Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Did anyone else feel really sad when their kit sold?
Dangle_kt

posted on 30/7/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Did anyone else feel really sad when their kit sold?

at 5pm today I watched my kit drive off on the back of someone elses trailer.

I was so caught up in getting it sold, that it only hit me as it was disappearing round the corner, that I was really sad to see it go.

Kit cars are really personal, and whilst I didn't build it all mine myself - I did set the spec, build pretty big chunks of it, care for it, curse at it, and drive it like an idiot for more time than I care to think- they are pretty big parts of your life really I suppose. I've had it for 4 maybe 5 years in total, and spent countless hours tinkering, breaking and then fixing things.

Sad day - though its gone to new owner.

Only embarressing thing was the fella was £500 short! Good job my wife counted it for me, I wasn't going to bother. He was ok about it, but you know when you feel like someone thinks you are having them on - until he counted it for himself.

Still - all ended well - he is happy, and I am...well nearly £5k better off, but not exactly chuffed.

In the famous words of that old brummie, "parting is such sweet sorrow".

I'll still hang around the forum, as I love it and hope to own another kit one day.

Thank you for all the help and support getting my car built, road registered, enjoyed and then sold on - this forum (and the great members that make it what it is) is a brilliant place.

A specific thanks to

Steve
Joe
and Warren without their specific help I'd have 1) not got in this mess in the first place and 2) never have had as much fun!

[Edited on 30/7/11 by Dangle_kt]

big_wasa

posted on 30/7/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ive felt that way with bikes ive restored.
McLannahan

posted on 30/7/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah me too. Mine's now in Germany. I've sent the new owner a few emails but he's not even bothered responding - shame really.

I'm like this though with each car I get rid of - I have quite a bond with them all!

jase380

posted on 30/7/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
was sad to see mine go, mainly because we had more good weather in the 6 weeks after it sold than in the 2 years id had it !!
Fozzie

posted on 30/7/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Awww you have my sympathies....

I don't think I could handle the parting......

If I ever got to the point where I couldn't drive it any more, it wouldn't be sold, it would get
dismantled and stored away ..... I just couldn't ever sell it ....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/7/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
There's also the constant debate before the act, the "do I need to sell it?" The car may be in the way, not get used, be totally impractical, etc., etc. So many reasons, why to, and why not to.

Then the 'act', involving timewasters, idiots and some really blunt pencils.

Then you get the money in the bank, but it doesn't make you happy. You regret.....

...BUT

You can now look forward to something else and do it all again. Go on - start that Hayabusa powered Reliant Robin you've always promised yourself!

LBMEFM

posted on 30/7/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have restored/built several classic/kit cars and and each one I have sold I have been upset particulary my Frog-Sprite and my Robin Hood but I still have memories and pics. One day my MK (Micky) will leave me and once again I will have a lump in my throat.
JoelP

posted on 30/7/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
ive had to sell 2 due to lack of money, and havent managed to get another in maybe 3 or 4 years now. And thinking about it now, its going to be a long time til i can afford another

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Hellfire

posted on 30/7/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've been out in ours maybe once this year and the year before that, probably two or three times. But I don't think I could ever part with it, at least not yet.... Even though I've only driven it a handful of times in the last couple of years, I couldn't bear the thought of it not being in the garage and available to use as and when I please.

Phil

Wheels244

posted on 30/7/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear it's gone Andy.
We never did get to do the meet up on the Pennines.

I'm seriously thinking about taking mine off the market.
I was in two minds to sell it in the 1st place, the lure of Scootz's Single Seater project prompted me into advertising it.
I've just had a series of tyre kickers and silly offers so far from
my Ad on Pistonheads - god knows what eBay would be like !

[Edited on 30/7/11 by Wheels244]

clairetoo

posted on 30/7/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I keep threatening to sell mine...............but , somehow , I just wouldn't be `me' without it - it's been such a large part of my life , and mirrors my personality so well............

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Dangle_kt

posted on 30/7/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
It wasn't a decision that I came to lightly, it was very much a nessisary step rather than a whim.

The money will be put to practical use - with just the merest sliver being spent on a cheap fazer to keep the petrol head happy....

steve m

posted on 30/7/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I also could not sell my 7, its a very very big part of me, so much so i even hate it it when its MOTD, as some numpty gets to drive it
luckily, my current MOT guy is cool

If my car was a "kit car" it might be differnt, but, .....
ive owned a lotus elan 2+2 , a few MG midgets, an e-type, a Marcus 3ltr and others, and have always had a sad moment seeing them go

Me emocional, nooooooo................., hic hic sob!

mark chandler

posted on 30/7/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot see myself selling mine TBH, its scratch built so value is not high, as long as I have space to keep it then if only for a few track days a year will keep me happy.

Have an old 893 blade, thats not turned a road wheel for 5 years, just sits in the corner...

The only car a regret selling is a 80" landrover I built up on a discovery chassis, used to enjoy taking the dogs out in it and trialling + a few comp safari's sold it to build a pure comp safari motor then foot and mouth killed the sport

Mark Allanson

posted on 30/7/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I am going to be buried in mine - it is in my will!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Jon Ison

posted on 31/7/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
You could allways do what I did.

A couple of years after mine went (and yes it was a sad day) I got a phone call telling me it was on eBay, circumstances had changed and there was room in the garage so she came back and as been here ever since.

Was I naughty ?

I did have a couple of potential bidders contact me as the builder to ask about the car, I told them what a pile of poop it was knowing I was going to bid ? Sorry if your reading this any of you.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.