Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Noob intro
TAZZMAXX

posted on 17/10/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Noob intro

Hi,

My name is Gareth, I'm an engineer by trade and have my own fabrication business. Building a car from scratch has always been on my to do list and, having brought the Haynes Roadster book a few months back, it's now becoming a reality. I've brought all the steel box for the chassis and have sourced a 2 litre Pinto mated to a Type 9 gearbox which will be arriving this week. From another source I've got a reconditioned XR 4x4 3.62 LSD, bolt on drive shafts, hubs, calipers etc. The one item left to find that will let me get started is a pair of front uprights, I just never realised how hard to come by some of this Sierra stuff is now.

I'll get photos up as and when progress is made, I'd like to think that I can have the car completed for early next year as I want to get out on track with it. I'm not intending it to be a road car so it will probably lack the finesse of some of the cars you guys build. I've not been a lurker to the site so I've not had a good look round as yet but will do so over the coming weeks. I'm sure I'll pick up plenty of tips and advice for all those questions that need to be asked.

If this is posted in the wrong area, Admin feel free to move it.

Lastly, if anyone wonders why I have a strange username, it's what I use on another car forum so I thought I'd stick with it.

Cheers,

Gareth

scutter

posted on 17/10/11 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the mad house, have fum with th ebuild as that's what it SHOULD be

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DixieTheKid

posted on 17/10/11 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard!

COS IT'S Worth IT

mcerd1

posted on 17/10/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
welcome

stick a thread in the wanted section, someone here might have the uprights you need
I've got some front brake calipers going spare (would need recon) - the XR4i/260mm disc type ones

-

AndyW

posted on 17/10/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hello and welcome,

You wont find a better bunch than on here. No matter what the question, there is always some one who knows. Good luck with the build, have fun and remember lots of pics and when you get there, a "first start video" is mandatory!!

Andy

NigeEss

posted on 17/10/11 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, Hello and Welcome.

Secondly, I'll start the debate again (get your popcorn peeps).............
............you're building a track car, sack the Pinto and get a bike engine....
.......Go on.....you know you want to..............

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

RK

posted on 18/10/11 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
Troublemaker. The guy comes on innocently asking for help and instantly people are trying to get him out of a car engine and into a hairdryer...

Do mx5 uprights work on the haynes?

Best of luck; you'll be fine. You've already found the best place in the world for meaningful advice.

TAZZMAXX

posted on 18/10/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome guys. The Pinto stays for now even though it was second choice to a C20xe, I just want something simple and easy to get me started. I've nothing against bike engines but they're not something I'm particularly conversant with.

Re: MX5 uprights - no reason why they can't be used, just a slight geometry change to the wishbones. I've got the PDF download from Saturn for the mods to the Haynes plan to use a MK1 MX5 as the donor. As I said though, nice and easy to start with. I've got plans for another track car so don't want to go to town too much with this one.

DixieTheKid

posted on 18/10/11 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
The pinto is a good engine dont let people tell you otherwise, start with a 205 block if you can. You can alway come back to it later i.e. rebore to 93mm for the old 2.1L convertion. Good thing about the pinto is that parts are cheap (use parts too) and there are plently of them.

The pinto head also has huge ports to there so easy to tune to about 130 - 140 bhp with remoraging your house. Cam, pully and carbs of your choice depending on how much power your going for. You can even keep going from there, forged pistons, cossy crank & rods etc etc

Good choice if you ask me, you can always upgrade at a later date.

COS IT'S Worth IT

mcerd1

posted on 18/10/11 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
one thing to think about if you use MX5 uprights on the front and sierra hubs on the rear is you'll end up needing wheels with a mazda fitment on the front (4x114 I think) and ones with a ford 4x108 fitment on the rear (although some multi-fit wheels will cover that)

quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
The pinto is a good engine dont let people tell you otherwise, start with a 205 block if you can. You can alway come back to it later i.e. rebore to 93mm for the old 2.1L convertion. Good thing about the pinto is that parts are cheap (use parts too) and there are plently of them.

The pinto head also has huge ports to there so easy to tune to about 130 - 140 bhp with remoraging your house. Cam, pully and carbs of your choice depending on how much power your going for. You can even keep going from there, forged pistons, cossy crank & rods etc etc

all true, but a 2.1 pinto with forged pistons, cossie rod's, etc. isn't the cheap way to make power
a 2.0 duratec will make 145 / 150 out of of the box with loads of potential and less weight, so the sensable thing would be to fit the pinto and save your pennys for an engine swap later....
(if its IVA'd with the pinto you won't need t worry about emissions )

but having said all that I put cossie rods, crank and 93mm forged pistons my pinto

pajsh is selling a copy of the pinto tunning book at the moment:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=161960

[Edited on 18/10/2011 by mcerd1]

-

TAZZMAXX

posted on 18/10/11 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Will a Duratec bolt straight up to the type 9 or is the Zetec the last one that would?
mcerd1

posted on 18/10/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TAZZMAXX
Will a Duratec bolt straight up to the type 9 or is the Zetec the last one that would?

the 2.0 zetec's have basicaly the same bellhousing pattern as pinto's and most other ford 4cyl engines, but there are a couple of aftermarket bellhousings for duratec's onto type 9 boxes aswell so its no problem really

also the duratec has the exhaust and inlets the same way round as the pinto (the 1.8/2.0 zetec's are the opposite way) and the duratec is lighter and more powerful too

as much as I love the pinto and the blacktop zetec's its hard to deny the advantages of the duratec....

[Edited on 18/10/2011 by mcerd1]

-

DixieTheKid

posted on 18/10/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me and i already had pinto than i would stick with it, the zetec & the duratec are good engines dont get me wrong but are big money to tune and hassel to a noob (no offence) with the likes of engine management and so on.

Im no expert builder dont get me wrong but have been playing with cars since i was about 10 and this current Westy im building is my first one. But if this is you first build than carbs are the way forward in my eyes, as i said before you can always upgrade the engine or to TB's at a later date.

If you are using the type 9 you have loads for options to choose from with regards to engine change or choice, verious bellhousing's are available for all fords pretty much, vauxhall lumps and a few other such a rover v8's etc etc but be mindful that the standard type 9 is not that strong and will not cope well with a shed load of donkies running around underneeth that fibreglass bonnet.

Being anal (coz i love cossies), if the pinto aint quite quick enough for you and the bottom end is uprated as i mentioned, BANG a YB cossy head on it and a set of webbers........equalling a N/A cossy! now were talking............!

Here is the big BUT...... you can buy a brand spanking new black top for less than 800£ Link and your starting with 130bhp depending of what you buy. At the end of the day it always comes down to the bank balance (or manager if he likes you).

COS IT'S Worth IT

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.