Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Luxury touches - integrated tool kit...
jps

posted on 12/9/13 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Luxury touches - integrated tool kit...

A frivolous thought at this stage - but i've been reading up on the fuel-tank-breather thread and thinking about fitting a boot eventually - one reason being that I can then carry a compact tool kit at all times - especially when touring.

Had a quick look on eBay - loads out there, at reasonable prices ;-) : Ferrari 365 Tool Kit Jack Roll Bag 365 GTB 4 Daytona Tools

I'm just trying to think of a solution that is a bit classier than 'wedged behind the passenger seat'. Anyone else done anything along these lines?

bi22le

posted on 12/9/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Our cars are never classy!

Its loud, rattly and hard to get in and out of. As the cool wall on top gear measures by, picking Sienna Miller up from a central london hot spot - NO WAY!!!

Boot bag full of tools on the fuel tank held down with velcro, thats me!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

theprisioner

posted on 12/9/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a Fiat 500 tool kit into the back of the spare wheel attached to the rear for touring. I did actually use it once in Shieldaig in Scotland. Worked fine. This part of the car is wasted space so why not put in a bit of insurance. After your posting I could not find a 500 tool kit on ebay but this came up as similar:

Item 261278889764

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

whitestu

posted on 12/9/13 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have a tool set from Lidl that has pretty much everything you might need in a plastic case in the boot. It was £20 so not too much of a risk if someone pinches it. I've only opened it once though and that was to check something that turner out to be fine!
Bluemoon

posted on 12/9/13 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully your car will be more reliable than the tool kit suggests the 365 are..

On a more sensible note, feel free I have one just in case. It has saved calling the breakdown truck once.. Having built the car I could select the tools needed in the tool bag

Dan

[Edited on 12/9/13 by Bluemoon]

DIY Si

posted on 12/9/13 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'd be daft not to carry at least a few spare tools and bits and if you have the chance to neatly tuck them away, them I'd do so. I used to have a few 10mm spanners behind my passenger seat purely because they'd rattled their way there and I couldn't reach them. Having somewhere secure to put them would've been a better approach!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

paulf

posted on 12/9/13 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well looking at that I think that the leather tool roll may be original Ferrari but the tools are just cheap spanners and screwdrivers as sold on any car boot or Sunday market.Not very good value for £14500, do they really expect to sell it for that?
Paul

Bare

posted on 13/9/13 at 02:49 AM Reply With Quote
that's Hilarious!
In my part of the world the typical Ferrari owner looks like he would have trouble undoing a Bra strap.
Using Chopsticks is seemingly the extent of manual dexterity.. evidenced by the inept gear shifting and abysmal parking skills.
A tool kit .. for What?

dhutch

posted on 13/9/13 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
My cars has got (came with) one of the Audi oil bottle pouches that come with the 2l diesal a4's etc.

Quite a nice think, about 2l in volume, velco on the back, with the matching velco on the top of the tunnel under the dash. Basically out of site, holds all the core basics*, and lives in the car permanently.

Ajustable/Screwdrivers/Pliers
Tape/jublieclip/hosejoiner/fuses
And a 3m length of wire on a fag lighter plug.

Daniel

Not Anumber

posted on 13/9/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
This is sound advice, Im going to make up a tool roll to keep with the car. The only thing i'm not sure what to do about is a portable jack. Presumably a small general purpose scissor jack would do at a pinch by the roadside but im wondering if theres something better out there for lifting 25mm square section chassis.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.