Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust manifold wrap and R1 exhaust
SPYDER

posted on 12/5/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust manifold wrap and R1 exhaust

Hi everyone. As part of the ongoing refurbishment of my Spyder Silverstone I have made a new exhaust manifold and fitted an R1 exhaust can. This exercise was mainly to alleviate the ground clearance problem I have always had with the existing system which ran under the car.
I sourced the bends from JP Exhausts and a proper merge collector off ebay. I made a mock up jig to help the job along and decided to tig it up myself, despite my lack of experience.
I know the primaries are unequal and a bit short but in all honesty it doesn't seem to have caused any woes.
The wrap is not the usual glass fibre type but is made from pulverised lava rock. Its a little more expensive but it's super strong and can be wrapped really tight. I decided to help it stay put with a nifty lock-wire lattice on the link pipe.
The R1 can looks to be hugely restrictive. I bought an extra one just for the hanging strap and set about cutting into it. Not easy I can tell you. The gases have to change direction twice and foilow a labyrinthine path.
The noise is very different to before, more of a whoosh than a thrum when pressing on. Definitely quieter though. It doesn't seem to have affected performance much, maybe just a little at high revs. I can't really tell.
I've recently repainted the wings, nosecone etc, courtesy of Sean Rowe Bodyworks. I did the prep myself but Sean shot the colour. I've also fitted a new grille.
Next on the agenda is to recover the bonnet. Or make a new one!

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

chris-g

posted on 12/5/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Looking tasty Geoff, now get them wheels painted a proper colour

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.