Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT - Emissions question
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 18/4/11 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
MOT - Emissions question

Now i've finished the engine change, it just occured to me that i've no idea what emissions regs i'll need to meet.

The car:

Q plate striker registered in 2005 with a CVH engine, now running 2ltr zetec.

my AFR isa round 12.2 through the revs, can anyone give me a clue on whether i'm likely to be legal?

Ta

cerbera

posted on 18/4/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm aware it won't matter as being a 'Q' plate means it's just a visible smoke test.

HTH

adithorp

posted on 18/4/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cerbera
As far as I'm aware it won't matter as being a 'Q' plate means it's just a visible smoke test.

HTH

Not actually true... although you may get lucky with a tester who thinks that.

The emmision limits will be on the front of your V5 . Earlier Q plates are just vis' smoke. SVA'd cars are the same as tested at SVA (and IVA). So it depends on the year of the engine as fitted at SVA. It's probably a pre'95 CVH, so <3.5% CO and <1200ppm HC at idle.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

deezee

posted on 18/4/11 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

HTH

I'm afraid your information is 13 years out of date. This was once the case before 1998, but things have changed since the introduction of the SVA / IVA. The Q plate is issued by the DVLA and bears no importance to what the emissions of the car are. Whatever the levels were during the SVA / IVA is what the car will have to pass for its MOT for the rest of its life. So if you had a Non Cat test (Co2 <= 3.5% and HC <= 1200ppm) for the SVA in 2005, thats what the car will have to pass now you have changed your engine.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 18/4/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

Where can I find this on the V5?

Am i likely to struggle to pass running a zetec on carbs with no Cat?

adithorp

posted on 18/4/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Should be at the bottom of the front page IIRC. Shouldn't be a problem to get through as you can just weaken the mixture at idle. Might not run brilliantly but it'll pass.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

cerbera

posted on 18/4/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

HTH

Not actually true... although you may get lucky with a tester who thinks that.

The emmision limits will be on the front of your V5 . Earlier Q plates are just vis' smoke. SVA'd cars are the same as tested at SVA (and IVA). So it depends on the year of the engine as fitted at SVA. It's probably a pre'95 CVH, so <3.5% CO and <1200ppm HC at idle.

quote:
Originally posted by deezee
quote:

HTH

I'm afraid your information is 13 years out of date. This was once the case before 1998, but things have changed since the introduction of the SVA / IVA. The Q plate is issued by the DVLA and bears no importance to what the emissions of the car are. Whatever the levels were during the SVA / IVA is what the car will have to pass for its MOT for the rest of its life. So if you had a Non Cat test (Co2 <= 3.5% and HC <= 1200ppm) for the SVA in 2005, thats what the car will have to pass now you have changed your engine.

Oh well, at least I know now.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.