Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: arghh my first mechanical
sdh2903

posted on 12/8/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
arghh my first mechanical

Since I got my plates on Friday I've done a couple of short 20 mile shakedown runs and check tightened everything. This morning thought I'd go a bit further down to largs and up the coast and back towards home was having a decent run.

sun run
sun run

Then noticed my right arm was getting wet. Pulled over and my front driver side shock had done a seal and spewed all its oil out. Limped home and got the shock off ready to speak to procomp in the morning. Oh well at least it wasn't something that was my fault! not too gutted as I'm working the next few days and the weather forecast ain't great. Just hope it don't take too long to sort.

Other than that car was great. Still haven't got used to revving the spuds off it to get to the power band, most of the time I haven't a clue what gear I'm in and I'm glad I bought a helmet as three large beasties met their end on my visor today that wouldn't have been pleasant without it on!

[Edited on 12/8/12 by sdh2903]

DIY Si

posted on 12/8/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about the bugs. Bees are the worst as they don't have splat!!

And don't worry about the gears too much, you'll learn them as you get used to the car. When I first got my Indy Bird I had no idea what so ever which gear I was in unless the Neutral light was on! But with time you get to know how the revs and speed correlate and you will know which gear your in. Just don't forget that the revs don't go quite on forever. The amount of times I went for an overtake only to wonder why I wasn't speeding up any more!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

clairetoo

posted on 12/8/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
you were lucky - mine only ever breaks in foreign countries............I just limped home from Italy with a terminal death rattle from the gearbox , and the engine smoking heavily

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Daddylonglegs

posted on 12/8/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it's somethng we have to get used to chap? I've had my plates a few days and done 100 miles and already the car is a paperweight needing a new starter

Hand in wallet again tommorrow! As if it didn't cost me enought to get the car on the road in the first place!

hey ho, here's hoping.....

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

deezee

posted on 12/8/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've had my front wing work loose and try to reprofile my tyre, my rear indicator loose the bulb 3 times and my exhaust manifold lost 2 nuts? After years of being built, I assume my car misses the attention it used to get!

johnny chimpo

posted on 12/8/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sdh, sorry to hear about your problems at least it should be sImple enough to sort and it looks like the weather is to be runbish until at least the end of the week.

I actually did the same route today, down to largs over the hayley brae up to kilmalcolm and then home. Shame i didnt know you were out or we could have met up.

Hope you get car sorted soon.

Benzine

posted on 12/8/12 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903 This morning thought I'd go a bit further down to largs

Ice cream at Nardini's?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad4x4

posted on 13/8/12 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
My worst mechanical was failure of the engine mounts : engine landed about 1" off the ground and had to trailer home. Luckily only 5 miles away.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

sdh2903

posted on 13/8/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903 This morning thought I'd go a bit further down to largs

Ice cream at Nardini's?

I did plan on a little light refreshment at nardini's however as the sun was out I think the entire west coast had gone to largs so would have been a pain in the ass to park.

Having spoken to procomp the shock is on its way back to them for a looksee, they seemed quite shocked at a protech damper failing.

Sounds like I definitly got off lightly with my failer compared to some!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.