Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fire Extinguishers
myke pocock

posted on 8/5/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Fire Extinguishers

Apart from a fully plumbed in system, what is the next best type and size of fire extinguisher to fit in a 7 style vehicle? I take it that theres no point in having one if it wont deal with an average type fire in a car?
MakeEverything

posted on 8/5/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
ive thought long and hard about this.

I would benefit greatly from a plumbed in system, given that the engine is next to the fuel tank and a couple of inches behind my head. However, ive also thought about activation - deliberate as well as accidental.

I dont fancy an engine bay full of foam when i really dont need it (accidental or malicious), so ive got a handheld in the cabin, in case i have the opportunity to try and save the car. To be honest, i think that by the time i get myself and my passenger out, the chances of putting the fire out safely are going to be remote.

My handheld is dry powder.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

craig1410

posted on 8/5/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 2Kg dry powder type under the passenger side dashboard (bolted to firewall) so it is out of sight, to hopefully avoid malicious activation and yet easy to reach. I got mine from Halfords for £29.99 or £39.99 I think. It might be this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_208033_langId_-1_categoryId_165536

I also take it with us on camping trips and have it handy when doing anything else which could result in fire just in case.

I've also got a 5Kg CO2 cylinder in the garage.

As a last resort I've got a 500ml water extinguisher but it's capacity varies throughout the day and is not recommended for use on live electrical equipment...

[Edited on 8/5/2011 by craig1410]

norfolkluego

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my Zero 2000 plumbed in kit just over a year ago for £116 from Demon Tweeks. Very simple to install, has two nozzles, one for the cockpit, one for the engine bay. They come with an R clip (fits onto the foam bottle) to prevent activation by 'undesireables' (remember to take it out when you're driving).

[Edited on 8/5/11 by norfolkluego]

DH2

posted on 9/5/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
A plumbed-in system won't do alot to "an average type fire" anyway. A friend had his propshaft sever a fuel line on a race car, very quickly pulled up next to a post, and the marshals emptied EIGHT (count them) large extinguishers to put the resultant fire out. A plumbed in system might buy you some extra time to GTFO the car, but unlikely to save the car...

Personally, I carry as large a handheld as I can conveniently and safely fit, as it would be annoying to have a small fire and not be able to do anything, then have it turn into a bigger one. But the reality is that your personal safety is the priority.

Just something worth bearing in mind.

DH2

adithorp

posted on 9/5/11 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Most plumbed in ones havea limited number of nozzels so if you'reluck the fire is by one and if not they arent as effective.

I've got a Flameskill Flexitech system. It's basically a fire extinguisher attached to a length of flame sensitive pipe, sealed at the far end. You mount the bottle somewhere convienient and then run the pipe around wher you think fire most likely. In a fire it burns through the pipe and dumps the contents direct onto the seat of the blaze. More info here

[Edited on 9/5/11 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.