Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: GBS Factory visit
cjwood23

posted on 8/3/12 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
GBS Factory visit

Guys,
Just a quick one really, went to the GBS factory the other day as I was in the area and thought I'd post my findings - might help others.

This was my first face to face dealings with the guys at GBS and I have to say I was impressed.
The enthusiasm shown by the staff was brilliant. Spent an hour in the workshop chatting to the guys in there and looking at a few builds - mostly customer builds being prepped for IVA.

There were cars in varying states of build which I had a good poke around and even a couple of the old RH chassis they were working on for people - it has to be said the GBS Zero is light years ahead of anything that RH produced.

The quality of the parts was quite high when you consider the price point. Also got to speak to a couple of guys who had popped in for parts they both seemed really pleased with the quality of kit they'd received.

The stock of parts (new and refurbed) was also pretty extensive, It also seems they're keen to increase the number of in house manufactured parts.

Ben took me for a blast in their demo car - running standard 2.0 Zetec with Emerald ECU mapped for 160bhp. Ride and handling were far better than I expected. No crashing and banging over bumps or cats eyes, no squeaky panels felt really well put together. The performance was pretty impressive adn the flexibility of the Zetec was a welcome change - seemed equally happy pootling through the villages as it did 'having the beans' on some of the lanes.

I have to say that the Zero has definatley gone back onto my list of potential builds. Hoping to get to see a couple more manufacturers over the coming months before I make a decision.

Chris

theduck

posted on 8/3/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
GBS are great to deal with if you are local enough to but there is a lot of bad feeling from the guys on rhocar who have to deal with them by phone/email
hootsno1

posted on 8/3/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I am currently building a zero and am more than Impressed with my kit and any parts that I have ordered have been delivery next day and as of yet have not seen any one on here knock them or say a bad thing about there parts and as for there demo any one that thinks they a bad kit have a go you will change you mind. I wouldn't wast any time looking at other kits just call them and put in you order

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

AndyW

posted on 8/3/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I live just over 100 miles from their factory. Luckily with work I travel alot and get the opportunity to call in when ever I need to. Kieth (Director) is always very welcoming, has time to chat even if he is busy. Your always welcome and encouraged to go into the workshop and have a good nose around.

Simon in the workshop is also very helpful. He has supplied me some very helpful info and as my Zero is an early one, they constantly help me out with improvements, and design upgrades. When i had to do the rear panel they now have metal templates to help form the bends and show drilling holes. He gave me the templates and said to send them back when finished.

All I can say is ( and I am biased as Im building one) is TOP customer service and it was this level of service and care that made me place my order with them at a show 2 years ago.

Its nice to see others posting positive comments and not reffering to them as the old robin hood. Alot has changed and long may it continue.

theduck

posted on 8/3/12 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just to say I am building an old hood and have had no dealings with either robin hood or GBS, I just go on the feedback on rhocar.
snapper

posted on 8/3/12 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
The difference from the old Robin Hood/ Richard Stewart days to now is a quantum leap.
The GBS service is no worse than any other kit manufacturer and in many cases probably better.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

A1

posted on 8/3/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
i must say ive never had anything to do with the new cars, but if i were them id be cutting any ties with robin hood.
wylliezx9r

posted on 8/3/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
i must say ive never had anything to do with the new cars, but if i were them id be cutting any ties with robin hood.

Well isn't that what they are doing ? They are now called GBS are they not ? No need to slate a good company when their obviously one of the good ones ! This is the type of company that should be praised.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

A1

posted on 8/3/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
wasnt slating them, as i said never seen the new car. however if you google GBS one of the first things you see under the company name is robin hood...
theduck

posted on 8/3/12 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.robinhoodsportscars.co.uk/

Hardly leaving the old name behind...

They do cater for the robinhoods still though so need some connection b

PSpirine

posted on 8/3/12 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard a lot of good things about GBS so I have a question:

Do they tend to offer discounts on kits at shows? I'm slightly tempted to get a GBS kit instead of building up a Haynes, and if they tend to do show offers, then I'll wait till Stoneleigh and see what they try and sell. Otherwise I'll just buy a flat-pack then!

theduck

posted on 8/3/12 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth asking on rhocar.
cjwood23

posted on 9/3/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
I've heard a lot of good things about GBS so I have a question:

Do they tend to offer discounts on kits at shows? I'm slightly tempted to get a GBS kit instead of building up a Haynes, and if they tend to do show offers, then I'll wait till Stoneleigh and see what they try and sell. Otherwise I'll just buy a flat-pack then!

Not sure of discounts, but have searched through a few threads on here and there seems to be mention of a 2468 package, which is over and above the standard kit for not much more money. Not sure what was included (think tank and rack possibley...) but might be worth dropping Richard at GBS a mail and asking them.

As I said, my email queries and face to face dealings so far with them have been good.

I also agree that 'maybe' they should try and distance themselves a bit more from RH, but that may alienate some of there existing (Old RH) customers.

They're also at Mallory Park on the 24th for a track day, I suggest anyone who's there to have a nose around the car you might be pleasantly suprised. Thinking of popping along and getting a passenger ride in the race spec chassis.

Chris

femster87

posted on 9/3/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
The 2468 kit was what I bought. It did include all the panels and gel coats.4 coilovers and a fuel tank IIRC. There are no show discounts that i can remember. But I bought mine in 2 stages as I did not have enough space to store in my garage. So 2 payments of £1234 at any interval that works for you. I got the chassis, arms and all my panels first. So that kept me busy for a while
PSpirine

posted on 9/3/12 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah the £2468 is what I was actually after but it's dropped off their website - will enquire in person about the availability of that offer! Cause it had the coilovers included..

Thanks all

Pavel

cjwood23

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
There was a letter of praise in CKC this month too. Also looks like there will be an article about GBS in CKC next month too.

Are any of the GBS owners on here close to the midlands?

Chris

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.