't happen, but we can all hope

ReMan

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Reality check?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=132595

Plenty of these sort of threads on here for the finding

big_john

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
ah ok. i'm not going to be disheartened though lol

i still recon it could be done

blakep82

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
it'll be interesting to see exactly how much you do spend if you are being super careful. you'd have to use everything off the doner, including switches and clocks (speedo etc, which to be honest won't look brilliant i don't think) engine hoses and stuff would be reused, it'll be an interesting build to follow
what do you think you might do for bodywork? will you make your own or buy it from a manufacturer?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

big_john

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
at this stage i'm not 100% sure.

all the aluminium parts i would cut and fold myself (well with help from dad) and would hopefully get some good ebay deals for the wings and nosecone.

i wouldn't be afraid of buying damaged parts and repairing them

as for the clocks etc. it would be mainly for passing the IVA test. and then swapping them for nicer looking parts when good deals came up/ good scavenging occured

ReMan

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
No don't be disheartened, but better to have a realistic budget than to end up with a part built.
Plus you will find that it often cost less to do things right first time than to plan upgrades in before it's finished
Dont forget the cost of the IVA etc
Good luck

blakep82

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
repairing damaged body parts is a good idea to reduce costs anyway i think.
i'm not building a locost/7 type thing, so i don't know exactly whats what when it comes to using doner parts, there's 6 different cars and 1 motor bike involved in my car lol, plus loads more parts specific to my chassis, and one of custom parts i've had made, so i was never going to be very careful with costs and stuff.

all my body panels are 2nd hand, most were broken in half. but i got them, and a load of other good stuff (suspension, brakes, carbon dashboard, steering rack etc) for a few hundred quid, where a new full set of body panels for my car is over £3k plus vat, so big savings can be made

big_john

posted on 6/1/11 at 02:20 AM Reply With Quote
it's all a pipe dream at the minute. just getting a rough idea of things. plus it gives me time to save up some moneys.

also, please say that the IVA test isn't £450!

lewis

posted on 6/1/11 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_john
it's all a pipe dream at the minute. just getting a rough idea of things. plus it gives me time to save up some moneys.

also, please say that the IVA test isn't £450!

yep+£90 for each retest

kj

posted on 6/1/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome, if you want a pre cut chassis kit see Handy Andy on here or the haynes site, good bloke and very helpfull as all locostbuilders.

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

RichardK

posted on 6/1/11 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yep second Handyandy, he's up by you too, Saturn Sportscars so could maybe collect saving postage!

His kits are for the roadster, I built a mcsorely, plans are available on the new foc and have a few varients, cos I'm a tall fat get, I built a +442 which is 4" longer 4" wider and 2" higher (ok for taller engines)

As said please use the search It'll save you loads of time.

Cheers

Rich

Oh and welcome!

[Edited on 6/1/11 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lotusmadandy

posted on 6/1/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum John.

I was going to recommend Handy Andy as well,he's a top
bloke and will do his best to help.As will we all

Andy

nick205

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jon,

Welcome aboard, as you've seen a friendly and knowledgable group of people in these parts.

Re: budgeting for the build, I think it's vital you have an accrate idea of what it will cost.

Even re-using all you can from the donor will incur costs such as refurbing/renewing brake parts, modifying parts (e.g. prop shaft) and so on. One prime example is CV boots which always need replacing and will set you back a minimum of £40 to complete all 4 boots.

If you have access to all the tools and experience needed this will reduce costs, but 99% of us will have had to buy certain tools and pay for work to be done - e.g. modified sumps, reamed upright tapers and so on.

On the materials and consumables side there are items such as grinding discs, paint, rivets, cable, welding wire/gas, p-clips, oil, coolant, brake fluid, nuts bolts washers, glue, trim, brake pipe/fittings......the list goes on and on and the cost can really accumulate over the course of the build.

Taking your time (commonly years rather than months) will spread the cost, but it can be difficult to maiatin momentum and complete the build.

On top of that there's the IVA costs + registration (£50 IIRC), road tax (typically £100 min. for 6 months), number plates (£30 a pair) and then you will get through a good bit of fuel once on the road.

Please don't take this as a negative view, it's a real buzz building a car and even more so driving it. It's a real bummer ending up with a garage full of bits worth less than you paid for them.

Best of luck and hope you get there!

Cheers
Nick

[Edited on 6/1/11 by nick205]

fesycresy

posted on 6/1/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you wanted to make your own chassis, maybe as an accomplishment or to say you did it all, then fair enough.

But I would buy a chassis from Aries Motorsport and when you come to sell, it's an ST / Aries chassis, not a home made one.

Speak to them, as I'm sure their chassis is still to book, (not the IRS) you can still fabricate the wishbones, panhard rod, trailing arms etc, yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/1/11 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John and welcome to the nutshop

I am 6' 4" and 16st, I went down the McSorley route (+442) and must admit, I think it was a wise choice for me, I've not tried the standard 'Ron' car so can't comment, but the good thinkg about the 442 is at leaast there is plenty of room for the seats which can sometimes be an issue for the 'larger' among us

The only down side I would say is the fact that the front wishbones need to be longer to keep the track ration front-back similar, which also meant in my case modifying the chassis to move the pick-off points. Also, If you go for a live axle, you need a longer (52"in my case) axle. If IRS then it's not an issue.

If you need any more advice on the 442 let me know and I will be glad to give you any info I've gathered.

John

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.